Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   You're not going to fall for this, are you? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16845)

Stargazer 02-07-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658697)
Ah, so you want God to rape you. Or at least rape your mind. You want him to directly prove Himself to you so you have no choice but to know He’s your master and you are his creature.

Aside from the rape metaphor intended to put me in my place as a female, this statement is an avoidance of the fact that no evidence of God's existence has yet been presented. With the evidence we have now, God is no more than a fictional character or an imaginary friend.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
When I was nine, right about the age in which you say you became an atheist ironically, I was walking alone in a field in Escondido, California, and I looked to the sky for some reason, and I had this overwhelming sense of God. I don’t know how to explain it, but I understand now that it would have been called a religious ecstasy. And I had a miserable life at that time, but the glory and the desire I felt. It was so good; nothing has ever compared to it. Nothing at all. It’s funny, I can still remember it so clearly.

Vague presentation of the Argument From Design referred to previously multiple times.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
Because of that, I have followed God and sought Him and it has worked. I talk to God all the time, and He talks to me. But he never forced me to believe in him. That experience is evidence of nothing. If we were forced to know He exists, then we would become his automatons. And that is not what He’s looking for. Once you know God exists, you can’t unknow it. It’s like seeing your naked grandmother; you just can’t escape the knowledge. Maybe it’s God’s sense of humor: Because we believe first and then we get the proof. I realize Moses got a burning bush, and the Apostles got the miracles of Jesus, but they all believed in God already. God could rape our minds. But a rapist never gets a lover does he? He only gets an object.

All this talk of rape makes me concerned about your wife.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
So, even miracles won’t convince you? Tim Tebow, if he’s winning, and if he’s praying to win, isn’t that the proof you all are seeking? Of course not. Miracles prove nothing. They never have. That’s why the miracles of Jesus also have symbolic meaning, because they only work for those who physically see them, and then not for most of them either. Miracles are very weak proof. Every psychotic patient I have (sorry, but patient is the appropriate term) believes in magic. Every one of them sees things that aren’t there. Miracles are useless proof. I could tell you about the miracles in my life, but why bother?

Thanks for sparing us that.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
So, miracles won’t convince you; pictures won’t convince you.

You mean pictures of my dog and books? Sorry, no.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
All your religious studies have not convinced you.

True. Obviously.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
Another nurse at work said she was praying about something and she asked for a sign. Then she described a sign that came almost immediately after. Unfortunately I tend to dump everything from work when I get home so I don’t remember the particulars, but I remember saying, OMG that’s amazing! And she was like, “But I’m not quite sure…”

It was all in her mind. Really.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
That ain’t ever going to happen. But don’t act so indignant. You don’t have concrete proof of anything, not really. We believe everything we think we know.

Yes, but it all depends very much what the belief is based upon.

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
And not that you need it, but may I offer one little bit of advice? Stop identifying with other atheists. You said, “Just give us proof…” There’s nothing to be had by being part of a “group.” Not when it comes to whether or not God exists.

I am part of a group of people who express ideas on this forum. Many of them are atheists, and all are people worth knowing. I do not stand alone on the issue discussed here in this thread, and I welcome everyone's input. I am not in any mental anguish over whether God exists. I simply do not believe. However, I will ask anyone who asserts the existence of God to offer proof (of the type above) of that assertion before passing judgement upon me or other atheists for not believing.

Stargazer 02-07-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Irreligious wrote (Post 658702)
She's also not asserting anything. Nor is she attempting to save you from an alleged hell.

She entered this forum an atheist, a position, it appears, that she came to on her own.

Seriously, Egor, this kind of transparently dishonest engagement is not likely to win Stargazer over to Veridicanism or whatever you're trying to sell here. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Stargazer will tell me.

You're not wrong.

orangeitis 02-07-2012 05:54 AM

Quote:

Egor wrote (Post 658696)
I respect your atheism, Stargazer. All I ask is that you keep an open mind. I may be able to show you something in the future that will change your way of thinking.

I contest that she is already open-minded. Open-mindedness does not in no way equate to gullibility to faith or the willingness to believe whatever feels good. Open-mindedness refers to one accepting facts that are presented.

You offer no facts for your beliefs, Egor. That's why she's not gonna believe you.

Stargazer 02-07-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

To Stargazer, Egor wrote (Post 658696)
All I ask is that you keep an open mind.

Quote:

In response, Stargazer wrote (Post 658696)
Just so long as you do the same.

Quote:

Egor also wrote (Post 658696)
I respect your atheism, Stargazer.

Quote:

In his profile, Egor wrote (Post 658696)
I hate atheism. I hate what it's done to our society, and I hate what it does to people. I want to stop it, if I can.

Egor, I'm afraid I must ask you to reconcile the above.

Smellyoldgit 02-07-2012 06:56 AM

How does two-faced, lying hypocritical shitstain sound?

Eternal 02-07-2012 06:57 AM

Accurate.

Sol 02-07-2012 07:42 AM

Seeing as Fairy Tinkerbell was good enough to share their fantasies, I thought it only fair that a response be given in kind.
Unfortunately, as part of the poverty stricken group that Fairy Nuff seems to despise and not being able to afford a really good snazzy response. I thought it might be an idea to just recap on Fairy liquids religion and, perhaps, have a wander through its wonderland of fantasy and fabrication.

So we have:
  • God, who is a man, but isn't really real...
  • God is the "stuff" what is around you, except it isn't at the moment, but was once. (or vicky vercky)
  • Prior to this state, God was not what he is, but rather, what he was before he wasn't what he is now.
God defined - check
  • Jesus is what you can become.
  • Not to be confused with the real Jesus, who didn't exist previously, BUT, had simply become Jesus after becoming what he wasn't before then.
  • Being your own personal Jesus (or an ethereal simulacra thereof) IS NOT to be confused with God
  • Jesus is real but does not exist. Whereas, God exists but is not real.
Jesus defined - check

Now, the spiritual or religious tenets are called "The Veridian Mind Meld" this comes from a poor understanding of pig-latin and means cobbled together.
This seems to entail bits and pieces of other religions and spiritual ideas clumped together using spit and kleenex...Baha'i, Hundu, Buddhism,wiccyup etc.
So, it does not appear to be very original, but it does appear to be pretty exclusive.

Religion - check

How about that exclusivity ? We already know that Fairy Cakes is a bit of an anti. From the posts (I like to like to think of them as the dichotomy of the necessary and the contingent, tee hee) we can discern...
anti-Poor
anti- Woman
anti-race
anti-abortion
anti-reason
anti-freedom
anti-intellect
So it seems to have all the hallmarks of a top-notch religion. I therefore commend it to the house.

I also detect a delusional disorder (grandiose type) which again lends to it a certain amount of religious credibility.

This last part of course has no evidential base as I am not a head quack. however I have given Fairy Lights a damn good looking at and, in laymans terms....he's, has mad as a box of fuckin' frogs.

Anywhere near do you think ?

Stargazer 02-07-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Sol wrote (Post 658793)
Seeing as Fairy Tinkerbell was good enough to share their fantasies, I thought it only fair that a response be given in kind.
Unfortunately, as part of the poverty stricken group that Fairy Nuff seems to despise and not being able to afford a really good snazzy response. I thought it might be an idea to just recap on Fairy liquids religion and, perhaps, have a wander through its wonderland of fantasy and fabrication.

So we have:
  • God, who is a man, but isn't really real...
  • God is the "stuff" what is around you, except it isn't at the moment, but was once. (or vicky vercky)
  • Prior to this state, God was not what he is, but rather, what he was before he wasn't what he is now.
God defined - check
  • Jesus is what you can become.
  • Not to be confused with the real Jesus, who didn't exist previously, BUT, had simply become Jesus after becoming what he wasn't before then.
  • Being your own personal Jesus (or an ethereal simulacra thereof) IS NOT to be confused with God
  • Jesus is real but does not exist. Whereas, God exists but is not real.
Jesus defined - check

Now, the spiritual or religious tenets are called "The Veridian Mind Meld" this comes from a poor understanding of pig-latin and means cobbled together.
This seems to entail bits and pieces of other religions and spiritual ideas clumped together using spit and kleenex...Baha'i, Hundu, Buddhism,wiccyup etc.
So, it does not appear to be very original, but it does appear to be pretty exclusive.

Religion - check

How about that exclusivity ? We already know that Fairy Cakes is a bit of an anti. From the posts (I like to like to think of them as the dichotomy of the necessary and the contingent, tee hee) we can discern...
anti-Poor
anti- Woman
anti-race
anti-abortion
anti-reason
anti-freedom
anti-intellect
So it seems to have all the hallmarks of a top-notch religion. I therefore commend it to the house.

I also detect a delusional disorder (grandiose type) which again lends to it a certain amount of religious credibility.
This last part of course has no evidential base as I am not a head quack. however I have given Fairy Lights a damn good looking at and, in laymans terms....he's, has mad as a box of fuckin' frogs.

Anywhere near do you think ?

This is a masterpiece. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You have illustrated very well how the previous couple of posts by Egor have made my brain hurt.

Must go get some coffee now.

:thumbsup:

Eternal 02-07-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658794)
This is a masterpiece. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

You have illustrated very well how the previous couple of posts by Egor have made my brain hurt.

Must go get some coffee now.

:thumbsup:

Excellent summary Sol, I may have preferred the pre-edited version, but fantastic all the same.

SG, be careful if your going to a coffee shop for that coffee, your actions may be mistaken by a heathen male, and you may be obliged to have sex with him.

Stargazer 02-07-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Eternal wrote (Post 658808)
Excellent summary Sol, I may have preferred the pre-edited version, but fantastic all the same.

SG, be careful if your going to a coffee shop for that coffee, your actions may be mistaken by a heathen male, and you may be obliged to have sex with him.

Thanks for the warning, but I can take care of myself, never fear. I still have the option to say NO, or even NO WAY.....

:)

:heart:

Eternal 02-07-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658809)
Thanks for the warning, but I can take care of myself, never fear. I still have the option to say NO, or even NO WAY.....

:)

:heart:

Or, if you happen to bump into Ex researching the young heathens, you could go for the third option of a swift foot to the nuts. :)

Stargazer 02-07-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Eternal wrote (Post 658811)
Or, if you happen to bump into Ex researching the young heathens, you could go for the third option of a swift foot to the nuts. :)

Unlikely, I almost never resort to physical violence, unless I'm trying to open one of those "easy-to-open" cheese packages. But that's another story.

Besides, it's what I say that really annoys him. And I always seem to have something to say, unfortunately.

Eternal 02-07-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658813)
Unlikely, I almost never resort to physical violence, unless I'm trying to open one of those "easy-to-open" cheese packages. But that's another story.

Besides, it's what I say that really annoys him. And I always seem to have something to say, unfortunately.

Nothing wrong with that, it is far better than having nothing to say, or just repeating the same thing because you have nothing new to say.

I too always have something to say, unfortunately it is usually complete rubbish, but as my dear pa used to say "its the taking part that counts son, don't beat yourself up about being shit"

Stargazer 02-07-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Eternal wrote (Post 658817)
Nothing wrong with that, it is far better than having nothing to say, or just repeating the same thing because you have nothing new to say.

I too always have something to say, unfortunately it is usually complete rubbish, but as my dear pa used to say "its the taking part that counts son, don't beat yourself up about being shit"

I think your posts reflect otherwise, but, still, your father's saying is unique, if anything......

Eternal 02-07-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 658818)
I think your posts reflect otherwise, but, still, your father's saying is unique, if anything......

My personal favourite was when i showed him my first school report from senior school. He tossed it to one side, folded his hands in his lap, and said "well son, the world will always need shithouse attendants"

It still makes me chuckle even now. :)