PDA

View Full Version : FFRF still at it

Professor Chaos
06-21-2007, 01:09 PM
They've been kicking some serious Christ ass lately, and aren't letting up. (http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/975953/atheists_sue_nd_over_youth_ranch/index.html?source=r_science)

anthonyjfuchs
06-21-2007, 03:40 PM
It's so very sad to know already in advance that Jesus-junkies will instinctively spin this as "see, atheists don't want us to help children." We (and of course I mean the FFRF) are trying to help children here; cutting off public funding for the christardation of our youth is the best help we can give them.

Of course, the other side of the coin is obviously that the camp can have all the funding it wants if it simply drops its blatant, and utterly unnecessary, theological bias. "You want government money? Stop shoving your religion down these kids' throats like a penis. You don't want to stop shoving your religion down these kids' throats like a penis? Then the Constitution says you can't have government money. You have a choice: stop shoving your religion down these kids' throats like a penis and help them instead, or don't help them. You would rather not help children at all rather then stop shoving your religion down these kids' throats like a penis?

"Why don't Christers want to help children?"

Wakkun
06-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Well if they are true chistards they should have no interest in the physical welfare of children, they should only be interested in children's souls (or arse 'oles in the case of catholic priests). Christologists should only care about the children inasmuch as they can survive long enough to be "saved", indoctrinated and sent out in to the world to spread the disease word. If that could be achieved by putting them in a barrel and feeding them through the bunghole, then they would do so. You only have to look at these concentration jeebus camps and re-indoctrination/punishment centres that they send their kids to. Not to mention christard child-rearing manuals by the like of James C.unt Dobson.

DrunkMonkey
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
AJF was dead on.

So what are they offering to replace the program for these troubled kids eh? One of the main factors in these criminally minded kids is the lack of morals and respect for the sanctity of life. It's the teachings the atheists have pushed to indoctrinate kids with in the schools that have helped to create this problem to start with

Stupid is as stupid does.

Telling them to be good for the sake of being good but with no real reason to just doesn't cut it ya morons.
Exactly. There isn't much else up here for this. A juvenile system that basically doesn't work, and the Boy's & Girls Ranch. Even they only have about a 40% success rate, but 40% is better than 0%. The group that's suing doesn't care about who is helped. Apparently they think everyone can go down the tubes. They just want a court victory under their belt for fund raising purposes, and this looked like easy pick'ins.
http://www.rr-bb.com/showthread.php?t=6056

Professor Chaos
06-22-2007, 11:21 AM
Do you actually spend time in those forums, DM? If so, you're a braver sould than I. I'd claw my own eyes out at the stupidity.

antix
06-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Do you actually spend time in those forums, DM? If so, you're a braver sould than I. I'd claw my own eyes out at the stupidity.
I agree, it takes a stout individual to wade through that inane babbling. But on the other hand it's nice to have someone running the covert operations of gathering intelligence information. Kudos to our very own Drunk Monkey. Here's to your bravery and cunning :cheers:

DrunkMonkey
06-23-2007, 12:36 PM
No, I just drop in to read them for fun every once in awhile. More than 15 minutes a week and my brain would try and escape my head through violent diarrhea.

Wakkun
06-23-2007, 01:06 PM
The avatars alone make me want to claw my eyes out.

Philboid Studge
06-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Win some, lose some. As is so often the case, the issue turns on what seems like a technicality: "The Bush administration says taxpayers should not be allowed to challenge the government's conferences because Congress did not earmark funds for a specific program and no funds were distributed outside the government. The White House pulled money for the conferences out of general appropriations."

Supreme Court Bars Suit on Faith Initiative
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 11:08 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court ruled Monday that ordinary taxpayers cannot challenge a White House initiative that helps religious charities get a share of federal money.

The 5-4 decision blocks a lawsuit by a group of atheists and agnostics against eight Bush administration officials including the head of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

The taxpayers' group, the Freedom From Religion Foundation Inc., objected to government conferences in which administration officials encourage religious charities to apply for federal grants.

Taxpayers in the case ''set out a parade of horribles that they claim could occur'' unless the court stopped the Bush administration initiative, wrote Justice Samuel Alito. ''Of course, none of these things has happened.''

The justices' decision revolved around a 1968 Supreme Court ruling that enabled taxpayers to challenge government programs that promote religion.

The 1968 decision involved the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which financed teaching and instructional materials in religious schools in low-income areas.

''This case falls outside'' the narrow exception allowing such cases to proceed, Alito wrote.

In dissent, Justice David Souter said that the court should have allowed the taxpayer challenge to proceed.

The majority ''closes the door on these taxpayers because the executive branch, and not the legislative branch, caused their injury,'' wrote Souter. ''I see no basis for this distinction.''

With the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, President Bush says he wants to level the playing field. Religious charities and secular charities should compete for government money on an equal footing.

White House spokeswoman Emily Lawrimore called the ruling ''a substantial victory for efforts by Americans to more effectively aid our neighbors in need of help.''

She said the faith-based and community initiative can remain focused on ''strengthening America's armies of compassion.''

The White House program appears to have had a substantial impact.

In fiscal 2005, seven federal agencies awarded $2.1 billion to religious charities, according to a White House report. That was up 7 percent from the year before and represented 10.9 percent of the grants from the seven federal agencies providing money to faith-based groups.

Among the programs: Substance abuse treatment, housing for AIDS patients, community re-entry for inmates, housing for homeless veterans and emergency food assistance.

The Bush administration says taxpayers should not be allowed to challenge the government's conferences because Congress did not earmark funds for a specific program and no funds were distributed outside the government. The White House pulled money for the conferences out of general appropriations.

Sternwallow
06-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Win some, lose some. As is so often the case, the issue turns on what seems like a technicality: "The Bush administration says taxpayers should not be allowed to challenge the government's conferences because Congress did not earmark funds for a specific program and no funds were distributed outside the government. The White House pulled money for the conferences out of general appropriations."

Supreme Court Bars Suit on Faith Initiative
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 11:08 a.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court ruled Monday that ordinary taxpayers cannot challenge a White House initiative that helps religious charities get a share of federal money.

The 5-4 decision blocks a lawsuit by a group of atheists and agnostics against eight Bush administration officials including the head of the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives.

The taxpayers' group, the Freedom From Religion Foundation Inc., objected to government conferences in which administration officials encourage religious charities to apply for federal grants.

Taxpayers in the case ''set out a parade of horribles that they claim could occur'' unless the court stopped the Bush administration initiative, wrote Justice Samuel Alito. ''Of course, none of these things has happened.''

The justices' decision revolved around a 1968 Supreme Court ruling that enabled taxpayers to challenge government programs that promote religion.

The 1968 decision involved the Elementary and Secondary Education Act, which financed teaching and instructional materials in religious schools in low-income areas.

''This case falls outside'' the narrow exception allowing such cases to proceed, Alito wrote.

In dissent, Justice David Souter said that the court should have allowed the taxpayer challenge to proceed.

The majority ''closes the door on these taxpayers because the executive branch, and not the legislative branch, caused their injury,'' wrote Souter. ''I see no basis for this distinction.''

With the White House Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, President Bush says he wants to level the playing field. Religious charities and secular charities should compete for government money on an equal footing.

White House spokeswoman Emily Lawrimore called the ruling ''a substantial victory for efforts by Americans to more effectively aid our neighbors in need of help.''

She said the faith-based and community initiative can remain focused on ''strengthening America's armies of compassion.''

The White House program appears to have had a substantial impact.

In fiscal 2005, seven federal agencies awarded $2.1 billion to religious charities, according to a White House report. That was up 7 percent from the year before and represented 10.9 percent of the grants from the seven federal agencies providing money to faith-based groups.

Among the programs: Substance abuse treatment, housing for AIDS patients, community re-entry for inmates, housing for homeless veterans and emergency food assistance.

The Bush administration says taxpayers should not be allowed to challenge the government's conferences because Congress did not earmark funds for a specific program and no funds were distributed outside the government. The White House pulled money for the conferences out of general appropriations.

So, I guess the government is totally out of control and we are screwed.

Mr. Bush, thank you, sir, may I have another?

inkadu
06-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Well, the good news is that the president's office might not actually be part of the executive branch, so this judgement may not apply.

Eva
06-26-2007, 01:44 PM
inky, where the fuck have you been???

inkadu
06-26-2007, 01:49 PM
inky, where the fuck have you been???
Pharyngula.

And pron.

Miss me?

Eva
06-26-2007, 01:51 PM
oh yeah, pron is good.