Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Does God Exist? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Where we're at with the God Argument (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17432)

Andrew66 11-01-2017 07:43 PM

Where we're at with the God Argument

Hello my Good Friends!

Many thanks to everyone for their participation and hard work looking into, considering, and offering their sage an invaluable advice towards refinement of the God arguments which have been introduced.

I'm pleased to announce we are making great headway!

Firstly we evaluated the model that if there is a multiverse - there is an enhanced likelihood (due to increased possibilities for progressive evolution) that intelligent life, even greater than ours may exist.

Sinfidel was invaluable with his input, pointing out that only if the multiverse was infinite, would this lead to a compelling"inescapable" conclusion that a Higher Power would most certainly exist. Well done Sinny!!!

Davin, made the playful speculation that he wondered whether humans may rank 47th out of a 100 potential beings, LOL. Many thanks to Davin for his humor and lively discussion!

KA should be acknowledged for enlightening us all with the term "progressive evolution". While KA struggled a little at first with her understanding of the concept we all came together as a team and helped her. Thank you and well done KA, we appreciate your effort!

Secondly, we entertained the notion that the concept of God actually in a real and tangible way comes into true existence as a actual living being by integrating physically into the minds of believers!.

It was noted that the neurochemical platform of brain tissue which propogates and sustains God's teachings and will in believers becomes manifest through the actions of such believers. Hence we can say that "God" as a living being, able to do things, actually exists!!.

I'm ecstatic to note that there was no disagreement to the truth of the above statements - Smelly was quick to point out that this "emanation" (Smelly likes the term "emission" LOL) of God's spirit is merely - as Richard Dawkins would put it, a "God Delusion". I suppose the 5 billions believers in God would debate that piont (LOL - Fair enough) but what we did show was that even if God is a mere delusion, the delusion nevertheless takes on real life and power - hence really and actually exists!!!

Finally we all went to Bible study together and investigated what historical scholarship had to say about the Resurrection narrative of Jesus. Guess what, we discovered that (as vetted and confirmed by Bart Erhman) the historical evidence supports the truth of the narrative, and the only reason Atheistic scholars don't accept the conclusion is because of their bias and faith that events which appear supernatural cannot exist.

Ha Ha, what irony - the one and maybe only case where evidence of a Theistic claim is on the side of Theists and the denial of the claim by Atheist is based on faith!

We all enjoyed this irony and had a great laugh together in brotherhood.

In conclusion I again would like to come back to how wonderful, insightful and helpful the Atheists and Agnostics on this site have been. Their help is so wonderfully appreciated.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL ! :D

Sinfidel 11-02-2017 04:31 AM

https://scontent.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...a2&oe=5AABB70C

Sinfidel 11-02-2017 04:45 AM

https://scontent.fybz1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...5e&oe=5A65BA2E

Sinfidel 11-02-2017 05:00 AM

Reykjavik, Iceland – The government of this small island country voted unanimously to place warning labels on every Bible.
Read more at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/laughin...00CZS2EPC4G.99

;)

Davin 11-02-2017 07:05 AM

It's just like we predicted, another stupid argument from Andrew66.

Kinich Ahau 11-02-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 688682)

:lol::lol::lol:

Kinich Ahau 11-02-2017 07:35 AM

It is probably a good thing that he spends so much time at his computer, with his level of stupidity he could really do a good deal harm in the community. This way everyone (including livestock) are likely to be a lot safer.

dogpet 11-02-2017 03:49 PM

Isn't it time to merge threads? All these topics are about the same thing. It's almost as if he's trying to bury the The Incredible Edible Jesus

As if.

Smellyoldgit 11-02-2017 04:05 PM

It's certainly an option - along with closing off his recent bouts of wankery, or confining him to prattle Jesus stuff with Mary the vacuous hag. I'll think about it once I've sobered up. ;)

Andrew66 12-04-2017 02:41 PM

For those of you who don't get it, I'll explain this thread a bit further.

For centuries theologians have posited the existence of God based on "God of the Gaps" argumentation.

Time and time again they've been proven wrong.

But some philosophical arguments regarding an explanation to the very existence of physical existence seem to require an answer whereby a God like being could be hypothesized.

Moreover, science is reticent to provide alternative explanations - so a God hypothesis becomes the "best explanation" available.

What's wrong with having faith in the best possible explanation available??

Just because God of the Gap arguments (aka arguments from ignorance) are inherently fallacious, does not mean they cannot be true!

Michael 12-04-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

For those of you who don't get it, I'll explain this thread a bit further.

For centuries theologians have posited the existence of God based on "God of the Gaps" argumentation.

Time and time again they've been proven wrong.

But some philosophical arguments regarding an explanation to the very existence of physical existence seem to require an answer whereby a God like being could be hypothesized.

Moreover, science is reticent to provide alternative explanations - so a God hypothesis becomes the "best explanation" available.

What's wrong with having faith in the best possible explanation available??

Just because God of the Gap arguments (aka arguments from ignorance) are inherently fallacious, does not mean they cannot be true!
Wow, there is a LOT here that needs to be unpacked here. I'm stuck on my ipad so I'm not going to right now -

The quickest response I can give: even a broken watch is correct twice a day, that doesn't mean you should rely on it to tell the time.
If you rely on flawed philosophy - even if you manage to accidentally get the correct answer once it doesn't mean it's reliable on other questions.

Andrew66 12-04-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 688904)
Wow, there is a LOT here that needs to be unpacked here. I'm stuck on my ipad so I'm not going to right now -

The quickest response I can give: even a broken watch is correct twice a day, that doesn't mean you should rely on it to tell the time.
If you rely on flawed philosophy - even if you manage to accidentally get the correct answer once it doesn't mean it's reliable on other questions.

Hello Michael

An honour to have you join in on the conversation. So refreshing to have a sane, intelligent voice out there.

My counter to your point is that, with respect, you are committing the falacy entitled "argumentum ad antiquitatem".

Just because God of the Gaps argumentation was proven false in the past, this does not predict that it will again for new, fresh arguments, in the present or future.

Normally I would not take a God of Gaps, argument (from ignorance) to seriously, but when science and reason fails to provide a reasonable alternative to God, all I'm saying is - perhaps faith in the best explanation available isn't all that crazy.