PDA

View Full Version : The more i read the bible

Wheatgrass
08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
I wake up every sunday morning and cant figure how people can believe in christianity. I ask myself are they reading the same bible that i've read.

oliverwxyz
08-19-2005, 10:22 AM
I find most CHristians haven't read much of it anyway. You're not encouraged to here in the UK at any rate (especially not the OT) and the sermons in church only dwell on the palatable bits.

Oliver

PanAtheist
08-19-2005, 12:42 PM
And the Catholics have it all chopped up for them, and only have specially selected bits fed to them, in tiny, seperate, safe-as-possible, pieces in their church services.

And when they do get curious, their church provides the Catechism, partly to "settle" awkward questions, but also to seduce their attention, and to cast them into a bedazzling array of outrageous, contageous, smoke-and-mirrors never-ending obfuscation.

And yet ....

.... the tenets of the creed and every basic and well-known Bible story is so f***ing OBVIOUSLY absurd that it is INEVITABLE that every damn one of them HAS TO KNOW that Christianity HAS to be false ....

They have recklessly dismissed their realisation (i.e. that Christianity cannot be anything but false false false), and have decided to always do so whenever the stimulus which first triggered this insanity arises again, and thereby, they appear to "think" and act as if "Christianity" is real real real.

In short, they once decided to NEVER give a damn that it is false.

And thanks to that decision, individually and seperately made by millions of people in the secrets of their own minds, we have the outrageous phenomena of worldwide insanity that is called "Christianity".

The initial triggers which propel people into insanity are interesting.

Evil_Mage_Ra
08-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Even Protestant Bible education is mostly just bits and pieces of the Bible, with some Christian philosophy that came much later.

oliverwxyz
08-19-2005, 02:53 PM
Yeah. And there are Bible study classes too which select out the right bits and make sure people have the right interpretation of them. I think religious leaders definitely prefer people NOT to read the whole Bible and make up their own minds.

The Catholic Catechism is quite something isn;t it? I've only read a condensed version, but it 's interesting how they are determined to decree exactly what a good catholic should believe about every aspect of the religion. Quite an impressive effort, apart from the fact it is all bollocks - it kind of all makes sense according to its own bizzarre view of reality (which bears no relation to actual reality), a bit like a good fantasy book. No wonder the Catholic church is pretty wary of religious liberals, more than the CofE which tends to be quite vague about its beliefs these days and includes everyone from evangelicals to people who seem quite unsure about whether they believe in God at all.

I am not sure if a lot of run-of-the-mill Xtians do know it';s all false or not, they probably haven;t even given it enough thought -it comforts them, they're used to it, it's part of their lifestyle and they just don't subject it to the same logic they might other aspects of life becasue they feel no need to and assume 'religious truth' is somehow of a more mysterious kind than other sorts and can't be proved rationally.

On the other hand a lot of priests must know it's rubbish having studied it in depth, but once they're set on it as job I guess they just try to ignore those doubts and stick to the party line.

Oliver

Hectic_Skeptic
08-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Here's how it works: They pick out what they want, and make of it what they can.

Don't try to prove them wrong. They will start the " Oh, but that isn't what God REALLY meant " bull shit! It is right there in writing, Bible-Slingers.

AGENT-ADAIR
08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
The bible is a good book......FOR ME TO POOP ON.