Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Five years away from hyperspace propulsion? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13212)

Tenspace 06-13-2007 06:41 AM

Interesting article, but I don't think they'll be testing a working model in five years. And who the hell is Burkhard Heim?

US Government Investigates Travel in other Dimensions

Oh... he's This Guy.

And a link to the 2004 paper: Guidelines for a space propulsion device based on Heim's quantum theory (pdf)

a different tim 06-13-2007 07:13 AM

There was some stuff on this guy in New Scientist.

he had, as I recall, a fringe* interpretation of quantum Theory, that was consistent with experiment but is not shared by most physicists. In other words, there is a good chance his theory is wrong.

*Not fringe as in nutjob, just fringe as in most physicists don't hold to it.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...yperspace.html

I suppose it's worth testing his ideas, though I'm not holding my breath.

Choobus 06-13-2007 08:15 AM

We can't even make a decent fusion reactor using well known theory that is actually correct (as far as we know), so I wouldn't get too excited about any hyperspace engines. I agree with ADT though. It's worth looking.

antix 06-13-2007 08:18 AM

An interesting idea, but if the physics do turn out to be legit and this idea is plausible, you have watch out cause you don't want to end up in a situation like thisthis

RenaissanceMan 06-13-2007 08:57 AM

There is no fucking way I'm putting my testicles on a ship that generates a magnetic field powerful enough to go to another dimension.

Egotistical Atheist 06-15-2007 06:50 PM

That is why I like this forum so much, I can even learn about physics. I have to admit that my knowledge of physics is very little so it helps me to read your posts.

myst7426 06-17-2007 04:21 AM

Yeah right. Where are the flying cars and robots that can do anything that are common in every household? Wasn't this a vision of the future proposed in the 50's?

baconeatingatheistjew 06-17-2007 05:06 AM

Quote:

myst7426 wrote
Yeah right. Where are the flying cars and robots that can do anything that are common in every household? Wasn't this a vision of the future proposed in the 50's?

Yes, and it came true in the 60's with the Jetsons.

myst7426 06-17-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

baconeatingatheistjew wrote
Quote:

myst7426 wrote

I meant in real life.

Omg, look BEAJ, someone said something critical about a Jew. Go get them! Call them an anti-semite.

RenaissanceMan 06-17-2007 05:22 AM

Quote:

myst7426 wrote

My favorite is the film footage with Sikorsky showing off his "personal helicopter" complete with grocery basket. In one swell foop, he proposed a vehicle that's more dangerous than a Ford pinto without brakes or seat belts, gets worse gas milage than a military hummer, and has less cargo capacity than a Vespa scooter.

baconeatingatheistjew 06-17-2007 05:39 AM

Quote:

myst7426 wrote
Quote:

Quote:

myst7426 wrote

I meant in real life.

Omg, look BEAJ, someone said something critical about a Jew. Go get them! Call them an anti-semite.

Visit any suicide innovation sites lately?

Hertzyscowicz 06-18-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

myst7426 wrote
Quote:

I meant in real life.

Does anyone else think that five years is a bit of a strict deadline for putting a hyperdrive together?

Sternwallow 06-18-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Hertzyscowicz wrote
Quote:

Quote:

myst7426 wrote
I meant in real life.

Does anyone else think that five years is a bit of a strict deadline for putting a hyperdrive together?

From the discussion so far, I would confidently guess that a cartoon or even maybe a CGI representation of a hyperdrive could appear within five years ... except is already has.