Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atheist/Theist Morality (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   And the moral of the story is: Don't work for a Christian school (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16901)

Stargazer 04-11-2012 02:39 PM

And the moral of the story is: Don't work for a Christian school

So I guess their volleyball team is going to be coached by God. Good luck, kids.....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...145601399.html

Michael 04-11-2012 02:53 PM

Wow.

I get that the school did what they did for a reason. Hell, I even almost support them with the decision - this teacher knew their rules going in, and still broke them (I say almost because at the end of the day I just can't bring myself to be okay with a school firing a teacher just because she's pregnant).

The real scummy thing is that from the sounds of things this teacher is now pregnant, unemployed, and doesn't have the proper medical insurance to take care of this pregnancy anymore, and all of that is 100% on the school (except the her being pregnant part. I don't think the school did that. Unless.....).

There are any number of things they could've done, but instead they threw her out in the cold.

Stargazer 04-11-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 663609)
Wow.

I get that the school did what they did for a reason. Hell, I even almost support them with the decision - this teacher knew their rules going in, and still broke them (I say almost because at the end of the day I just can't bring myself to be okay with a school firing a teacher just because she's pregnant).

The real scummy thing is that from the sounds of things this teacher is now pregnant, unemployed, and doesn't have the proper medical insurance to take care of this pregnancy anymore, and all of that is 100% on the school (except the her being pregnant part. I don't think the school did that. Unless.....).

There are any number of things they could've done, but instead they threw her out in the cold.

I guess it was the Christian thing to do?

Eva 04-12-2012 05:01 AM

yeah, they could have paid for her abortion, and her contraception!

divine zombie 04-12-2012 08:29 AM

Dunno wtf she expected to happen.

Unless of course it's one of those 'special' pregancies where god shagged her.

psychodiva 04-12-2012 10:24 AM

wouldn't get away with it in the UK

Catsratz 11-06-2012 02:55 PM

I didn't even make out so hot as a secretary in a secular school. Standing for the pledge and feeling like a big weenie even after omitting "under god" and worse, as the Iraq Attack was going on at the time. So I asked the principal if it was mandatory and she said no. She was cool about it, after first having said she'd never got such a request before. So I sat but felt way conspicuous, in a roomful of kids signing in late and the other secretary glaring daggers at me across the room. Such a dip she even wanted single women addressed as "Mrs." This isn't why I left, but it made leaving an otherwise good job a lot easier.

Ask me sometime about my job as a clerk in a probation office.

Catsratz 11-06-2012 05:39 PM

Okay, you twisted my arm. Thought you'd never ask. Although retirement pays stink and I miss working, I'm done with religious co-workers - aka "all of them." And females get stuck working with all (religious) women in their employments. Office women are so religious they say at the end of Summer, "Next thing you know, Christmas will be here." We had Christmas Carols on the radio for Christmas in July. And I sit in the middle of the entire hypocritical operation.

Early December, I know the party's coming up and put in for a Personal Day. The big boss comes out and says but I'll miss the Christmas party. I said I know. She keeps ferreting at me and I'm forced to mention the music and how I'm not religious. "Agnostic?" and I pop the answer: atheist. "Oh, no, that can't be good! Stop going to those wacky websites!"

I swear she said that. One reason I'm happy to be unemployed/retired although I've always loved working itself, both physical and clerical. Religion always sticks it to me somewhere. It'll still go straight up my nose with the Internet and the weekly flyer, but it's certainly better than that.

PS I'm joking. Of course, there are no jobs in this country any more anyway.

ILOVEJESUS 11-07-2012 03:00 AM

I like Christmas!

nkb 11-07-2012 08:51 AM

Quote:

Catsratz wrote (Post 669193)
Okay, you twisted my arm. Thought you'd never ask. Although retirement pays stink and I miss working, I'm done with religious co-workers - aka "all of them." And females get stuck working with all (religious) women in their employments. Office women are so religious they say at the end of Summer, "Next thing you know, Christmas will be here." We had Christmas Carols on the radio for Christmas in July. And I sit in the middle of the entire hypocritical operation.

Early December, I know the party's coming up and put in for a Personal Day. The big boss comes out and says but I'll miss the Christmas party. I said I know. She keeps ferreting at me and I'm forced to mention the music and how I'm not religious. "Agnostic?" and I pop the answer: atheist. "Oh, no, that can't be good! Stop going to those wacky websites!"

I swear she said that. One reason I'm happy to be unemployed/retired although I've always loved working itself, both physical and clerical. Religion always sticks it to me somewhere. It'll still go straight up my nose with the Internet and the weekly flyer, but it's certainly better than that.

PS I'm joking. Of course, there are no jobs in this country any more anyway.

That stuff is not unique to office workers, or women. I get crap like that all the time.

A few years ago, our admin asked me whether I believe in God (can't remember how it came up), and I told her "no". She shook her head sadly, and said "That's a shame!".

Ask me if I give a fuck what she actually thought?

West491 11-07-2012 11:51 AM

An admin here?

nkb 11-07-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

West491 wrote (Post 669226)
An admin here?

No, at my work. I was talking about an administrative assistant (what used to be called a secretary). She was a bitter old self-important lady who apparently liked to judge others (like most true Christians do).

Smellyoldgit 11-07-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 669235)
She was a bitter old self-important lady who apparently liked to judge others (like most true Christians do).

Nooo! :o I'm having flashbacks of the worst bovine kind!

nkb 11-08-2012 06:56 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 669237)
Nooo! :o I'm having flashbacks of the worst bovine kind!

It was shades of the Bovine One, but not nearly as abrasive.

psychodiva 11-09-2012 02:31 PM

you lot should come work with me- everybody knows i am a militant atheist and everybody largely agrees with me- thats what you get for working in the NHS and Crminal Justice Systems:D