Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   You're not going to fall for this, are you? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16845)

Egor 02-03-2012 12:05 AM

You're not going to fall for this, are you?

Astronomers have found a planet within the zone of possible life circling its star.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexknap...itable-planet/

You all don't believe in that do you? In fact, I'm sure you would all completely disregard such fantasies as space aliens, right? I would suppose atheists, in fact, remain quite certain that earth is the only planet with life on it in the entire universe--just like medieval people believed.

I am right about that, aren't I? :eh:

Kinich Ahau 02-03-2012 12:52 AM

EGOr, like everything else, especially God we await the evidence. And I hate to disappoint you but you are not the centre of the universe.

I personally am not awaiting any evidence for God. I believe that there is abundant evidence that Gods are a man made concept.

What's up EGOr? Nobody visiting your blog?

Smellyoldgit 02-03-2012 01:12 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658053)
I am right about that, aren't I?

http://www.sleestacks.com/wp-content...er-300x200.jpg

Eternal 02-03-2012 01:59 AM

Seeing as the bulk of scientists i am aware of are atheists, I doubt you presumptions are true.

The beauty of Atheism is no preconceived ideas until the evidence is presented, at this current moment I do not beleive in aliens, if someone presents some evidence then I will re-evaluate my position.

Surely, looking at the world as a whole the better comparison to medieval people would be the religious, the catholic church is at least a couple of hundred years out of date with its advice and reasoning, most muslim countries are not far past medieval living standards, and the jewish do not seem to be fairing to well in the common sense/forward thinking department.

Michael 02-03-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658053)
Astronomers have found a planet within the zone of possible life circling its star.

You all don't believe in that do you? In fact, I'm sure you would all completely disregard such fantasies as space aliens, right? I would suppose atheists, in fact, remain quite certain that earth is the only planet with life on it in the entire universe--just like medieval people believed.

I am right about that, aren't I? :eh:

There was another one of these a few months ago and when I first heard about it, I thought it was pretty cool. It becomes slightly-less-cool (or even more cool, depending on your viewpoint) when you realise there are about 54 rocky Earth and Super-Earth planets discovered in so-called "habitable zones" so far. (yes, I realise just being in a habitable zone alone is not enough to sustain life, but it's the first key step)

So, yeah, this is pretty old news. There are plenty of other planets out there that may be like Earth.

As for your comment about automatically dis-believing in aliens, you were about half right. As far as I'm concerned anyhow. I can only talk for myself here, but follow my logic -

Any atheist who doesn't want to be a hypocrite would be an idiot to say they believe in aliens when there is as much credible evidence for aliens as there is for a god: none.

However, to automatically categorize the idea as false would be as much as an error as to automatically categorize the idea as true. The evidence must be looked at, and then the possibility of aliens must be approached in accordance to the evidence.

So I would say that as for the likelihood of aliens, given the number of planets found in habitable zones in our galaxy alone, we should not treat the idea as out of the realms of possibility (rather I believe it is fervently inside the realm of possibility), however we do not have enough evidence so far to treat the idea as definate.

For all we know we really are alone in the universe. Chances are good we may never know.

Still, it's a really cool idea though. And that article was charming, with the superman allegory.

Michael 02-03-2012 03:30 AM

Also, in case you're interested:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...st-humans.html

Michael 02-03-2012 03:33 AM

Thirdly, I'm confused why you would possibly think that we would completely disregard the idea of aliens, and then try to say it's because we think like medieval people, possibly the most religious and (dare I say it?) gullible people around.

Sounds more like your type of crowd to me.

Eternal 02-03-2012 03:42 AM

Yep, a pretty cool concept. Even if life were to evolve on another planet, who is to say that it would be carbon based, I would of thought that a silicone based life form would have just as much chance at survival.

ILOVEJESUS 02-03-2012 04:11 AM

Well we have some exciting prospects for life, maybe even complex, right here in our own solar system. Jupiters moons, especially Europa, have strong possibilities of harbouring massive oceans kept as liquid due to tidal forces between the moons and Jupiter. Saturns moon Titan is very very earthlike, just with different chemistry. It has an atmosphere, "fart" oceans (I know human farts are hydrogen mainly), and though cold, maybe has potential for life to exist. Asteroid ice is also shown to possibly harbour the basic building blocks of our existence. Maybe that is how "God" seeded the universe.
As for the idiots point.......well has he a point or is he just saying that if we believe in aliens we must believe in god too? Or is he stating that it is stupid to just believe in stuff without any evidence? Trouble is we know life can exist, because we see it here all the time, so are just assuming that it could well exist elsewhere. Nobody as of yet has seen a god, and proved it.

Smellyoldgit 02-03-2012 04:15 AM

Quote:

Eternal wrote (Post 658061)
I would of thought that a silicone based life form would have just as much chance at survival.

Indeed.

http://www.breast-surgery411.com/wp-...implants-4.jpg

Michael 02-03-2012 05:07 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 658067)

For her sake I would hope that's photoshopped. Imagine the back problems she's going to have!

Uh, I mean...Yay! Boobs!

Eternal 02-03-2012 05:12 AM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 658068)
For her sake I would hope that's photoshopped. Imagine the back problems she's going to have!

Uh, I mean...Yay! Boobs!

Don't worry about the back problems, i'm sure we could design a custom zimmer frame to accomodate her.

Smellyoldgit 02-03-2012 05:28 AM

http://best-b2b.com/userimg/1017/104...affold-868.jpg

Kinich Ahau 02-03-2012 05:48 AM

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...ant_bra_05.jpg

Sol 02-03-2012 05:57 AM

oops-a-daisy...
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...D2WL296sGV-OyQ

Egor 02-03-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 658054)
What's up EGOr? Nobody visiting your blog?

That's irrelevant at this point. All that matters is I keep it going. And I do with nearly daily posts. I don’t care about comments. Since I try to respond to all the comments, that just means more work.
Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 658057)

So I would say that as for the likelihood of aliens, given the number of planets found in habitable zones in our galaxy alone, we should not treat the idea as out of the realms of possibility (rather I believe it is fervently inside the realm of possibility), however we do not have enough evidence so far to treat the idea as definate.

Look how much more “fervent” you are about the possibility of aliens, when there is no evidence and no need for them to exist. But when it comes to God, why heck that just don’t make no sense!

Why don’t you just admit it: You want to be an atheist.

-----------------
@ Smelly
You’re the moderator of this forum; why don’t you try to be a little more mature? You’re like some spamming hacker troll in your own forum.

Quote:

ILOVEJESUS wrote (Post 658065)
As for the idiots point.......well has he a point or is he just saying that if we believe in aliens we must believe in god too? Or is he stating that it is stupid to just believe in stuff without any evidence? Trouble is we know life can exist, because we see it here all the time, so are just assuming that it could well exist elsewhere. Nobody as of yet has seen a god, and proved it.

All fired up about aliens! But hey, there are 100 billion galaxies, there’s at least a 1 in multiple trillions of a chance that there is life out there. It’s not necessary, we’ve seen not one shred of evidence for it, but you’re willing to let your heart believe in it.

Why don’t you just admit you want to be an atheist?

ILOVEJESUS 02-03-2012 11:51 AM

You have made a boo boo again. We see life on our planet, (please read the post) and assume not state it is so. I would not blow up a building in the name of aliens, nor devote my life to them, (maybe to trying to discover them) but I would accept that without the evidence for them, they are just a theory. However there is evidence of life, we see it on this planet. Where is this god. Admit it, you are deperate for a fable to be true to justify your own existence.

Stargazer 02-03-2012 11:52 AM

C'mon Egor. Instead of bugging us about aliens, provide us with proof that there is a God and be done with it. Just as we're waiting for proof of aliens, we are waiting for proof of God.

Until there is evidence, aliens and God are both just figments of our imaginations.

ILOVEJESUS 02-03-2012 11:55 AM

[quote=Stargazer;658100]C'mon Egor. Instead of bugging us about aliens, provide us with proof that there is a God and be done with it. Just as we're waiting for proof of aliens, we are waiting for proof of God.

Until there is evidence, aliens and God are both just figments of our imaginations.[/quot
I think I know what will be proved first.

Stevil 02-03-2012 12:26 PM

I would imagine that if there are extra terrestrial life then they are made of energy/matter just like everything else that we have observed.
They would have evolved, just like every other living thing that we have observed.
That they would be the natural and inevitable consequence of this Universe that we exist within.

None of this logic applies to any god theory.

Irreligious 02-03-2012 12:39 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658096)
Look how much more “fervent” you are about the possibility of aliens, when there is no evidence and no need for them to exist. But when it comes to God, why heck that just don’t make no sense!

No one can definitively rule out the possible existence of a god, if it makes you happy, Egor. Of course, no one can definitively rule out the existence of unicorns, leprachauns and Big Foot, either.

I would have thought by now that you realize we cannot prove a negative.

Why is it so important to you that we believe whatever it is you are claiming to believe? I don't know what the hell you think a god is. Why are you insistent that I pretend that I do?

Quote:

Egor wrote
Why don’t you just admit it: You want to be an atheist.

Do you want to not believe in the existence of Big Foot, unicorns and leprachauns? Do you even think that's a reasonable question, given the lack of evidence for these allegations?

Quote:

Egor wrote
-----------------
@ Smelly
You’re the moderator of this forum; why don’t you try to be a little more mature? You’re like some spamming hacker troll in your own forum.

You are the one behaving immaturely. You're badgering people to believe what you believe and not offering them any compelling reason to do so. After a while, a person loses patience with the egregiously bad behavior you're indulging here.

If you cannot tell us specifically what a god is, exactly how it allegedly created anything and we cannot examine this allegation of yours for ourselves, we don't owe you any credibility. We are not required to share your faith.

Otherwise, no one here is telling you that a god (whatever that's supposed to be) does not exist, only that there is no known evidence for this thing you're claiming. Hence, we don't believe in your claim.

If you want to keep insisting that we have to believe what you do when we already explained several times why we don't, then you have only yourself to blame for the rude treatment that you are accorded here. You are purposely inviting it when you don't have to.

Quote:

Egor wrote
All fired up about aliens! But hey, there are 100 billion galaxies, there’s at least a 1 in multiple trillions of a chance that there is life out there. It’s not necessary, we’ve seen not one shred of evidence for it, but you’re willing to let your heart believe in it.

We're not all fired up about alleged aliens. It would appear that you are, since you created the thread.

Scientists are merely speculating about the possible existence of what we would have to call "alien" life forms, if it turns out that life does exist elsewhere. If there is life that originated outside of this planet, it would necessarily be "alien" or "foreign" to us. However, scientists are not claiming to know that there is life on other planets, what it looks like or whether or not it is intelligent. Personally, I won't get excited about their speculations until there is some evidence of alleged alien life forms.

The same goes for your speculations.

Quote:

Egor wrote

Why don't you just admit you can't stand the idea of other people not sharing your unfounded beliefs, or you faith in alleged things that have not been revealed?

Stargazer 02-03-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Stevil wrote (Post 658104)
I would imagine that if there are extra terrestrial life then they are made of energy/matter just like everything else that we have observed.
They would have evolved, just like every other living thing that we have observed.
That they would be the natural and inevitable consequence of this Universe that we exist within.

None of this logic applies to any god theory.

If that turns out to be the case, proof will be straightforward and logical, like photos, videos, and/or actual visits.

No need for thirty paragraph "premises," or demands that one "has to have faith."

Smellyoldgit 02-03-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

One of the forum shitstains wrote
@ Smelly

Well fuck me ragged - I've been judged by our vising numpty troll-poe, and I'm so terminally underwhelmed, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to show my arse in public again. :rolleyes: Perhaps if you ever manage to train your semen stained fingers to hack out anything that wasn't so shitstirringly stupid, there'd be no need for those of us who've read all the bullshit before to take ever more gallons of piss out of your idiocy.

ubs 02-03-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658096)

Absolutely. I want to be an atheist.

Now you admit you just want to be a theist.

Stargazer 02-03-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

ubs wrote (Post 658145)

:clap:

orangeitis 02-03-2012 07:01 PM

I think I speak for 99% of the atheists here when I say what we want is to believe as much truth as possible, while disbelieving as much false things as possible. If Humankind found solid, scientific evidence that a deity exists, we all would probably accept it and become theists.

West491 02-03-2012 08:21 PM

Indeed Orange. And if we only believed what there was evidence for, we would all be atheists.

lostsheep 02-03-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 658126)
Well fuck me ragged - I've been judged by our visiting numpty troll-poe, and I'm so terminally underwhelmed, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to show my arse in public again. :rolleyes: Perhaps if you ever manage to train your semen stained fingers to hack out anything that wasn't so shitstirringly stupid, there'd be no need for those of us who've read all the bullshit before to take ever more gallons of piss out of your idiocy.

LOL!

Egor 02-03-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

ubs wrote (Post 658145)

Quote:

ubs wrote (Post 658145)

Finally! Instead of some stupid comment about proving God in a laboratory as if He were one of the elements, instead of ridiculous mods who apparently are obsessed with anuses and bodily excrement (since he talks about them in every post he writes), instead the same old tub thumping about how good it would be to be able to believe, but alas atheists are just too rational for that, we finally get an atheist who will tell the truth.

And that truth is in complete contradiction to the atheist who posts just after him and says he speak for 99% of all atheist when he says all they want is to believe the truth.

I applaud your honesty. You’re going to burn in hell, of course, but I applaud your honesty.

As for me wanting to be a theist, I thought that was already assumed. Of course I want to be a theist. I’ve spent my life building my relationship with God. There is nothing I want more than that.

Stargazer 02-03-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658172)
Finally! Instead of some stupid comment about proving God in a laboratory as if he were one of the elements

I don't think we asked you to prove God in a laboratory. We did ask you to prove God, however.

More specifically, provide proof that there is a God. That's all.

Specific proof. Hopefully in 100 words or less, or better yet, a photo or a video.

I believe that to be a reasonable request.

Egor 02-03-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658173)
I don't think we asked you to prove God in a laboratory. We did ask you to prove God, however.

More specifically, provide proof that there is a God. That's all.

Specific proof. Hopefully in 100 words or less, or better yet, a photo or a video.

I believe that to be a reasonable request.

Stargazer, seriously, are you asking for a photo or video of God? :sick:

What can I say? Just point your camera in any direction and snap a photo. There's God.

Why do I get the feeling you're still not convinced?

Kinich Ahau 02-04-2012 12:11 AM

EGOr, if God is so evident and obvious why do you presume to speak for him all the time?

Michael 02-04-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658174)

What can I say? Just point your camera in any direction and snap a photo. There's God.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...VMgOhUCfWen7tw

There he is!

(that's not me btw, I found it on google)

sgt8 02-04-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 658158)
I think I speak for 99% of the atheists here when I say what we want is to believe as much truth as possible, while disbelieving as much false things as possible. If Humankind found solid, scientific evidence that a deity exists, we all would probably accept it and become theists.

:thumbsup:

I think I speak for 99% of the atheists here when I say that Egor is a wanker.

ILOVEJESUS 02-04-2012 03:16 AM

Does Egor believe in unicorns? How about Transpace Energy? The magical energy caused interacting with our dimension that transmits gods will? You cannot see either of these, but they are there. I know this to be true.

Smellyoldgit 02-04-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658174)
Just point your camera in any direction and snap a photo. There's God.

http://topnews.net.nz/images/Birth-defect.jpg
http://www.documentingreality.com/fo...ildvulture.jpg
http://www.avbbf.com/forum/transfer/...sunami%202.jpg
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/towers.jpg
http://www.changeyourmind.ltd.uk/med..._cancer_cr.jpg

sgt8 02-04-2012 05:50 AM

But see here Smelly, all that those pictures really prove is that man has a sinful nature. And even though nothing happens that his not His will, somehow our sinful nature happens in spite of His will. And it is because of our sinful nature that He decides to screw over some among us for life--those in the pictures, for example--because He loves us. It all makes perfect sense, especially after a few drags on the ganja-stick.

I would point Egor to a reasoned treatment of the Problem of Evil, but I get the feeling that the prick is too stupid and it would be wasted effort.

Oh, what the heck. Here, Egor:

http://www.ebonmusings.org/atheism/a...lds.html#part2

Stargazer 02-04-2012 06:38 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658174)

I do not understand why God gets to be a special case in the "proving" category. For aliens, you would require a photo, video, or other hard proof. Pictures/videos OF THE ALIEN.

But God? You tell me: Just point your camera in any direction. Really? That proves nothing. It just proves I can take a picture of my dog, or the stack of books on my desk.

You're right. I'm not convinced.

Smellyoldgit 02-04-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

sgt8 wrote (Post 658187)
but I get the feeling that the prick is too stupid and it would be wasted effort.

Methinks you over-rate the dolt - but thanks for reminding me what interesting reading Ebon Musings provides. :thumbsup:

Egor 02-04-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 658175)
EGOr, if God is so evident and obvious why do you presume to speak for him all the time?

When have I ever prophesized to you? I don’t speak for God; God speaks for God. But if I do speak for God, it’s true, because God speaks to me. He speaks to you, too, but you won’t listen.

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658193)
I do not understand why God gets to be a special case in the "proving" category. For aliens, you would require a photo, video, or other hard proof. Pictures/videos OF THE ALIEN.

It’s funny you should say that, because that’s the last thing that would convince me. In fact, I’ll bet we can find video and photos of aliens right now on Google and YouTube, but they’re fake, and even if they’re not, they might as well be.

Quote:

But God? You tell me: Just point your camera in any direction. Really? That proves nothing. It just proves I can take a picture of my dog, or the stack of books on my desk.
Quote:

Exactly. So, why do you ask for more proof?

I’ll tell you, I read it so often, “proof, show me the proof, prove it, show me God…” It’s like listening to a room full of blind people begging for someone to help them. Then you go to lend them a hand and they slap it away, because you didn’t realize they'd already gone insane.

orangeitis 02-04-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658172)
And that truth is in complete contradiction to the atheist who posts just after him and says he speak for 99% of all atheist when he says all they want is to believe the truth.

It's not in contradiction at all. I'd bet that ubs wants to be an atheist because that's the most rational viewpoint that humanity has. And if there was evidence to a deity existing, I'm sure he'd want to be a theist, strictly in the context of the evidence.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658172)
I applaud your honesty. You’re going to burn in hell, of course, but I applaud your honesty.

There is no "of course", as there isn't any evidence for it. It's just your wishful thinking, and quite frankly, it's a threat on your behalf, even considering that there's no such thing. If I were ubs, I would have no reason to even consider what you're saying any more, let alone respond to you.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658174)

So you're defining God as anything you want? Is your god a fire hydrant? Is your god a random hobo?

You need to be more specific in your definition if you wish to put up an argument.

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658193)

Egor is using the common theistic false dichotomy of implying that "the trees and the clouds" etc must be made from the deity he worships, as he doesn't understand the physics behind them, and assumes that a god is the only possible way they could exist.

Of course you probably knew that's what he was saying, but just to make sure. :)

Kinich Ahau 02-04-2012 07:41 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658196)
God speaks for God.

You mean like in those pictures Smelly posted?

Kinich Ahau 02-04-2012 07:48 AM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 658197)
There is no "of course", as there isn't any evidence for it. It's just your wishful thinking, and quite frankly, it's a threat on your behalf, even considering that there's no such thing. If I were ubs, I would have no reason to even consider what you're saying any more, let alone respond to you.

As an Irish/Australian comedian stated recently, telling an Atheist he's going to hell is like a hippie telling a christian he is going to punch him in the aura.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658196)

I’ll tell you, I read it so often, “proof, show me the proof, prove it, show me God…” It’s like listening to a room full of blind people begging for someone to help them. Then you go to lend them a hand and they slap it away, because you didn’t realize they'd already gone insane.

Why is proof such a problem?

Why must you deflect attention from the above question by resorting to insults instead?

ubs 02-04-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658172)

As for me wanting to be a theist, I thought that was already assumed. Of course I want to be a theist. I’ve spent my life building my relationship with God. There is nothing I want more than that.

Egor, I want you to know something because when this finally comes to pass neither of us will have fingers nor keyboards, nor even mouths to talk about it.

When the two of us are decomposing in a compost heap and my molecules are commingling with yours as they surely will be, the sad erratic gestures of your mitochondria attempting to prostate to shit that isn't there will give me just the time I need to take control.

I promise to be a firm but just master.

orangeitis 02-04-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658196)

I'm just going out on a limb here... because he's not convinced?

Proof of claims, especially extraordinary ones, is needed for any rational-minded person to believe you.

Tell me, do you actually think you'll accomplish anything by just telling us your view and saying that it's the truth instead of demonstrating any of your claims? You might want to read my guide before you continue. :)

Kinich Ahau 02-04-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

ubs wrote (Post 658203)
Egor, I want you to know something because when this finally comes to pass neither of us will have fingers nor keyboards, nor even mouths to talk about it.

When the two of us are decomposing in a compost heap and my molecules are commingling with yours as they surely will be, the sad erratic gestures of your mitochondria attempting to prostate to shit that isn't there will give me just the time I need to take control.

I promise to be a firm but just master.

Uurgh! I don't want my molecules mingling with EGOr's. They don't deserve it as they were once much more evolved than his numpty molecules.

Irreligious 02-04-2012 08:32 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658174)

Because it's bullshit. You're being purposely vague because you think it's profound. Well, it isn't. You're not saying anything, except that you believe this god thing created everything. You are steadfasting avoiding saying what a god is or how it created anything.

Sol 02-04-2012 08:40 AM

As a member of the 1% of those who cannot be spoken for...

I am not an atheist, I didn't sign up to a club, or read the charter nor agree to any articles of faith...
I am what other people call an atheist, I have never been called an agnostic (more than once)

A life form on another planet is just that, a life form on another planet
Its not a bug eyed, space travelling, arse bandit with a penchant for cows and red-necks.

I work on the presumption that life may have evolved on other planets. I also work on the presumption that they may be too far away for us to find them. If we do find them then that's just peachy, if we don't, well it's not gonna be a huge disappointment.

These are my presumptions, I would not however, presume to force these ideas upon others under threat of pain and suffering.

Which brings us back to this god fella. Unlike others I have no need for evidence for god, no need to prove anything to me.
I have it on good authority, from shall we say, less well-educated people that god is self evident..............

So, if god does turn up, well that's just peachy, if not, well it's not gonna be a huge disappointment.

Also, and thank you for your concern, but if hell should turn out to be real. All I can say is, I am going to be in some marvellous company. :)

clambake 02-04-2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 658194)
Methinks you over-rate the dolt - but thanks for reminding me what interesting reading Ebon Musings provides. :thumbsup:

Indeed, I credit EM for curing me of my wankerish agnosticism.

Irreligious 02-04-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658196)

When have I ever prophesized to you? I don’t speak for God; God speaks for God. But if I do speak for God, it’s true, because God speaks to me. He speaks to you, too, but you won’t listen.

All you do here is make unverifiable claims about an allegation that you will not dare define, even under pain of death. The whole thing that you're proposing as real would unravel, if you did. Meanwhile, the more vague you can make this alleged thing, the more power you think it has.

Whatever this allegation is in your mind, you are the one talking for it, even as deny that you are and then turn around-- in the same sentence, no less-- and claim to be speaking on it's behalf because you claim it speaks to you.

You don't make any sense.

Quote:

Egor wrote
It’s funny you should say that, because that’s the last thing that would convince me. In fact, I’ll bet we can find video and photos of aliens right now on Google and YouTube, but they’re fake, and even if they’re not, they might as well be.

If one could point a camera at an alleged god, what would it look like? Despite your obfuscating attempts to avoid answering direct questions, the existence of trees and cloud patterns are not evidence for what you claim.

Quote:

Egor wrote

Because, like everyone else on the planet, Egor is required to provide evidence for his claims if Egor expects to earn the credibility of others. However, if you want to revel in your delusions in peace, it's best that you not share them.

Quote:

Egor wrote

You are the one who is insane if you honestly think that we are begging for guidance from a delusional narcissist who is convinced that he communes with the alleged creator of existence.

All you have got to offer us is this: "I'm Egor, dammit! Believe what I tell you, or else!"

That's not compelling.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658202)

Why must you deflect attention from the above question by resorting to insults instead?

Sorry to quote myself, but it's been too long since I posted this to edit.

Egor, I really think you should answer both of these questions. In the name of open and honest debate.

psychodiva 02-04-2012 10:03 AM

he doesn't know what open and honest mean

ILOVEJESUS 02-04-2012 11:12 AM

He doesn't know what god is, but still follows it.....

Stargazer 02-04-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 658215)
he doesn't know what open and honest mean

That may be, but I'd like to see an answer to those specific questions in his own words.

Egor 02-04-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Sol wrote (Post 658207)
Also, and thank you for your concern, but if hell should turn out to be real. All I can say is, I am going to be in some marvellous company.

No you won’t. You’ll be alone. “Company” is a surrogate pleasure we feel here instead of the oneness with God we truly want. You won’t be with God in hell, and you won’t know of the existence of anyone else, either. At least when you were a baby in your mother’s womb, you had God. In the end, you will be alone.

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658214)
Sorry to quote myself, but it's been too long since I posted this to edit.

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658214)
Egor, I really think you should answer both of these questions. In the name of open and honest debate.

It’s not. You asked for proof, a photo or a video. I told you to point your camera in any direction and start shooting. You said you weren’t satisfied with that. That’s your problem.

Because when I gave you what you asked for, you turned it away while still squawking for proof.

The fact is, if you won’t settle for the proof that’s right in front of you (your dog, your books, etc.) then you will have to settle for evidence of God, because God isn’t going to force you to believe in Him, which is what you’re asking for. That isn’t why you were created. You were created to evolve spiritually through the lessons and faith you acquire in this life. As soon as you see God in such a way that you cannot doubt, all spiritual growth stops.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658224)

No you won’t. You’ll be alone. “Company” is a surrogate pleasure we feel here instead of the oneness with God we truly want. You won’t be with God in hell, and you won’t know of the existence of anyone else, either. At least when you were a baby in your mother’s womb, you had God. In the end, you will be alone.

It’s not. You asked for proof, a photo or a video. I told you to point your camera in any direction and start shooting. You said you weren’t satisfied with that. That’s your problem.

Because when I gave you what you asked for, you turned it away while still squawking for proof.

The fact is, if you won’t settle for the proof that’s right in front of you (your dog, your books, etc.) then you will have to settle for evidence of God, because God isn’t going to force you to believe in Him, which is what you’re asking for. That isn’t why you were created. You were created to evolve spiritually through the lessons and faith you acquire in this life. As soon as you see God in such a way that you cannot doubt, all spiritual growth stops.

How is my dog or a stack of books proof of God's existence?

Are you saying that I deserved to be insulted because I did not accept your "proof?"

This is all speculation:

That isn’t why you were created. You were created to evolve spiritually through the lessons and faith you acquire in this life.

Really? I think you said something you don't mean here:

As soon as you see God in such a way that you cannot doubt, all spiritual growth stops.

Egor 02-04-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Irreligious wrote (Post 658206)
Because it's bullshit.

Out of curiosity, Irreligious, what's up with your avatar? Is that you with a dew rag on, a basketball in hand, with the projects as a background? Do you see that as some kind of nobility or something?

ILOVEJESUS 02-04-2012 12:08 PM

OOOOOOOh I tastes a smackdown a comin.

Irreligious 02-04-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658226)
Out of curiosity, Irreligious, what's up with your avatar? Is that you with a dew rag on, a basketball in hand, with the projects as a background? Do you see that as some kind of nobility or something?

No, that's not me in my avatar. It's just a young, black man wearing a "do-rag," so called because it protects his "hair-do." And, yes, in the photo, he is carrying a basketball, because he had just finished playing a game of one-on-one with a friend (who happened to be my nephew) before the photograph was taken. Those are not the projects in the background, but a privately-owned apartment complex where I grew up.

Do you see something in the photograph worthy of mocking?

West491 02-04-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658224)

Because when I gave you what you asked for, you turned it away while still squawking for proof..

Since your proof fails to convince just one of us, can we agree that the proof you offer is pretty sucky? If yes, then can you offer some more convincing evidence?

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658224)
As soon as you see God in such a way that you cannot doubt, all spiritual growth stops.

So you do admit that you have some doubt that a god exists? If so, then why is it so seemingly difficult for you to comprehend where we're coming from? We doubt just like you do when it comes to the existence of a god, just (typically) to a much higher degree.

Egor 02-04-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658225)
Are you saying that I deserved to be insulted because I did not accept your "proof?"

If you can’t take the heat…
Besides, it wasn’t my proof; it was the proof you asked for. You’ve simply changed your mind once presented with it.
Quote:

Irreligious wrote (Post 658232)
No, that's not me in my avatar. It's just a young, black man wearing a "do-rag," so called because it protects his "hair-do." And, yes, in the photo, he is carrying a basketball, because he had just finished playing a game of one-on-one with a friend (who happened to be my nephew) before the photograph was taken. Those are not the projects in the background, but a privately-owned apartment complex where I grew up.

Quote:

Irreligious wrote (Post 658232)
Do you see something in the photograph worthy of mocking?

No. I don’t see anything worth commenting on at all.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658242)
If you can’t take the heat…

In my experience, theists always resort to personal insults when they have no actual proof.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658242)
Besides, it wasn’t my proof; it was the proof you asked for. You’ve simply changed your mind once presented with it

Your "proof" wasn't proof. Looking around me at dogs and books does not prove God.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658242)

Then why did you?

Irreligious 02-04-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658242)

Good. Now what's a god?

Egor 02-04-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

West491 wrote (Post 658239)
Since your proof fails to convince just one of us, can we agree that the proof you offer is pretty sucky? If yes, then can you offer some more convincing evidence?

What’s sucky about it? You are looking for God, aren’t you? Or are you looking for something else? Perhaps an ever-shifting concept of God?
Quote:

So you do admit that you have some doubt that a god exists? If so, then why is it so seemingly difficult for you to comprehend where we're coming from? We doubt just like you do when it comes to the existence of a god, just (typically) to a much higher degree.

I don’t know God exists; I believe God exists. But my belief has become so solidified over the years that my spiritual growth is coming to an end in this life. In other words, I don’t think I can approach God much more from this physical dimension.
That’s why now I’m doing the work I was designed to do. For me, it’s not so much about growth as it is about productivity.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658250)
I don’t know God exists; I believe God exists.

:rolleyes:

Irreligious 02-04-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658250)
What’s sucky about it? You are looking for God, aren’t you? Or are you looking for something else? Perhaps an ever-shifting concept of God?

I don’t know God exists; I believe God exists. But my belief has become so solidified over the years that my spiritual growth is coming to an end in this life. In other words, I don’t think I can approach God much more from this physical dimension.
That’s why now I’m doing the work I was designed to do. For me, it’s not so much about growth as it is about productivity.

What's a god?

Smellyoldgit 02-04-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658250)
I believe God exists. But my belief has become so solidified over the years

:lol: E-Bore's boner for jeebus! :vomit:

Egor 02-04-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658244)
In my experience, theists always resort to personal insults when they have no actual proof.

If you feel insulted, what am I supposed to do about that? Do you want me to say I'm sorry? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have implied that you were insane. I shouldn't have implied that you were a stereotype.

Quote:

Your "proof" wasn't proof. Looking around me at dogs and books does not prove God.

Sure it does. Just think about it. Of course, you're going to have to assume the existence of God for the sake of argument. If you assume God exists for the sake of argument, then what must God be like? If you really start to think about things, you will find that you can posit the existence of God is such a way that He becomes the necessary inference to the best explanation for things--all things.

I do wonder what makes you think you’re going to understand God or come to believe in His existence without getting a little mystical. You have to be able to be a little bit mystical.

orangeitis 02-04-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote

You have given nothing that can be called proof by a reasonable, skeptical person, Egor. And even if you did, you're not even bothering to explain your proof.

You're not thinking. You think that whatever is in front of anyone is "proof of God" when it in itself actually is not. There is no evidence that a divine entity made anything merely because of the existence of whatever it is.

You're asserting claims, then asserting that everything is proof of these claims, and you have zero rhyme or reason for any of this. And to make it worse, you're still making claims that you're not providing evidence for.

Again, you want to prove a point to us, you're doing a terrible job. Try to do better. We aren't at fault for not understanding you, because you're making unintelligible statements. It is on you to provide better evidence of your claims. And if you're truly wanting to get through to us, rather than make enemies and throw insults at us, you will make more of an effort for your case.

We can not make ourselves any clearer.

Edit: No one must assume anything exists for another to prove something. That's not how the universe works. You've convinced yourself to pre-assume things, and that's find for you, but if you wish to make a point to anyone else, you must prove your points through demonstrable means.

Brick 02-04-2012 02:42 PM

For believers, the world is full of magical mysteries.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658254)
If you feel insulted, what am I supposed to do about that? Do you want me to say I'm sorry? I'm sorry. I shouldn't have implied that you were insane. I shouldn't have implied that you were a stereotype.

Egor, rest assured it wasn't crushed feelings that made me point that out. It's because those who use this technique in an argument are, 99% of the time, trying to direct attention away from some other point.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658254)
Sure it does. Just think about it. Of course, you're going to have to assume the existence of God for the sake of argument. If you assume God exists for the sake of argument, then what must God be like? If you really start to think about things, you will find that you can posit the existence of God is such a way that He becomes the necessary inference to the best explanation for things--all things.[/font][/size]

I do wonder what makes you think you’re going to understand God or come to believe in His existence without getting a little mystical. You have to be able to be a little bit mystical.

I seems circular to have to assume that God exists in order for the "proof" that God exists to work.

Smellyoldgit 02-04-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

The Fuckwit wrote
Sure it does. Just think about it. Of course, you're going to have to assume the existence of God for the sake of argument. If you assume God exists for the sake of argument, then what must God be like? If you really start to think about things, you will find that you can posit the existence of God is such a way that He becomes the necessary inference to the best explanation for things--all things.

:lol: That must be the most brilliant explanation that any wanker dingbat has spewed to date :lol: Assume god exists, make up whatever shit you need to explain anything you want and you need to be a fucking flute-headed, delusional jerk to make it happen! :lol:
This cunt goes from strength to strength on the ridiculous scale!

orangeitis 02-04-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658257)
I seems circular to have to assume that God exists in order for the "proof" that God exists to work.

It is circular reasoning he is using. He's also using a lot of other logical fallacies theists commonly argue with.

Irreligious 02-04-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658254)

What's a god, Egor?

Egor 02-04-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 658255)
And if you're truly wanting to get through to us, rather than make enemies and throw insults at us,

Oh my. You are new aren't you. In this forum--we communicate in insults. Or have you missed the moderator's behavior?

Now, as for God, this is the definition I work from:

God is the monistic entity of fundamental consciousness.

He has created the universe from his substance. You might say the universe is God's physical body.

Of course, I believe there is more to God, and we discover that through the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as we are transformed into the substance of Christ through our faith in Christ. But that's of no concern to you. That's for believers.

West491 02-04-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658250)
What’s sucky about it? .

I thought I made it quite clear what's sucky about it. Proof that fails to convince is useless. You may as well toss it and start from the drawing board.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658250)
Perhaps an ever-shifting concept of God.

Egor, your religion is an offspring of older religions. The similarities of modern-day Chrisitianity with more antiquated religions which were predominant around the Mediterranean Sea will literally smack you in the face. Your religion is not novel by any means.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658250)

SKEPTIC'S TRANSLATION:

"Over many years of this doctrine being beat into my head, it has finally seeped through to the very nerves of my brain. You see, it was hard at first due to the fact that there's no evidence, but I was willing to be intellectually dishonest and I have pledged to abandon all reason and skepticism at the promise of being granted eternal paradise with a being who rewards blind faith, poor decision-making, and accidental belief by location of birth."

Stargazer 02-04-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 658260)
It is circular reasoning he is using. He's also using a lot of other logical fallacies theists commonly argue with.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658260)

The code word for circular reasoning must be "mystical."

Brick 02-04-2012 02:53 PM

Poe's Law

It is impossible to make a parody of religious belief which is more insane than what they already believe.

Quote:

Poe's law states:
Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of fundamentalism that someone won't mistake for the real thing.[2]
The core of Poe's law is that a parody of something is by nature extreme. That makes it impossible to differentiate from sincere extremism.

A corollary of Poe's law is the reverse phenomenon: legitimate fundamentalist beliefs being mistaken for a parody of that belief.[2]

A further corollary, the Poe Paradox, results from suspicion of the first corollary. The paradox is that any new person or idea sufficiently extreme to be accepted by the extremist group risks being rejected as a parody or parodist.

Smellyoldgit 02-04-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658262)

:lol: So, god = will & self awareness that existed before the universe, didn’t create himself, is himself, is only himself and he made everything.

You do realise why most people here think you’re a stupid thick cunt?

orangeitis 02-04-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658262)
Oh my. You are new aren't you. In this forum--we communicate in insults. Or have you missed the moderator's behavior?

Oh well? Insulting won't get you anywhere in a debate. It's like saying "im rite ur rong so ha". Though to address the other half of your post, I'm glad you actually took steps to define your god. A reasonable debate is starting.

dogpet 02-04-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658250)
I don’t know God exists; I believe God exists.

Finally accepting I would never play football for Rangers & Scotland was a disappointment you will never experience. You will delude yourself until death, because you failed to choose a dream that is possible. I was 14.

Irreligious 02-04-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658262)

So, this god of which you speak is not real, but imaginary?

Quote:

Egor wrote
He has created the universe from his substance. You might say the universe is God's physical body.

The universe is made up of physical matter. You just implied that this alleged god of which you speak is not physical.

Quote:

Egor wrote
Of course, I believe there is more to God, and we discover that through the life and teachings of Jesus Christ as we are transformed into the substance of Christ through our faith in Christ. But that's of no concern to you. That's for believers.

If this incomprehensible claim of yours is for believers, why are you bothering us with it?

ILOVEJESUS 02-04-2012 03:14 PM

Egor, can you get god on here to stick up for himself for once? He seems like a fucking coward having all his followers doing his duty ( not very well either), for him.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

ILOVEJESUS wrote (Post 658272)
Egor, can you get god on here to stick up for himself for once? He seems like a fucking coward having all his followers doing his duty ( not very well either), for him.

ILJ, I'm not sure God can type.......

Egor 02-04-2012 03:24 PM

Stargazer, I gave you everything you asked for. But that wasn't good enough. Why don't you just admit you want to be an atheist? Why do you need someone to prove God to you, when you won't even state what God is so that an attempt can be made to prove God to you.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658275)
Stargazer, I gave you everything you asked for. But that wasn't good enough. Why don't you just admit you want to be an atheist? Why do you need someone to prove God to you, when you won't even state what God is so that an attempt can be made to prove God to you.

Of course I want to be an atheist. That was never in question. But if you come onto this forum and assert that there is a God, boy, then you better prove it.

How can I state what God is if I don't think there is a God?

Oh, OK. I CAN do that.

God is nothing.

:P

orangeitis 02-04-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658275)
Why don't you just admit you want to be an atheist?

You're saying that again? Why can't you provide better arguments on your behalf?

dogpet 02-04-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658275)
Why do you need someone to prove God to you, when you won't even state what God is so that an attempt can be made to prove God to you.

God is a huge disembodied hand in the sky throwing sweeties. Prove it.

Irreligious 02-04-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658275)

You gave her nothing, and now you're demanding that she define your beliefs for you.

Why don't you just admit that you have a belief for which you possess no evidence, but you reserve the right to impose it on others anyway?

psychodiva 02-04-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658254)

If you really start to think about things, you will find that you can posit the existence of God is such a way that He becomes the necessary inference to the best explanation for things--all things.

close your eyes, think really really hard and click you heels together three times repeating 'there's nothing like god, there's nothing like god, there's nothing like god...'

or maybe you could clap your hands three times and say ' I believe in goid' and 'he' will appear

both of these methods are as much use as praying :\

ILOVEJESUS 02-04-2012 04:03 PM

God swings between my legs. On a hot day his hair is matted with strain and thoughts of pro creation. Sometimes god is agitated by carnal desire and the such, and stiffens his resolve to spread the essence of his glory. I like god, and sometimes offer him a helping hand in sowing the seed of his thoughts.

psychodiva 02-04-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 658268)
Oh well? Insulting won't get you anywhere in a debate. It's like saying "im rite ur rong so ha". Though to address the other half of your post, I'm glad you actually took steps to define your god. A reasonable debate is starting.

I dunno- a well-timed 'fuck off you old wanker' works quite well :) of course in a REAL debate- such as Egor is never likely to experience - \i would never do such a thing, however - slime like ego need abusing in order to bring them back to reality - or such reality as they are capable of comprehending- which is generally of the level of pond-scum

Stargazer 02-04-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Irreligious wrote (Post 658283)
You gave her nothing, and now you're demanding that she define your beliefs for you.

Why don't you just admit that you have a belief for which you possess no evidence, but you reserve the right to impose it on others anyway?

Besides, how can I define his beliefs when they don't make any sense?

Smellyoldgit 02-04-2012 04:31 PM

Any level of debate with fools like E-Bore is a complete waste of time. He is impervious to reason, devoid of logic, looks at the world through jeebus eyes and his lies render him totally unworthy of anything resembling respect. That only leaves ignoring or mocking the poor deluded fool. He'll soon get bored and sulk back to his blog for another dose of crying, whining and writing to himself.

Sol 02-04-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Sol wrote (Post 658207)
Also, and thank you for your concern, but if hell should turn out to be real. All I can say is, I am going to be in some marvellous company. :)

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658224)
No you won’t. You’ll be alone.

Yes I know, I'm aware of the type of delusion you suffer from and your particular brand of kool-aid.
So you managed to miss the irony. hmmm
You'll be one of those less well-educated theist types then...

Tell me, do you have any paranoia to go with your delusion ?
You know the type of thing. perhaps you think a small group of people are attacking your fantasies or illusions. ?
Perhaps you have made up a sweeping generalisation as a description for this group ?
Do you feel singled out for persecution ?

Tell me, what was your relationship like with your mother, was your father missing much of the time ?

When you touch yourself do you feel aroused, are you overly fond of sheep?

Just trying to help a fellow human who appears to be in distress :angel:

orangeitis 02-04-2012 04:56 PM

I think we all need to get back on topic.
Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658053)

I am right about that, aren't I?

Egor is asserting that "we" wouldn't accept fact of an alien presence of life on another planet. He probably thinks this way because we don't buy into irrational faiths like his.

If there was demonstrable, peer-reviewed evidence for the existence of an alien life, we would accept it. Besides, there's still only a possibility... nothing's been confirmed yet, and probably won't be fore a long while yet.

Though I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of theists will ostracize aliens on the grounds that they perceive them to be demons or similar beings. Other theists might apostatize their faith upon humanity's discovery. This is all speculation of course, but it seems likely given the sanity of some theists.

Stargazer 02-04-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658224)

You're not going to fall for this, are you?

Stargazer 02-04-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 658304)
I think we all need to get back on topic.Egor is asserting that "we" wouldn't accept fact of an alien presence of life on another planet. He probably thinks this way because we don't buy into irrational faiths like his.

If there was demonstrable, peer-reviewed evidence for the existence of an alien life, we would accept it. Besides, there's still only a possibility... nothing's been confirmed yet, and probably won't be fore a long while yet.

Though I'd be willing to bet that a good chunk of theists will ostracize aliens on the grounds that they perceive them to be demons or similar beings. Other theists might apostatize their faith upon humanity's discovery. This is all speculation of course, but it seems likely given the sanity of some theists.

Egor probably wanted someone to say, "If proof can be provided for the existence of aliens, I will believe in them, same thing for God." Then, using this as a tacit "promise," he would then cite "proof" along the lines of:

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658304)
. . .proof that’s right in front of you (your dog, your books, etc.)

Then, he would accuse said atheist (who would dispute that this is proof) of reneging on the promise to believe once provided with proof.

Don't fall into the trap.......