Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atheist News (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ricky Gervais (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16456)

anthonyjfuchs 01-21-2011 10:47 PM

Ricky Gervais

For those who might have missed it, Ricky Gervais thanks God, then defends the remark to Piers Morgan.

Jimble 01-21-2011 11:09 PM

To those, like myself, to whom the second video is unavailable, what happened?

anthonyjfuchs 01-21-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

MORGAN: But the joke I thought was nearest the knuckle, simply `cause I know American culture quite well now -- and they're a very Christian nation here in America -- was what you said right at the end, that almost got phased out. I just want to play this back to you.

[PLAYS CLIP]

GERVAIS: What's up with that?

MORGAN: [LAUGHS] Well, if you are...if you're a believer in God --

GERVAIS: Yeah...

MORGAN: -- if you're a Christian, as many tens-of-millions in America are --

GERVAIS: Absolutely.

MORGAN: -- are...you can see you as poking fun at their religion.

GERVAIS: Not at all. When someone thanks God, I don't get offended.

MORGAN: [LAUGHS]

GERVAIS: Loads...how many people thank God every...every time. They say, "thank God." I don't...I don't...I don't get offended. Do I?

MORGAN: But you must be aware that a lot people in America would potentially find that offensive.

GERVAIS: What...because I'm saying I don't believe in God?

MORGAN: Yeah, `cause you're kind of mocking them.

GERVAIS: No I'm not. I'm not mocking them. People's beliefs aren't...aren't my concern at all. Um, I certainly don't, um, differentiate between religions, either. I look at all religions the same. Unlike religious people, I look at all religions equally.

MORGAN: You were religious `til you were about eight years old, is that right?

GERVAIS: Yeah. I was brought up Christian, yeah.

MORGAN: What...what happened to change your mind then?

GERVAIS: Um...I used to go to, uh, Sunday School all the time, I believed in... What you've got to realize that when you're a working-class kid...I came from a very, um, poor working-class background. My dad was a laborer, mum was a housewife; I lived in a...a poor estate. Um...over here, like the projects. And, um, to a working-class mum who...her hope isn't that you become a doctor or a lawyer, or an international comedian. It's that you don't die in a barroom fight. And they think the best way to do that is to take on Christian values, which...which...you know, which preach your morality, and, um, and... But they haven't got the monopoly on...on good. This is my point. I'm not a Christian. But I live my life in a good way. And some people say, "well, who says what good is?" Well, do you know what? I do. I'm good to people `cause it's the way I want to be treated. Um, and I don't believe I'll be rewarded, um, in Heaven. But I do believe I --

MORGAN: What do you think will happen to you?

GERVAIS: I'll be rewarded now.

MORGAN: But when you die, what do you think happens?

GERVAIS: Um...um...people who liked me remember me.

MORGAN: But what happens to you? Anything?

GERVAIS: What, my physical body?

MORGAN: Yeah, yeah.

GERVAIS: It...it...it breaks down or gets buried.

MORGAN: Your spirit. Anything happen to that?

GERVAIS: I...I...don't believe there is a spirit. I think the "spirit" is...is...is an upshot of...of all your inputs, your beliefs, your...your...some people think you can't believe in love if you're an atheist. Of course I believe in love. Course I believe in the beauty of nature. I just believe that the Earth was made, um, over four-and-a-half billion years, and, um, and...and...and not by design in six days. And, uh, you know, I...I...I wasn't being disrespectful, but I think I have the right to say, "I'm not a believer in God." Just like everyone has the right to believe in God. And spirituality is very different to religion. Let's not forget that. I...I...

MORGAN: Are you a spirit person, do you think?

GERVAIS: Well, not in that sense. But I...I...I get a...I get a funny feeling when I see a friend, or...or a mountain, or an animal. It fills me with joy. I...my first love is science and nature.
I now realize that there's more to the interview than was in this video. I'm tracking down the rest at the moment...

anthonyjfuchs 01-21-2011 11:56 PM

Here's the rest:

Quote:

GERVAIS: But it's explainable. And just because, um, I...I don't think, um, that, I'm going to go to Heaven, I don't think my life's worthless. I don't think --

MORGAN: It's not only that. I always think with atheists -- `cause I...I do believe. I'm...I was --

GERVAIS: Right.

MORGAN: -- brought up a Catholic and remain so.

GERVAIS: Sure.

MORGAN: But, you know, I...I think everyone's entitled to their own beliefs --

GERVAIS: Absolutely.

MORGAN: -- whatever they may be. The problem for atheists...it must be so...so doom...doom and gloom.

GERVAIS: The world?

MORGAN: When you get to, like, seventy, eighty --

GERVAIS: Yeah.

MORGAN: -- to think, "well, hang on; that's it."

GERVAIS: Oh, oh, of course.

MORGAN: "That's the end of everything."

GERVAIS: That's right. Yeah.

MORGAN: So you must fear death ten times more than Christians, don't you?

GERVAIS: Why? I don't believe there's anything after it.

MORGAN: `Cause it's the end.

GERVAIS: But...but you're saying you believe because the alternative is too terrible? "I want" --

MORGAN: That's not why I believe, but certainly it's a very comforting thought to think that I don't think it all ends in the box under the ground.

GERVAIS: But I can't help what I believe. Any more than you can. And, uh, it...it's up to you, what you believe in. You know, and this thing about, um, not believing in God. There are...there are 2,780-odd gods. And so, if you're a Christian, you believe in one of them. And you don't believe in all the others. So --
Here Piers, politely enough, cut Gervais off and went to commercial.

Irreligious 01-22-2011 12:14 AM

The problem is, Gervais' defense of his atheism probably makes no sense to the bulk of religious people. They are incapable of understanding their beliefs as mere beliefs. Hence, atheists are either forced to ignore the bellicose preaching of aggessive theists, as best as they can-- which we all know ain't easy-- or atheists can return the aggression in proportion to theists' agressive rudeness, which only escalates the rancor.

However, atheists still won't win, because aggressive theists will always pardon their own aggression by labeling it something that is wholly justifiable or benign, at best. Instead, they will defensively focus on atheists' aggressive behavior toward them and their religious beliefs as the catalyst for discord between them and so-called nonbelievers.

Here, and in the nonvirtual world, many of them make it quite clear that they have no respect for your right to disagree with them. Ultimately, that is what invites the bulk of the theists who wander into a forum called Raving Atheists Forum. They're certainly not curious about how you could arrive at something as unfathomable as a disbelief in what they believe.

They don't care what you think, why you think it or how you reason not sharing their beliefs and the many conclusions that they draw from their beliefs. You may shut up and pretend to go along the program, if that's the best you can muster, but you just don't have the right to challenge or disagree with them, as far as many of them are concerned. And you will never convince them otherwise. You are their bitch.

anthonyjfuchs 01-22-2011 12:29 AM

I AIN'T NO BITCH! :P

If Lily ever said anything that approximated truth while she was here, it was when she called nonbelievers politically impotent. We're spread too thin to have any political power in terms of electing officials who share our way of thinking. As long as the majority of the nation are Christian, the majority of our politicians will be Christian, and as long as the majority of the government is Christian, non-Christians will have little recourse when they are treated like second-class citizens. This country has never been terribly good toward its minorities.

Incidentally: one of my favorite aspects of the interview was the truly genuine confusion with which Gervais asked: "What...because I'm saying I don't believe in God?" I really don't think he understood why his comment should offend anyone.

Irreligious 01-22-2011 12:46 AM

I think what makes us politically impotent is that we are always on the defensive, and it almost seems to be by design.

Typically, theists are not called upon to defend their beliefs in our society. It's a given that their beliefs are sacrosanct because that serves all believers in the supernatural, the aggressively devout and the half-hearted, nominal theists alike. Generally, theists are rebuked only when they directly criticize or challenge the supernatural beliefs (and attendant values) of other believers in the supernatural which, in our country, the less strident and more civilized among them scrupulously avoid doing in public.

Atheists, on the other hand, must always defend themselves for having the temerity to question or challenge the religious beliefs of others when they, otherwise, have no supernatural beliefs of their own to protect.

Sternwallow 01-22-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

anthonyjfuchs wrote (Post 627067)
For those who might have missed it, Ricky Gervais thanks God, then defends the remark to Piers Morgan.

The Golden Globes awards are nothing without Kitten Natividad. :D

Smellyoldgit 01-22-2011 03:28 AM

Quote:

anthonyjfuchs wrote (Post 627067)

:(

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...dgit/fuchs.jpg

Sternwallow 01-22-2011 06:35 AM

WTF???

How is a video "not available in your country"???

Did the producers want to restrict its distribution, some bureaucrat or some government crap??

Smellyoldgit 01-22-2011 06:43 AM

From some informative blog:

Quote:

You could be staying in a country like US, UK or India but may not be able to watch every video on YouTube – that’s because the content owners have allowed access to that video only from certain countries or geographic regions.

If your computer’s IP address falls outside that geographic region, YouTube will display an error saying “This video is not available in your country” – this message has nothing to do with censorship, it’s the owner of the video clip who could be limiting access.
It rarely happens, but it is annoying. :(
President-to-be AJF has kindly transcripted some of it - but can he be trusted to give us poor bastards the full story?

anthonyjfuchs 01-22-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote
...but can he be trusted...

Not according to the American electorate.

ILOVEJESUS 01-22-2011 10:14 AM

I fucking hate Gervais. One trick pony that he is. Not sure if he is that keen on me either.

anthonyjfuchs 01-22-2011 10:42 AM

According to both an earlier and a later segment of that interview, he doesn't care if you like him. He respects your opinion that you fucking hate him as long as you tell the truth, but he will not tolerate you accusing him of eating a squirrel in the park. No: seriously. His words.

Jimble 01-22-2011 11:42 AM

Quote:

Sternwallow wrote (Post 627088)
WTF???

How is a video "not available in your country"???

Did the producers want to restrict its distribution, some bureaucrat or some government crap??

Have you never seen that before? I get it fairly often, especially with television clips. I guess a lot of media is owned by America though, you're probably safe.

Thanks for the transription Anthony. :thumbsup:
You're a real gent.