PDA

View Full Version : at what point did you or your family not beliven a god?

DJ
02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
At some point in your family's history sombody didnt believen god. or are you the first? I came to the conclusion that Religion is False. I would hear all of these Bible story's. I would always ask is this really true? How could a god be watching over all of us? How could we be born into this world as sinners if were not old enough to make a decision.... and if we do somthing bad all we have to do is confess to some preist? Thats Bullshit I never thought those bible storys where ture. It took place in the desert. Thats the middle of nowhere..... Dont you think they would Hallucinate? Im sure they had no scientific understanding of the world. Pepole thought the earth was flat. We prooved them wrong. They thought the earth was the center of the universe. Its not like some stupid idiot came down and told everyone how the earth and universe came into exsistence. In my opinion they made all of this shit up. If you think rational none of this crap is true. Christians spend all of there life on earth focussing towards after life and going to a heaven. Some of you guys really think if you do somthing bad you will go to hell. Well stop worrying cuz its all made up crap. deal with it. Once your dead your dead. The mind shuts down. You think your going to meet some guy a gait? o yeah he will say "welcome to heaven" No! Its a farytale. So i guess your going to meet Jesus? Nope you wont. Why? becuase he is dead and once you are you'll never meet anyone. I dont mean to sound so harsh but get with reality. There is no point to god in this age of science. Evolution is a fact no matter what you say. we share much of the same genes, and we have found many bones of early humans such as "Lucy" to proove it. And yes. Where still evolving. Its not like a microwave where you turn it on and off. I could figure it out myselft. Most pepole need a religion to tell the answers. The wrong answers.

Lucretius
02-01-2005, 07:07 PM
I was born and raised a freethinker! Yeehaw!

Illuminati
02-01-2005, 10:52 PM
word

Paul123
02-01-2005, 10:56 PM
word
Double word. Represent.

My mother is.... i don't know what you could call her, agnostic i guess and my dad is atheist. They both understand the problems of indoctrination and the power of the church and so because of that i do too.... i think.

Seraphim
02-01-2005, 11:52 PM
DJ Wrote:
Pepole thought the earth was flat. We prooved them wrong. They thought the earth was the center of the universe. Its not like some stupid idiot came down and told everyone how the earth and universe came into exsistence.
Umm, thats not true. The bible says that the earth was round, and God did come down and tell everyone how the earth and universe came into existence... He just had to put it into words that they could understand.

Isa 40:22 It is He who sits on the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in;
Job 26:7 He stretches out the north over the empty place, and He hung the earth on nothing.
As you can see the bible clearly says that the earth was round and set in space, hanging on nothing.

DJ Wrote:
Evolution is a fact no matter what you say. we share much of the same genes, and we have found many bones of early humans such as "Lucy" to proove it. And yes. Where still evolving.
Yeah... your also wrong here.
Evolution is no more a fact then the earth being flat. The more scientific discoveries being made point away from Evolution, and just like scientific discoveries proved the earth to be round, will they prove that evolution is balony and God is our creator. The evidence for Darwinian evolution is backrupt. Darwinism is merely materialistic philosophy masquerading as science, and people are recognizing it for what it is.
"Scientists who utterly reject evolution may be one of our fastest growing controversial minorities... Many of the scientists supporting this postition hold impressive credentials in science." Larry Hatfield in Science Digest
Infact 100 prestigious scientist from all fields of work published a 2-page advertisment in a national magazie under the banner: "A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism."

Also concerning the bones:
Henry Gee, the chief science writer for Nature said this, "The intervals of time that seperated fossils are so huge that we cannot say anything definite about their possible connection through ancestry and descent." In fact he said that all the fossil evidence for human evolution "between ten and five million years ago - several thousand generations of living creatures - can be fitted into a small box."
As you can clearly see, we have not found many bones of early humans... infact most of what we do find consist of only skull caps and teeth, hardy enough to get a picture of what early humans looked like.

If you have any questions just ask.

-Seraphim

Paradox
02-02-2005, 03:34 AM
"Scientists who utterly reject evolution may be one of our fastest growing controversial minorities... Many of the scientists supporting this postition hold impressive credentials in science." Larry Hatfield in Science Digest
Infact 100 prestigious scientist from all fields of work published a 2-page advertisment in a national magazie under the banner: "A Scientific Dissent From Darwinism."
100 prestigious scientists... still sounds like a small minority to me. 90% of science profesors think there is absolutely no evidence for intelligent design whatsoever, and 95% of bioligists are evolutionists. as far as im aware, creationism isnt getting any more popular amongst the scientific community.

Paul123
02-02-2005, 06:18 AM
I think evolution is a fact. It happens in everyday life. Bacteria and virus' are perfect examples of it all.
BUT before you go shouting about the fact that we weren't around back then so we don't know, understand that i agree with you. We don't know if humans evolved, yet. We do however KNOW that evolution happens.

I think that evolution very probably brought about the human race.

"FKA" Paradox
02-02-2005, 09:28 AM
Paul

Yes you are right, but how you define the parameters of evolution here is important. Science has proven adaptation (Micro evolution) wihout a doubt, but it also continues to prove that this evolution oscillates within the biological/gentic limitations of a given specie. Thus we have many in the family of dog, but we still have basically a dog.

Mike

Red Mage
02-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Where still evolving. Its not like a microwave where you turn it on and off. I could figure it out myselft.
I'm guessing you use your microwave a lot.

But, to get back on topic:
The only person other than me to become atheist in my family is my sister. However, I get the feeling she did it more out of a sense of rebellion than anything. Despite that, she agrees with most of my reasons for not believing in a god, so perhaps she just isn't as passionate about it as I am.

PaleHorse
02-02-2005, 10:10 AM
When I reasoned that to believe at all was both illogical and irrational.

Illuminati
02-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Paul

Yes you are right, but how you define the parameters of evolution here is important. Science has proven adaptation (Micro evolution) wihout a doubt, but it also continues to prove that this evolution oscillates within the biological/gentic limitations of a given specie. Thus we have many in the family of dog, but we still have basically a dog.

Mike
Actually, I have read about reported and confirmed cases of macro evolution, in strains of yeast. I do not have the article, perhaps squid would be of help.

DJ
02-02-2005, 03:58 PM
DJ Wrote:
Pepole thought the earth was flat. We prooved them wrong. They thought the earth was the center of the universe. Its not like some stupid idiot came down and told everyone how the earth and universe came into exsistence.
Umm, thats not true. The bible says that the earth was round, and God did come down and tell everyone how the earth and universe came into existence... He just had to put it into words that they could understand.

Isa 40:22 It is He who sits on the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers; who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in;
Job 26:7 He stretches out the north over the empty place, and He hung the earth on nothing.
As you can see the bible clearly says that the earth was round and set in space, hanging on nothing.

DJ Wrote:
Evolution is a fact no matter what you say. we share much of the same genes, and we have found many bones of early humans such as "Lucy" to proove it. And yes. Where still evolving.
Yeah... your also wrong here.
Evolution is no more a fact then the earth being flat. The more scientific discoveries being made point away from Evolution, and just like scientific discoveries proved the earth to be round, will they prove that evolution is balony and God is our creator. The evidence for Darwinian evolution is backrupt. Darwinism is merely materialistic philosophy masquerading as science, and people are recognizing it for what it is.

Also concerning the bones:
Henry Gee, the chief science writer for Nature said this, "The intervals of time that seperated fossils are so huge that we cannot say anything definite about their possible connection through ancestry and descent." In fact he said that all the fossil evidence for human evolution "between ten and five million years ago - several thousand generations of living creatures - can be fitted into a small box."
As you can clearly see, we have not found many bones of early humans... infact most of what we do find consist of only skull caps and teeth, hardy enough to get a picture of what early humans looked like.

If you have any questions just ask.

-Seraphim
Ok. So you say we didn't evolve. Then Explain how humans apperead on earth. Give me an answer. I am open to your opinion.

Paul123
02-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Ok. So you say we didn't evolve. Then Explain how humans apperead on earth. Give me an answer. I am open to your opinion.
I'm pretty sure the answer you'll get will be along the lines of 'Well god was all like 'YEAH!' and then there was man.

Blacke
02-02-2005, 10:38 PM
I was an anglican... until i watched a tape of me at preschool where we were forced to sing songs about jesus . At primary school we all had to do the school prayer, and this was a public school. Now in highschool i have to go to scripture. I was also circumsised. After this i thought i was being brainwashed and did some research and here i am. My parents are still fairly religious, and i dont think they know what i beleive in.

I am absolutley certain we made up religion just because it was the simplest excuse for why we are here and most of us were scared.

Username
02-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Whats this about the bible saying the Earth is round?

Revelation 7:1 After this, I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, so that no wind would blow on the earth, or on the sea, or on any tree.

Four corners would only be possible on a flat Earth.

Dux
02-24-2005, 03:31 AM
Whats this about the bible saying the Earth is round?

Revelation 7:1 After this, I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding the four winds of the earth, so that no wind would blow on the earth, or on the sea, or on any tree.

Four corners would only be possible on a flat Earth.
Not to mention circular is not the same as spherical, ie a flat surface can still be circular. However, above post sure highlights some contradiction, because circles can't have corners.

Pexio
02-24-2005, 04:50 AM
The earth circular, round, square? You're all wrong. Clearly, the earth is a pentagon (http://www.flat-earth.org/platygaea/faq.html)

Religious views of family members:
Me - atheist
Wife - deist
16-year old son - neopagan
14-year old daughter - atheist
8-year old daughter - still says "bless you" when someone sneezes, but I'm working on it.

Anonymous_number1
02-28-2005, 10:34 PM
Me- Atheist

Everyone else- Theist

Hurray for me...

Hacim Nosretep
03-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Respec' Knuckles!
_________
| | | | |
| | | |/^\
\ / \ /\ / \ \
| / /

Power to the 1st generation!

chris26
03-01-2005, 11:42 AM
Hmm, well I'm 17 years old and my whole family is Christian. My aunts, my uncles, my grandparents, my parents and my parents parents and pretty much through the whole family tree. I myself am kind of Agnostic/Christian/Deist/Atheist in that order. I don't tell my family that as I'm afraid of what they'd say. I agree that they may pester me because they believe and don't want me to go to hell. I believe if there is a god he'd accept all good people. I cannot conceive how he would send Jewish people, and all others to eternal torment. I know he doesn't send us there personally, but we send ourselves there. However, I don't see how he would create life that way knowing so many will be deceived. In my opinion if the bible was true, it would be the only religion and it would be easier to prove.

My sister is Christian but doesn't go to church and my brother is agnostic/mostly atheist. I was surprised when he told me a few months ago because I thought he was Christian as I never knew he had doubts. Now I know why he stopped going to church and slept in on Sundays with my sister while my parents, and my little sister and I went to church. I wonder if my sister is Christian anymore?

It was extremely hard going through puberty and having doubts of god at the same time when I was around 13/14. I became very depressed and stuff. I believe Christianity is so widespread with more fearful believers than true believers because of the fear of death. The only thing I fear is other people who are those who want to drive stakes into atheists.

The main reason I don't tell my parents is because I don't want to hurt their faith. I want them to be happy. I don't want my burden to become theirs. Doubt has started to take over my soul like a cancer rebel force.

I don't dislike Christians at all. They're good people. I support them for their faith, the faith I no longer have.

What I see the Bible as is a book of great promises, but mixed in there hints of someone else writing it as there is jealousy and such mixed in. Either man toyed with this book, that God truly did write or man wrote the whole thing. I've always seen the possibility that sin caused man to toy with the bible and destroy god's plan in order to fulfill their own desires to be their own god.

People's belief in god doesn't bother me at all. If thats how they want to live their life, than that's fine. That's fine and dandy. To each man his own.

I see life as a big pile of shit. We're a big bunch of complex atoms and chemical reactions trying to find meaning in this pathetic life we lead on this big ball of water and shit. Eventually, we'll kill ourselves like a bunch of morons and be forgotten as the universe goes on.

The only god I really can see myself believing in is the deist diety with a possible afterlife if we did good. If you went around on crack binges killing people like in grand theft auto, then you die and rot in the ground.

You don't come to atheism through belief but by learning and rationalizing and using the gray matter glop in our craniums. Atheism is not a belief or choice, but a conclusion you come to. Once you come to the realization there is no god, you can't make yourself believe again.

Sir Sin-O-Lot
03-01-2005, 11:52 AM
I am the only atheist in my family, so I can see how you feel.
Here are my stages:
5-9 indoctrination begins
9-14 devoutly Christian, see others as heathens
15-16 have doubts about faith, now agnostic
16 (nearly 17)- atheist

Hacim Nosretep
03-02-2005, 08:43 AM
Check this out. I was raised a Christian Scientist - if you're unfamiliar with it, it's a religion started in the 1890's by this old chick named Mary Baker Eddy, based on the somewhat pantheistic idea that we're all miniature expressions of Divine Mind, God. The fundamentalists get pissed because the 'scientists janked "Christian" and use it to describe what is, in essence, a cult.

Anyway, I went to a CS private school in St. Louis from 4th to 7th grade. Unfortunately, I turned Christian in 6th grade, afraid that the Apocalypse was coming and I would end up getting my 'nads bitten off by lion-faced grasshoppers if I didn't repent. So, of course, when it came time (in 7th grade) to pledge my faith to Mrs. Eddy, my stalwart Christian ideologies wouldn't let me.

I was kicked out, after which I spent a couple years praying to yhwh about my screwed-up sitchy-ation. Once that passed, I started reading the Bible hardcore, hoping to find some sort of panacea for all my angst and sorrow (and not a small amount of self-pity).

Having no luck with that, I renounced my faith and, after overcoming a latent fear of the fiery pits, started my new, meaningless life as a Benthamite atheist. At least the pills are good...

MrCynic38
03-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Me- Atheist
Parents- Catholic

Sir Sin-O-Lot
03-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Me- Atheist
Parents- Catholic
Hows that working out? My dad's side are bunch of Southern Baptists, now thats scary.

MrCynic38
03-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Hows that working out? My dad's side are bunch of Southern Baptists, now thats scary.
It's ok. They accept me just fine. they just wish i was catholic.

Paradox
03-06-2005, 11:00 AM
Me- Atheist
Mother- Christian
Father- ???

the ace of jacks
03-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Me- atheist
Everybody I know- die-hard Christian of various flavor.

I was Christian just because I was raised that way until a few years ago. I was sitting in church when it suddenly struck me that everything was complete bs. I went from Christian to Atheist in less than a second. Kind of an epiphany.

Sir Sin-O-Lot
03-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Me- atheist
Everybody I know- die-hard Christian of various flavor.

I was Christian just because I was raised that way until a few years ago. I was sitting in church when it suddenly struck me that everything was complete bs. I went from Christian to Atheist in less than a second. Kind of an epiphany.
That was the situation for many of us here. Welcome to the boards.

oDd42
03-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Personally, from 0-13, I was a coerced, near-xian;
this gave way to agnosticism, difficult as it would have been to announce, from 13-17.
Then it veered into dogmatism (nihilism) from 18-19.
After that I was skeptical of even going by the 'atheist' label, til ~20+ (my ape, i've been lurking forever) :-)

So now, like many others here, its me & a sibling as atheist -- nearly all others: xian bible-literalists.

====

Perterson: may I ask why you (or, the dead) consider Nietszche 'god'? Clever as the tag is, i now must ask.

Hacim Nosretep
03-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Nietszche isn't God... he's just friggin' awesome; also, I couldn't resist the word play. However, one could definitely imagine some sketchy dead folks worshipping Nietszche's near-Machiavellian outlook on life. cynics are awesome. Oh, and it's Peterson... I'm guessing you grabbed that from Nosretep? Pardon the uber-biblical 1st name... being a prophet kind of sucks...

Hacim Nosretep
03-08-2005, 08:54 AM
And just for edification of the collective public, "Woman was God's second mistake." - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietszche

oDd42
03-08-2005, 07:40 PM
Nietszche isn't God... he's just friggin' awesome; also, I couldn't resist the word play. However, one could definitely imagine some sketchy dead folks worshipping Nietszche's near-Machiavellian outlook on life. cynics are awesome. Oh, and it's Peterson... I'm guessing you grabbed that from Nosretep? Pardon the uber-biblical 1st name... being a prophet kind of sucks...
Nope sorry, they'd definitely be worshipping Machiavelli instead. Except that, if both dead and doing anything at all, one of those eternal-life religions just may be right, in which case denouncing of ol Nietszche might be more in order. Don't mind me, just overanalyzing! But it obviously caught my attention.

My apologies for that extra R, I don't know how made its way in there. (Though I currently suspect myself, of having pushed the R key.)

The "kingdom of Heaven" is a condition of the heart - not something that comes "upon the earth" or "after death."

BaalDemon
03-08-2005, 07:52 PM
I stopped believing in the Christian god when I was about 10 and started learning about the world, and my dad being a geologist some of the ideas provided me with questions that the church couldnt answer. So after that i stopped going to church and started my own quest to find something..... which didnt really happen for like 5 years because I was to young to really comprehend anything. Then I started to read about other religions and came to the belief that god was nothing more than a thought to keep the masses in check. And have been a staunch atheist ever since.

Blacke
03-09-2005, 12:44 AM
I have no idea when i became an atheist, and i don't know what influenced me because my parents are anglican and all my freinds were religious. I think it happened a few years ago, it might have been The matrix.

God, my arse
03-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Evolution is all around us, super bugs have evolved and adapted such as SARS. Religion said that we were unique, Chimpanzee DNA is 98% exact to our own.

Charlotte
03-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Contrare, the Bible has a cosmology that evolved with scientific discovery. The early Jews believed we lived our universe was flat and three tiered. The Earth, according to their cosmology, was the bottom tier of the universe; an immovable, flat disk which was covered by the domed sky above it. The vault (middle tier) seperated the sky from the heavens, where God resided a majority of the time. Early Christians developed the third tier in which they placed the Earth on pillars and Hell beneath it. For examples of this concept see 1 Samuel 2:8 or Revelation 5:13-14

You are guilty of selectivity my friend. The bible is very inconsistent concerning cosmology. There's no shame about it. These writings existed in oral tradition for nearing 8,000 years, we are dealing with a primitive people here, it is simply honest to acknowledge their cosmology evolved with their discoveries, just as monotheism evolved in through the Prophetic writings.

There are more versus that show the flat earth cosmology then there are ones that support a sphere. I shouldn't have to go down the list citing them all, so let's just examine a choice few.

The earth is firm and immovable, does not rotate, orbit, etc: 1 Chronicles 16:30, 1 Samuel 2:8, Job 9:6, 38:4-6, Isaiah 13:10 & Micah 6:2, Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, Psalm 104:5 , Isaiah 45:18 , Psalms 78:69, Ecclesiastes 1:4 & 3:14

The earth has corners, foundation stones, edges, etc.: Job 38:7, Isaiah 11:12, Revelation 7:1, Revelation 20:8, 2 Samuel 22:16, Job 38:4, Psalm 18:15, Proverbs 8:29, Isaiah 24:18 & Job 37:3

Situations which could only occur on a flat shaped earth, consistent with the three tier cosmology: Daniel 4:10-11, Matthew 4:8, Luke 4:5, Revelation 1:7, Acts 1:9, Daniel 2:35 & Isaiah 24:1

In conclusion, the point is that you should be wary to make claims of scientific inerrancy concerning the Bible. Scholars have already admitted to there being upwards of 8,000 errors and internal contradictions. Undoubtedly, your assertions wil be opposed by people who have actually studied the book.

HellboundAlleee
03-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I do not know how many people in my ancestry were atheists, but I suspect a lot more than I think. It seems that a couple of my great-grandfathers were atheists. My dad was an atheist most of the time I grew up, but he hid it from me. I had to come out to him first. I was raised in a church-6, sometimes 7 days a week. He was the choir director. Mom was in the choir.

Mom was always christian, but I credit her with most of my atheism, because she always encouraged me to ask questions and read as much as I possibly could. She also taught me to be wary of those solicitous Christians everywhere who try to get you to come to their church or buy their cheap tawdry merchandise or join their Ponzi-Scheme-cults. She also hated hated hated bad taste, and it's not a coincidence that most of the bad taste we saw came out of Christian esthetics." Including music, velvet and light-up paintings, and greeting cards. She knew good poetry, art and music, and we saw very little of it that was Christian that came from after the nineteenth century.

Christians: where the hell did you guys go wrong? Is it the idea that anything that comes out of your "creativity" is wonderful because it's for Jesus? Is it because your culture forbids you to criticize anyone's work if it's about your white skinny bearded sandaled one? Because if you allowed criticism again, maybe you'd weed out the horrid crap that your culture is insinuating on the world.

I blame Albrect Duhrer and his crappy "Praying Hands." Anything not better than that is garbage.

emrys
04-15-2005, 03:55 PM
there's a link below about that yeast thing
http://www.geocities.com/lclane2/yeastspeciation.html
i've also read about the evoultion of single-celled organisms into multicelluar ones in the laboratory
apparently this is quite an an achievement, as single-celled and multicelluar oorganisms are in different groups (like plants, animals and fungi)

emrys
04-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Most languages 'evolved' from some earlier languages, so its not suprising that two alphabets are so similar.
Presumably you can read most German words, you just don't understand what they mean.

emrys
04-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Humans have DNA which is 98% similar to chimps and vice versa, but they are not considered the same species. What defines a human different from a chimpanzee may come from the remaining 2% (although most DNA is useless). Humans and chimps have exactly the same organs as each other, but the 2% difference may contribute to factors such as larger brain for humans. Just because humans have a larger brain than chimps doesn't make them anymore special than the 2% difference suggests. The human brain may have lead to significant discoveries and to the destruction of the planet, but the evolution which lead to this increase in brain size could have (and does) happen to any species, regardless of their similarity to a divine deity.
Species survive because they can adapt to their environment, so even if the human brain seems so advanced, this doesn't ensure our future survival as a species.

MrsMoe
06-19-2005, 01:34 PM
I was rasied as a *shudder*Jehovahs Witness*shudder.*

As soon as I turned 18, I left home and tasted the world for what it really was outside of that "cult."

I then questioned the religion because it was based on nutcase crackpot ideas - and after my research I stopped believing in the religion as FACT.

Then I questioned the bible because it was based on nutcase crackpot ideas and contradicted itself many times (let there be light THEN God creates the Sun as an example,) and after my research I stopped believing in the bible as FACT.

Then I questioned God. And spirituality. I will attribute much of this to 3 very good friends of mine who were athiests, and helped me along the way. Teh first book I read was The Universe in a Nutshell, because as a Jehovah's Witness growing up, I was not allowed to study Evolution or physics etc etc. I had long late night talks with these atheist friends, and I realzied how much sense evolution made, and with evolution, you don't need a creator or a creative force. Then I realized that God and the Spirit Realm were nutcase crackpot ideas, and after my research I stopped believing in God and any sort of metaphysical realm.

oDd42
06-19-2005, 09:01 PM
we live on a mountain right at the top
there's a beautiful view from the top of the mountain
every morning I walk towards the edge and throw little things off like: car-parts, bottles and cutlery
or whatever I find lying around
i love it..!

MrsMoe
06-19-2005, 11:17 PM
we live on a mountain right at the top
there's a beautiful view from the top of the mountain
every morning I walk towards the edge and throw little things off like: car-parts, bottles and cutlery
or whatever I find lying around
i love it..!
Bjork!