PDA

View Full Version : Tax dollars at work.

Professor Chaos
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
Some worthless cunt decided that our Congress just had to recognize “the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.” (http://friendlyatheist.com/2007/12/12/is-christianity-important-the-vote-was-today/)

I fucking hate people.

RESOLUTION
Recognizing the importance of Christmas and the Christian faith.

Whereas Christmas, a holiday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated annually by Christians throughout the United States and the world;

Whereas there are approximately 225,000,000 Christians in the United States, making Christianity the religion of over three-fourths of the American population;

Whereas there are approximately 2,000,000,000 Christians throughout the world, making Christianity the largest religion in the world and the religion of about one-third of the world population;

Whereas Christians identify themselves as those who believe in the salvation from sin offered to them through the sacrifice of their savior, Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and who, out of gratitude for the gift of salvation, commit themselves to living their lives in accordance with the teachings of the Holy Bible;

Whereas Christians and Christianity have contributed greatly to the development of western civilization;

Whereas the United States, being founded as a constitutional republic in the traditions of western civilization, finds much in its history that points observers back to its roots in Christianity;

Whereas on December 25 of each calendar year, American Christians observe Christmas, the holiday celebrating the birth of their savior, Jesus Christ;

Whereas for Christians, Christmas is celebrated as a recognition of God’s redemption, mercy, and Grace; and

Whereas many Christians and non-Christians throughout the United States and the rest of the world, celebrate Christmas as a time to serve others: Now, therefore be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives–

(1) recognizes the Christian faith as one of the great religions of the world;

(2) expresses continued support for Christians in the United States and worldwide;

(3) acknowledges the international religious and historical importance of Christmas and the Christian faith;

(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by Christians and Christianity in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;

(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against Christians, both in the United States and worldwide; and

(6) expresses its deepest respect to American Christians and Christians throughout the world.

In the link I provided earlier, The Friendly Atheist notes the brave 9 - count 'em 9 - individuals (all Democrats, imagine that!) who voted against this nonsense.

Who in their right mind would vote against such a pro-Christian bill?

The usual good guys:

Gary Ackerman (D-NY)
Yvette Clarke (D-NY)
Diana DeGette (D-CO)
Alcee Hastings (D-FL)
Barbara Lee (D-CA)
Jim McDermott (D-WA)
Bobby Scott (D-VA)
Lynn Woolsey (D-CA)
And the non-theistic hero:

Pete Stark (D-CA)

Lurker
12-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I agree it's a stupid thing for congress to spend it's time on. I'd rather congress did less, not more, but that's another topic for another day. Here's one interesting bit of info I found on this:

Rep. Steve King said he was upset with the nine lawmakers — all Democrats — who voted against his resolution even they did not vote against two earlier measures, one supporting Islam and the holy month of Ramadan, and the other supporting a number of Indian religions..

To repeat, I don't think congress should get involved in any of this stuff to begin with, but I do think the inconsistent voting says something about the detractors. I'll let you form your own conclusions.

Professor Chaos
12-12-2007, 01:05 PM
I agree, Lurker. Vote 'no' on all of them.

Though I'm sure I totally disagree with whatever conclusion you've drawn about the detractors.

Professor Chaos
12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
Who wants to write the atheist versi...

Oh, God damn it! They're playing that fucking Christmas Shoes song again! I have to go stab myself in the ears...

Lurker
12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
VNsvE33pRSw

Professor Chaos
12-12-2007, 01:59 PM
No Youtube at work, so if that's Christmas Shoes you can't torture me!

Lurker
12-12-2007, 02:02 PM
How's this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5629648144738255733&q=christmas+shoes&total=572&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=7) ??

Professor Chaos
12-12-2007, 02:05 PM
No google video at work either! No video of any kind!

(I'm sure I could view it, but someone in IT tipped me off that they put some kind of program in that alerts them anytime an employee is trying to view internet video or listen to streaming audio.)

Rhinoqulous
12-12-2007, 02:05 PM
The only christmas song you need, Suck My Balls, It's Christmas (http://thelegionnaires.net/audio/downloads/Suck%20My%20Balls,%20It%27s%20Christmas.mp3).

Choobus
12-12-2007, 02:33 PM
:lol:

ninjaxlikewoah__
12-12-2007, 05:43 PM
If they had enough time to come up with all that nonsense, they sure have enough time to come up with an idea to cut carbon dioxide in the U.S., the leading carbon dioxide emitter besides China.

Coatsy
12-15-2007, 04:13 AM
Tell me about it. The presses in Australia are hot at the moment with the NSW government's plans for Ratzy's visit next year.

http://news.smh.com.au/increased-police-powers-in-nsw-extended/20071213-1gre.html

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-offers-20m-to-move-Randwick-horses/2007/11/15/1194766840339.html

For someone who lived in Central Sydney during APEC, watching the police beat unarmed protestors (and even a cameraman), the first item is particularly scary.

EDIT: And in the second, pay particular attention to how the main focus of the article isn't on the gross misuse of taxpayer money, but on the effect on the racing industry. Pathetic.