PDA

View Full Version : Pointless rambling

Morgan
06-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Today I was having lunch with one of my many bosses at work and engaged him in a friendly conversation about the current evolution vs. religion teachings in the classrooms here in Kansas. Well he is hardcore Mormon to the bone. He was in Spain for several years spreading the word. He now has a Masters and works at Walgreens with me. Let me say that again, he has a masters and works at Walgreens!!! Anyways, I asked him just out of curiosity what he thought about all of the debating and if we shouldn't just throw all of it out of the window because of the separation of church and state. He began telling me that God molded everyone in his image and that we did not evolve. Anyone who says we evolved from monkeys may have but he didn't. He then told me that he knows God does exist and he has a personal relationship with him and they talk. So he knows that all other religions are wrong because of this relationship that he has with god. Then after telling me that he goes into saying that since he seems to know what is 100% true that it is absurd to think about teaching every child in public schools about the theory of evolution. He slowed down after that but I responded by saying "I don't even see why people aren't paying more attention to the separation of church and state. Slapping the "intelligent design" label on top of the Christian ideas doesn't make it something else, it's still religious ideas. Those ideas shouldn't be in a public school that is funded by the state." Well then he began to ramble about how public schools are barely funded by the actual state but other money flows in from various other sources, since it isn't funded totally by the state the separation of church and state doesn't apply. He also went on to complain about how he is offended that at high school graduations no longer have a mass prayer before or after the ceremony. He went on and on but I'm still blown away. I'm really just rambling about an experience and I have no real point other than that. It's just crazy to talk to someone intelligent (I use that term loosely with him) and then have them squirt this babble out of their mouths.

Amazonis
06-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Well, i like to think of inteligence as two seperate things -

The first (and most basic) is the IQ of the person, and the second the ability to think outside the box, and question everything you are told.

Obviously your boss is smart enouph IQ wise, but he falls short in the later.

LogicMan
06-20-2005, 05:45 PM
I do not know how old you are or how adept you are at logical thinking but it sounds like you are in for a long haul. Rational discourse is more rare than you can imagine...or maybe not.

Now for the bad news: The more efficient you get at seeing things correctly the worse it gets...that is the interaction such as the one in your example.

Now for the not so good news: You can choose to intellectually stagnate. In which case you know that for the rest of your life you will only have to deal with x amount of such interactions. Or you can progress as your abilities allow and intellectually pass up more people and deal with even more headaches.
People can not understand things without the conceptual underpinnings needed to do so. This of course requires work. Actually it requires a proper direction to take in which to find the correct data (facts) that make up the conceptual underpinnings. This also requires the ability to objectively identify the relevent facts.

Hmmm now I am rambling. Time for me to take a break from this