Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Good Science (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15907)

psychodiva 02-02-2010 06:15 PM

Good Science

HIV researchers solve a key puzzle

good science and pure determination :)

tjakey 02-02-2010 08:22 PM

I guess it was left up to hard work and science, since no religious person would pray to a god for understanding that would help save the homos.

psychodiva 03-16-2010 02:34 AM

National Science and Engineering Week- here in the UK

PanAtheist 03-16-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 596648)
HIV researchers solve a key puzzle

good science and pure determination :)

Thanks, yes, very interesting and heartening.

psychodiva 03-16-2010 09:06 AM

Top ten myths of psychology

nkb 03-16-2010 11:33 AM

That was very interesting, diva. Thanks!

clambake 03-16-2010 12:12 PM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 602487)

Quote:

Myth #3: Low Self-Esteem Is a Major Cause of Psychological Problems
That one irks the shit out of me like nothing else. If anything HIGH self-esteem is the biggest fucking psychological problem bar none if you ask me. Way too many self aggrandizing jerks are allowed to be in charge of things they shouldn't.

psychodiva 03-16-2010 12:17 PM

coming from forensics as i do it also is the one that pisses me off the most- some of the most dangerous and mentally unstable people I assessed were full of themselves and arrogant- generally low self-esteem leads to self-harm not other-harm.

lostsheep 03-16-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Awesome! As for #1....(Psychodiva) how come you can have your temporal lobe cut out and still be fine? Two people I know had this done for epilepsy, and both are fine. One is completing his PhD at a university in town, and the other is in a class I am taking (and doing well in a college course).

ILOVEJESUS 03-17-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

lostsheep wrote (Post 602565)
Awesome! As for #1....(Psychodiva) how come you can have your temporal lobe cut out and still be fine? Two people I know had this done for epilepsy, and both are fine. One is completing his PhD at a university in town, and the other is in a class I am taking (and doing well in a college course).

If he is fine after having his temporal lobe cut out, then he is clearly superhuman. He wouldn't be able to make out conversations or relate to music or sounds in general. At least that's what i think. I may be wrong brain science updates itself quicker than I can keep up lol.

psychodiva 03-30-2010 04:21 AM

LHC webcast :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8593780.stm

Philboid Studge 04-01-2010 06:04 AM

Quote:

Diva have you read this book?

It includes a 'mythbusting kit', i.e., the ten causes of myth:
  1. word-of-mouth
  2. desire for easy answers and quick fixes
  3. selective perception and memory
  4. inferring causation from correlation
  5. Post hoc, ergo propter hoc reasoning
  6. exposure to a biased sample
  7. reasoning by representativeness
  8. misleading film and media portrayals
  9. exaggeration of a kernel of truth
  10. terminological confusion

(Aren't items four and five the same?)

The book also includes "Ten Psychological Findings that Are Difficult to Believe but True." For example: Patients who've experienced strokes in their brain's left frontal lobes, which result in severe language loss, are better at spotting lies than people without brain damage.

(I haven't read the book; it's reviewed in Skeptical Inquirer.)

psychodiva 04-01-2010 08:17 AM

link?

Philboid Studge 04-01-2010 08:25 AM

It's not online but a fellow of uncertain ethics may have posted it here.

psychodiva 04-01-2010 08:35 AM

no I haven't read it- may well do so once I finish the latest Freud ;)

psychodiva 07-10-2010 01:16 AM

this is cool :)

Wildcat mimics monkey calls

psychodiva 07-17-2010 12:56 AM

The Pleasure of Finding Things Out

never gets old

psychodiva 07-20-2010 02:07 PM

couple of interesting titbits

Encoding of memories

Creativity and schizophrenia

Mods- would it be too cheeky of me to ask that any bullshit posted by Cal about the above articles please be removed to the bingo thread so that this thread remains unpolluted?

magx01 07-24-2010 01:39 AM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote (Post 605264)

4)inferring causation from correlation
5)Post hoc, ergo propter hoc reasoning

(Aren't items four and five the same?)

I believe there's a subtle difference in that correlation does not need to be chronological in order, whereas post hoc, ergor propter hoc deals with things that are successive in chronology.

Someone correct me if wrong.

psychodiva 09-23-2010 05:59 AM

More good science :)

Quote:

Neurology and neuroscience, working unseen over the past century, have eroded these ideas, the soul and the unified mind, down to nothing. Experiences certainly do feel unified, but to accept these feelings as reality is a mistake. Often, the way things feel has nothing to do with how they are.

psychodiva 09-23-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

magx01 wrote (Post 614456)
I believe there's a subtle difference in that correlation does not need to be chronological in order, whereas post hoc, ergor propter hoc deals with things that are successive in chronology.

Someone correct me if wrong.

yes :)

psychodiva 09-24-2010 09:22 AM

Some good research here about that old tenet of rights-deniers that abortion leads to depression

Quote:

She said previous research has shown that adolescent girls who get pregnant report more depression and lower self-esteem compared to those who don't. "What we didn't know was whether psychological outcomes are worse for girls who choose abortion. This study says, 'No.'"

psychodiva 09-24-2010 02:27 PM

That little old gorilla experiment went and grewed up into a book :) Think I'll be getting this one

Quote:

For example: if two things only happen to occur together, there’s an association between them: “Kids who watch more television are more aggressive.” Well, it’s natural to assume that watching more television made them more aggressive. But it could equally go the other way: it could be that kids who are more aggressive are more likely to watch television. Or there could be some third factor that causes both of them: maybe their parents don’t pay much attention to them, so the kids watch TV and go out and are aggressive; you could create an infinite number of explanations. But our minds for some reason like to jump to the causal conclusion. That one must be causing the second one.
I would recommend this book to a certain person on this forum but I know he would just read the blurb on the back and find a penis in it somewhere so I won't bother

psychodiva 10-11-2010 12:34 PM

Science and religion don't mix

Quote:

But the existence of religious scientists, or religious people who accept science, doesn't prove that the two areas are compatible. It shows only that people can hold two conflicting notions in their heads at the same time. If that meant compatibility, we could make a good case, based on the commonness of marital infidelity, that monogamy and adultery are perfectly compatible. No, the incompatibility between science and faith is more fundamental: Their ways of understanding the universe are irreconcilable.

Jimble 10-11-2010 01:11 PM

Re creativity and schizophrenia - I had wondered about this, I had noticed what seemed like a disproportionate number of depressed/schizophrenic artists and poets. But it's never easy to be sure you're not subconsciously counting the hits and ignoring the misses, we're all subject to our own biases. Thanks for sharing :)

psychodiva 10-25-2010 11:28 AM

Slightly interesting article about memory formation- some good research going on

(mods please if Cal interjects on this duff him up :) )

psychodiva 10-25-2010 11:32 AM

The science of falling in love :)

Quote:

Results from Ortigue's team revealed when a person falls in love, 12 areas of the brain work in tandem to release euphoria-inducing chemicals such as dopamine, oxytocin, adrenaline and vasopression. The love feeling also affects sophisticated cognitive functions, such as mental representation, metaphors and body image.

ILOVEJESUS 10-25-2010 11:48 AM

I did watch a documentary about some college kids making a very attractive woman on their computers. She came to life and helped them through some odd and troubling times.

psychodiva 10-25-2010 02:12 PM

:D

Eva 10-26-2010 05:35 AM

but that's not good science.
that's just weird....

psychodiva 10-26-2010 10:40 AM

:rolleyes:
:lol:

psychodiva 11-08-2010 12:30 PM

Just a plug for a somewhat decent book - as long as you have an open mind that is- I think fundie theists might not like it :D

http://www.psychotherapyarena.com/re...-9781606238899

lostsheep 11-11-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 614264)
couple of interesting titbits

Encoding of memories

Creativity and schizophrenia

Mods- would it be too cheeky of me to ask that any bullshit posted by Cal about the above articles please be removed to the bingo thread so that this thread remains unpolluted?

Psychodiva, in ref to the article on schizophrenia: is there any correlation b/w schizophrenia and math skills? It seems like I have heard somewhere of engineers developing this disease in a higher proportion than the normal population.

psychodiva 11-12-2010 11:14 AM

I haven't seen any research on it lately but i doubt there is a clear correlation - there may be an anecdotal and assumed one only

Eva 11-12-2010 06:50 PM

anecdotal and assumed are enough for cal.

nkb 11-15-2010 12:55 PM

Are you kidding? He is happy with stuff that clearly contradicts him, as long as he can pick out some key words, arrange them out of context, read between the lines to figure out what the author is secretly saying, and thereby connect his dots.

lostsheep 11-15-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 622386)
Are you kidding? He is happy with stuff that clearly contradicts him, as long as he can pick out some key words, arrange them out of context, read between the lines to figure out what the author is secretly saying, and thereby connect his dots.

That sounds like sevens.

psychodiva 11-16-2010 02:39 AM

nah- sevenses is just mad - Cal is a disgusting old wanker

nkb 11-16-2010 09:39 AM

Are you telling me that you don't think there's anything mentally wrong with Cal?

psychodiva 11-16-2010 09:46 AM

personality wise yes- actual mental illness- probably not- but I couldn't tell from just the internet

psychodiva 12-02-2010 03:13 PM

Arsenic- the stuff of life?

Quote:

researchers have coaxed a microbe to build itself with arsenic in the place of phosphorus, an unprecedented substitution of one of the six essential ingredients of life. The bacterium appears to have incorporated a form of arsenic into its cellular machinery, and even its DNA, scientists report online Dec. 2 in Science.

ILOVEJESUS 12-02-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 623547)

I just made a thread out of a post.... er a new building block for forums ?

psychodiva 12-02-2010 03:31 PM

lol and I just pointed it out to you- cross posting!!!!!! :D

psychodiva 12-08-2010 01:18 PM

THIS!!!! is worth a listen

Quote:

The blogger and the author of Bad Science, Dr Ben Goldacre, himself a defendant in a lengthy and costly legal case, explores the battle to keep libel out of science and what it might mean for us and the future of medical research if that battle is lost.

PanAtheist 01-17-2011 02:31 PM

This seems like a good thread for this little work of art :

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs7/i/200...Baleshadow.jpg

psychodiva 01-17-2011 04:45 PM

:rock:

Ed-M 01-20-2011 09:06 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

lostsheep 01-20-2011 10:30 PM

Winning genes commonly act as team-players.
Their winning plays are
salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
A fraction of genes are parasitic (they
parasitize teams).

Cool! Where did you get this?

Kate 01-24-2011 11:08 AM

Not sure if this fits in with "good science", but...

fucking magnets!

Quote:

Using a technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation - in which magnets are used to disrupt neural activity in specific parts of the brain - scientists managed to "turn off" people's moral centers.

...In other words, if you need an army of minions willing to kill for you, you're going to need a whole lot of magnets.

ILOVEJESUS 01-24-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Kate wrote (Post 627272)
Not sure if this fits in with "good science", but...

fucking magnets!

Kind of like zombies????? Wow 28 days later really was a premoniotion.

Steel 01-24-2011 12:41 PM

Woohoo! Now I can have all the bad girls I want! :)

PanAtheist 01-24-2011 03:19 PM

Aliveness Teams

Winning genes commonly act as team-players.
Their winning plays are salvations of an aliveness of which they are a part.
A fraction of genes are parasitic (they parasitize teams).

Quote:

lostsheep wrote (Post 626991)
Cool! Where did you get this?

Thank you!
I am glad you like it! That’s me talking! :D
Still, the space-constraints of the “signature box” did make me be a tad simplistic.
If I had more space, I’d say >>

Vital genes act as a team,
which sustains the aliveness of which they
are a part.

Beneficial genes act as part of that team,
helping the alivenesses of which they
are a part.

All these genes are teamish!

They are team-players, and their winning-plays are salvations and/or promotions of the alivenesses of which they are a part.

Detrimental genes act against such a team of aliveness-sustaining genes, and damage (or damage the chances of) the aliveness which is sustaining them. They may damage it so much that the aliveness dies, and they too are lost!

Neutral genes neither help nor harm.

Parasitic genes, such as jumping-genes, parasitize an organism’s team of genes.

Viral genes are themselves members of a team – the viral genome.

Even kin-killing genetic elements (which some call “selfish genes” ‡), that target and kill siblings which lack that genetic element, are teamish in the sense that they aid the teams of genes which contain copies of them.

The reason
beneficial genes are teamish, is that one gene can accomplish very little on its own.

Aliveness is a team effort!

An organism's genes survive via aliveness
(or “viability” in the case of viruses, and seeds, etc).

Dawkins says that we are “gene-survival machines”.
But this is a myopic, blinkered view of aliveness.
The truth is :
aliveness acts as an aliveness-sustaining “machine”

Aliveness is a multi-reactant physico-chemical chain-reaction
which (with a dash of luck!) sustains itself!

A human child holds neither all the genes of its mother, nor all the genes of its father.
So much for gene survival!
But it *is* a continuation and salvation of both their alivenesses.

Biology, is (surprisingly for some!) about ...
LIFE ! :-)

‡ I am well aware that many apply this phrase more widely that that.

lostsheep 01-30-2011 04:16 PM

Pantheist, I am going to take this to my intro genetics class professor, if you don't mind, thanks!

PanAtheist 02-03-2011 08:55 AM

Capitalization is never enough!

Quote:

lostsheep wrote (Post 627686)
Pantheist, I am going to take this to my intro genetics class professor, if you don't mind, thanks!

I don't mind at all. It's a public forum after all!
Just watch your A's and B's, hey?
PanAtheist. :nanner:

psychodiva 02-15-2011 07:31 AM

He's not gonna take it any more!

also a bit of Pharyngula

Quote:

"We are grossly intolerant, and properly so, of racism. We are grossly intolerant, and properly so, of people who [are] anti-homosexuality... We are not—and I genuinely think we should think about how we do this—grossly intolerant of pseudo-science, the building up of what purports to be science by the cherry-picking of the facts and the failure to use scientific evidence and the failure to use scientific method."
remind you of anybody?

psychodiva 02-15-2011 07:33 AM

I've been fucking modded again!!! - it was just a post about research !!

Quote:

Beddington also had harsh words for journalists who treat the opinions of non-scientist commentators as being equivalent to the opinions of what he called "properly trained, properly assessed" scientists. "The media see the discussions about really important scientific events as if it’s a bloody football match. It is ridiculous."

psychodiva 02-17-2011 12:11 PM

Another one of those 'tunnel vision' scientists who is an expert in their field talks about how good it is to be an expert in a field

In defense of elites

Quote:

The findings and conclusions of scientists and engineers who have devoted years and years to the mastery of their fields of inquiry should be accorded the respect they deserve, and not dismissed for ideological reasons. Few people second-guess the political motivations of their dentist when informed that they have a cavity - why would they do the same with atmospheric scientists when they discuss a hole in the ozone layer? Strong science, elaborated by experts, is the foundation for sound policy.

psychodiva 02-17-2011 12:12 PM

It happened again :( I'll wait for it to be unlocked :(

Victus 02-17-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 628658)
It happened again :( I'll wait for it to be unlocked :(

Yeah, I've had that happen for some of my heroically-long posts, at which point I regret not having saved them somewhere before trying to post.

psychodiva 02-17-2011 12:41 PM

lol- at least mine aren't long :)

nkb 02-17-2011 01:20 PM

It just happened to me today (or was it yesterday?).

It was a very profound observation, too. Sad, really!

psychodiva 02-17-2011 04:00 PM

mine aren't profound either dammit!

although they could be said to be full of profundity :rolleyes:

Saturday 02-23-2011 09:40 PM

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/305/8/828.full.pdf

Uh oh...

Smellyoldgit 02-24-2011 01:42 AM

Quote:

Saturday wrote (Post 629278)
Uh oh...

Quote:

Your link wrote
This item requires a subscription to JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association.

:o You expect me to pay?! - Sod that.

Saturday 02-24-2011 02:08 AM

Oh that's weird... I guess it's because I'm on my university's campus that that doesn't even come up.

Oh well, I downloaded and uploaded the PDF so you guys can access it =)
"Effects of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Signal
Exposure on Brain Glucose Metabolism"
http://www.mediafire.com/?1v3w2b1etkbumns

News story
http://news.discovery.com/tech/cell-...sm-110223.html

Smellyoldgit 02-24-2011 02:52 AM

Gosh!
Quote:

Glucose metabolism rose in these areas by about 7 percent — an increase typically seen when brain regions become active. For instance, glucose metabolism in the language centers of the brain rises by about 10 percent when a person is talking
Perhaps we'd all better stop talking - it's so much more dangerous than using mobile phones!

Davin 02-24-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 629294)
Gosh!

Perhaps we'd all better stop talking - it's so much more dangerous than using mobile phones!

It's 43% more dangerous to talk!

dogpet 02-25-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Davin wrote (Post 629327)
It's 43% more dangerous to talk!

We'll see about that next time I evaporate when someone's cell goes off.

psychodiva 04-11-2011 01:05 AM

Bit of a quandary regarding whether this should go in Shit or Good science as it is good science talking about shit science- anyhoo- made an abitrary decision to put it here :)

PZ trounces another creationist

(the creationist version of 'science' and reading of Wolpert kinda reminds me of a certain 'self-taught' neurologist lol)

Smellyoldgit 05-05-2011 04:14 AM

A small inroad into the quackery market at last comes under some sort of control.
Quote:

New European Union rules have come into force banning hundreds of traditional herbal remedies.

The EU law aims to protect consumers from possible damaging side-effects of over-the-counter herbal medicines.
For the first time, new regulations will allow only long-established and quality-controlled medicines to be sold.
Won't it be heartbreaking if some of the scumbags providing uncontrolled crap are forced out of business.

psychodiva 05-15-2011 09:43 AM

useful site telling the truth about 'alternative' and 'complementary' stuff

Quote:

Although most alternative health therapies are seen as being relatively safe, this is not always the case. It is known that some can be potentially harmful. Also, unlike fully qualified medical doctors, many alternative health practitioners have not received adequate training in the skills of differential diagnosis (i.e. the determination of which two or more diseases with similar symptoms is the one from which a patient is suffering based on an analysis of the clinical data). Consequently, this can place patients at risk of not receiving proper medical attention. Other factors such as patient dependency, misleading information, and patient exploitation due to an undefined and/or unlimited scope of practice can also cause a delay in appropriate medical advice or treatment being sought.

psychodiva 05-15-2011 09:49 AM

and this short video by Ben Goldacre about Homeocrapathy

ghoulslime 08-22-2011 01:23 PM

Team Claims It Has Found Oldest Fossils

A team of Australian and British geologists have discovered fossilized, single-cell organisms that are 3.4 billion years old and that the scientists say are the oldest known fossils on earth.

Their assertion, if sustained, confirms the view that life evolved on earth surprisingly soon after the Late Heavy Bombardment, a reign of destruction in which waves of asteroids slammed into the primitive planet, heating the surface to molten rock and boiling the oceans into an incandescent mist. The bombardment, which ended around 3.85 billion years ago, would have sterilized the earth’s surface of any incipient life.

psychodiva 08-22-2011 04:32 PM

Isn't that when the Scientologists arrived? ;)

Sol 08-30-2011 01:13 PM

Not sure if this is the right place for this or wether its been mentioned before.

But it is GOOD SCIENCE "Life before dinosaurs" :cool:

psychodiva 08-30-2011 01:15 PM

tis cool :)

I have a collection of coral inherited from my dad and obtained by him when he lived in Bahrain and Egypt - I want to go check it out now but it is packed away :(

Sol 08-30-2011 01:22 PM

It was his age that threw me, not to mention his taste in British prog rock.

Save the coral for a rainy day......

psychodiva 08-30-2011 01:44 PM

s'England- is always a rainy day!!!!!

psychodiva 08-30-2011 01:46 PM

and this is interesting- to me anyway- the rest of you can sod off :D

Quote:

Finally, let’s go back to that curious dog. He could have barked or not. He didn’t. One way to look at that is to say, as the inspector does, he did nothing at all. But the other is to say, as Holmes does, that’s not true. He did something. He actively chose not to bark. The result of the two lines of reasoning is identical: a silent dog. But the implications are diametrically opposed: passively doing nothing, or actively doing something.

psychodiva 08-30-2011 01:49 PM

oh- and this :)

Quote:

Sherif noted the two groups spent a lot of time talking about how dumb and uncouth the other side was. They called them names, lots of names, and they seemed to be preoccupied every night with defining the essence of their enemies. Sherif was fascinated by this display. The two groups needed the other side to be inferior once the competition for limited resources became a factor, so they began defining them as such. It strengthened their identity to assume the identity of the enemy was a far cry from their own. Everything they learned about the other side became an example of how not to be, and if they did happen to see similarities they tended to be ignored.

Sol 08-30-2011 01:56 PM

oooo, subtle, I like subtle :bop:

Brick 09-07-2011 06:06 PM

5 scientific reasons why powerful people will always suck

Rhinoqulous 09-08-2011 09:10 AM

A cool little article about 17 Misconceptions of Evolution and Their Responses.

Smellyoldgit 09-09-2011 05:00 AM

Very crisp & clean.
I look forward to Ken Ham and the Twatican's considered responses.
Fuck it - no I don't.

Rhinoqulous 09-09-2011 10:23 AM

Astrophysicists report first simulation to create a Milky Way-like galaxy.

Eris Simulation

Professor Chaos 09-09-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

The Article wrote
However, because evolutionary facts are thought to step on the toes of modern religious interpretations of life’s diversity (that all humans came from the interbreeding of a family generated from a rib bone, for example)...

:lol:

Kinich Ahau 09-09-2011 10:59 AM

They say that the simulation would take 570 years on a personal computer. I've already done it in my bathtub, and I did it when I was six years old! :P

selliedjoup 09-15-2011 12:19 AM

Quite frankly I'm disgusted at the title of this thread, it's much like a thread entitled bad religion

Davin 09-15-2011 08:25 AM

Quote:

selliedjoup wrote (Post 642945)
Quite frankly I'm disgusted at the title of this thread, it's much like a thread entitled bad religion

Me too, the word "good" just makes me vomit and the word "science" causes my boner to droop. When you put those words together, I vomit all over my limp dick.

Irreligious 09-15-2011 08:49 AM

Quote:

Hmm. I think you might have finally made a coherent point here, Jerry.

Congratulations. :thumbsup:

I mean, "good" is inherently implied when we define something as being confirmed by scientific means. "Bad" science is, basically, not science at all. The fact that it's bad negates its value as anything scientific.

As for "good" religion, well, I don't, personally, see the value in permanently wedding one's self to suppositions that can't be tested but, of course, there are many others who do claim to see the value in it. I guess those folks abhor an unsolved mystery.

psychodiva 09-15-2011 01:40 PM

Quote:

Quite Frankly I don't give a damn

Rhinoqulous 09-15-2011 11:29 PM

A cool little list of 10 Unsolved Problems in Physics. A very interesting read.

Smellyoldgit 09-16-2011 04:56 AM

Indeed, some interesting stuff - but I recall with titters the Choobus proclamations of old, that the likes of the stringy stuff, branes and associated M 'theory' were little more than mental masturbation for those with too much time on their glands.

Have things developed to produce more concrete ideas that could be tested or become useful in engineering fields? I suspect much of it will remain in the realm of the mind tossers for the foreseeable future - but I'd love to be wrong.

Rhinoqulous 09-16-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 643111)
Indeed, some interesting stuff - but I recall with titters the Choobus proclamations of old, that the likes of the stringy stuff, branes and associated M 'theory' were little more than mental masturbation for those with too much time on their glands.

Have things developed to produce more concrete ideas that could be tested or become useful in engineering fields? I suspect much of it will remain in the realm of the mind tossers for the foreseeable future - but I'd love to be wrong.

No, a lot of theoretical physics is still just mental masturbation. We have no where near the technology to test for some of this stuff. Some of it does come with predictions, and if they get some of the problems sorted out it will narrow down what to look for in the experiments that can be done.

What every happened to that ol' Mighty Atheist, Choob?

Smellyoldgit 09-16-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Rhinoqulous wrote
What every happened to that ol' Mighty Atheist, Choob?

We know nothing.
Boredom? Too much work?
Lucrative porn career?
A sad loss, but the heathen scumbag brotherhood battles on regardless.

Rhinoqulous 09-19-2011 09:30 AM

A cool little article of artists imagining worlds outside our solar system. (via David Brin's Facebook page)

psychodiva 09-19-2011 11:58 AM

cool :) reminds me of the old scifi magazines :)

Rhinoqulous 10-10-2011 08:32 PM

NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory Photojournal website, where you can search by body and NASA mission for images. Awesome.

nkb 10-10-2011 08:51 PM

I just watched a program on National Geographic channel called Brain Games, which basically illustrates how the brain cuts corners, fills in missing data, and, generally, can be quite unreliable. Fascinating stuff!

I've only watched the first episode (Watch This!), but I've set up a series recording. I hope the following episodes are as cool as the first one.

Rhinoqulous 10-10-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 646049)
I just watched a program on National Geographic channel called Brain Games, which basically illustrates how the brain cuts corners, fills in missing data, and, generally, can be quite unreliable. Fascinating stuff!

I've only watched the first episode (Watch This!), but I've set up a series recording. I hope the following episodes are as cool as the first one.

I've heard good things about this program, I'll have to set up a recording to catch it in the future. I should see if old episodes are On Demand.