PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Growing Religion; Why?

Nicole
06-27-2005, 05:18 AM
It's been noted that the second largest religion, Islam, is the fastest growing religion in the world.

http://www.geocities.com/WestHollywood/Park/6443/Fastest/

Does anyone have any theories as to why this might be? I haven't noticed any Islamics posting but maybe some of you have some idea. Apparently Christians are converting to Islam.

snap crafter
06-27-2005, 05:41 AM
I'd guess because conditions in mid-world countries are horrible, and people don't always trust those damn missionaries, so they turn to Islam

mud
06-27-2005, 06:19 AM
Could it be that the populations in the middle-east(and other muslim regions) are growing more quickly than those in the christian world?

RedRob
06-27-2005, 08:28 AM
1) I think it has to do with population growth in the Muslim countries, specifically those in the Middle East.

2) War on terror and that has Islamized some rather atheist leaning western Muslims. I happen to have a Muslim background and I know this from personal observations I’ve made when I visited Europe last year and by observing some friends from high school that have suddenly become religious. Muslims have been put in the spotlight by the war on terror and our now feeling the need to stick together in western countries. In other words they feel threatened by racist bigots in the west and are diverging from the main culture trend, which was to integrate into western society, so more Muslims our now viewing them selves as Muslims where as before they were indifferent due to westernization. This is especially true for Muslims of Arab background and not so much for those of Asian and European background.

3) A less significant reason would be converts to Islam that see Muslim peoples strong convictions and mistake it as some divine preference rather then see it for what it really is a more efficient brainwashing tactic then any other. Also the fact that Muslim countries tend to be of the third world kind so that economic opportunities are not available and there for the only possible way of getting a better life is in the “next life” by being a good Muslim.

I'm sure there are other reasons but these would be my top 3.

Nicole
06-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Could it be that the populations in the middle-east(and other muslim regions) are growing more quickly than those in the christian world?
That's what I thought until I ran into an article that quoted this fact; (From above link)

"In the United States, for example, nearly 80 percent of the more than 1,200 mosques have been built in the past 12 years. "

So why are predominantly Christian countries seeing a rise. It's also happening in Christian countries in Africa.

What's so attractive about this particular brand of faith.

clambake
06-28-2005, 03:51 AM
It's a "man's" religion, "men" get to dominate over women in the name of god. Then there's all that ass sticking in the air 5 times a day.

Mog
06-28-2005, 05:03 AM
That's what I thought until I ran into an article that quoted this fact; (From above link)

"In the United States, for example, nearly 80 percent of the more than 1,200 mosques have been built in the past 12 years. "

So why are predominantly Christian countries seeing a rise. It's also happening in Christian countries in Africa.

The religion of Islam was clearly designed to seem to be an improvement over Christianity, just as Christianity was designed to seem to be an improvement over Judaism. So an impartial person with a tendency to be religious might think "Hey, I can have my Mohammed and still have my Jesus, too!" Also, Islam is more unified than Christianity. The vast majority of Moslems outside of the Iran and Iraq area are Sunnis while Christianity is split relatively evenly among Catholic and Protestant lines. I would suspect thats what is giving Islam the advantage in contested countries.

Nicole
06-28-2005, 06:11 AM

The religion of Islam was clearly designed to seem to be an improvement over Christianity, just as Christianity was designed to seem to be an improvement over Judaism. So an impartial person with a tendency to be religious might think "Hey, I can have my Mohammed and still have my Jesus, too!" Also, Islam is more unified than Christianity. The vast majority of Moslems outside of the Iran and Iraq area are Sunnis while Christianity is split relatively evenly among Catholic and Protestant lines. I would suspect thats what is giving Islam the advantage in contested countries.
Interesting point. I'd never thought about it like that...kinda like god 7.0. I do agree with your point on the division of the christian church. Divided they fall.

RedRob
06-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Good point! Division within the Christian cult and the greater unity of the Islam cult defiantly would attract some “undecided but ready for brainwashing” persons. My points from above are still standing however, not because of any statistics but because I’ve seen it and experienced it myself.

ghoulslime
06-30-2005, 07:11 PM
Another interesting consideration is the illiteracy rate in Islamic nations. Do your own quick search and choose your statistics. I wonder if there is any connection.

WITHTEETH
06-30-2005, 07:29 PM
During the crusades many Arabic Christians turned Muslim. Simliar don't you think?

RedRob
07-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Another interesting consideration is the illiteracy rate in Islamic nations. Do your own quick search and choose your statistics. I wonder if there is any connection.
That's correct but Islam is spreading in countries like France, UK and the US and I don't think it has to do with literacy rates. It’s also spreading in fairly educated countries in Easter Europe with Muslim minorities or slight majorities and I think in their case it has to do with freedom from once brutal repressions of freedoms such as the freedom to believe in any imaginary being you want. Certainly all things such as literacy, poverty, unemployment and faith are connected, people affected by these things make the best believers since they are the most desperate and see religion as an escape from their horrible reality. So in other words I agree with you but I don’t think that this is the number one reason or the most significant one since other things cause illiteracy and these “other things” need to be resolved before pointing to illiteracy as the major cause of such stupidity.

RedRob
07-01-2005, 06:26 AM
During the crusades many Arabic Christians turned Muslim. Simliar don't you think?
Do you mean similar to the current situation with the war on terror? If yes then I agree.

Also when you tell people what they are instead of them telling you then they will become what you told them they are just to be against you, the one who has confronted them based on assumptions. Does that make sense? Well anyway I’ve seen plenty of hate crimes against Christian Arabs and Indians in the US(people thought they were Muslim due to their appearance) but I’m not sure if they would turn Muslim just for that reason alone. What I do know is that secular (more civilized educated Muslims) are starting to become more “Islamic” due to this war on terror which some Muslims perceive as war on Islam by the Christian west.

Rhinoqulous
07-01-2005, 08:26 AM
You also have to consider that it was the Islamic scholars who kept the ancient philosophies and sciences alive while the Christians were busy burning everything in Europe during the Dark Ages. Without Islam, we'd have little to no knowledge of Aristotle and the like (but for some reason the Christians kept Plato around).

ghoulslime
07-02-2005, 12:08 PM
You also have to consider that it was the Islamic scholars who kept the ancient philosophies and sciences alive while the Christians were busy burning everything in Europe during the Dark Ages. Without Islam, we'd have little to no knowledge of Aristotle and the like (but for some reason the Christians kept Plato around).
I also have to consider that I seem to be winning you over to the dark side of the rabbit force, Duck-Rabbit of Dooom!

Jennifer
07-02-2005, 04:31 PM
I'm with you withteeth, I think right now Christianity is the religion of White Guys.

WITHTEETH
07-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Associating christianity and white men = The devils advocate, Intresting jennifer, was that what you were saying?
Since they are cut off from the western world besides the war, it would make it easy for them to perceive us as it. Another downfall of religions, the perception of pure good vs pure evil(extreme view).

Encyclopedia middle east religion/population figures-
"The Middle East has a population (1997 estimate) of about 291.9 million. Islam is the predominant religion in the Middle East. More than 90 percent of the area’s population are Muslims. Christians form the next largest group, with about 4 percent of the population, and Jews make up about 2 percent of the population. Muslims explicitly recognize that Judaism and Christianity preceded their faith, and therefore regard Christians and Jews as “peoples of the book”—that is, groups with written scriptures that should be free to practice their religion."
Microsoft ® Encarta ® Reference Library 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Jennifer
07-03-2005, 06:46 AM
Associating christianity and white men = The devils advocate, Intresting jennifer, was that what you were saying?
Yes

"... and therefore regard Christians and Jews as “peoples of the book”—that is, groups with written scriptures that should be free to practice their religion."
Interesting, I didn't know that. I guess the Buddhists and the Wicca are out of luck.

mud
07-04-2005, 02:31 AM

I think immigration could account for the increase in mosques in the U.S.(there's already enough churches).Also, christianity is much more tolerant in western societies. If I wanted to convert to christianity from islam, I'd likely be risking an all too close call with a sharp object(if they'll cut your hands off for stealing...). This isn't the case with the 'all loving' dogma of christians.
I also think that in the more enlightened western world people tend to look harder and closer at everything we're told, hence the religion that we grow up with is well known(along with all of the contradictions) and its much easier to stray from in the first place. By the time you realize that islam is just as full of bunk as christianity its too late.