PDA

View Full Version : Can people live without fantasy and denial?

miata
08-13-2005, 09:15 AM
I read the book by Ernest Beck "The Denial of Death" in 1973 and I pick it up to review often. He says some of us need the denial experience as we can't face death.

Religion sucks the life out of people but some need the experience.

Anyway Santa never wanted to burn me for eternity.

Paradox
08-14-2005, 09:19 AM
This world is hardly a hopeless distopia. People can find hope in things that are real.

PanAtheist
08-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Actually everyone can, not only "face death", they can now totally CELEBRATE death, and CELEBRATE the mortality of the entire living earth and all its life, thanks to the awesome discoveries of all scientists.

The sun has to die if it burns.
We have to die if we are to live.

If all our eukaryotic animal ancestors hadn't been fated to live AND die, humanity, and all of the fabulous animals and plants, could never have come into existance, and planet earth would be populated by bacteria.

"Can people live without fantasy and denial?"
Absolutely Yes!

(And that ignores the fact that our witless hearts carry on beating no matter what we're thinking anyway :-)

Tenspace
08-14-2005, 10:09 AM
That's an excellent point, Pan. People are so shallow and selfish to think that death is wrong.

Tenspace

miata
08-14-2005, 04:34 PM
That's an excellent point, Pan. People are so shallow and selfish to think that death is wrong.

Tenspace
We'll what if people who only live for Jesus; their invisable friend.

HeWhoAsks
08-14-2005, 05:38 PM
Considering that people need years of therapy later in life because Mommy would never let them lick out the sweet frosting in the middle of the baking mixer (did I say that out loud?), it's not a stretch to imagine that people will be irrational when it comes to their oh-so-very personal mortality, no matter how rational the dust to dust idea is.