Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Hen walks to her eggs and sitting on them! (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17263)

ahoba 01-18-2015 10:11 AM

Hen walks to her eggs and sitting on them!

Does she know that the eggs require that to hatch and get chicks!!

How does she know??

Michael 01-18-2015 02:18 PM

She probably read a book on it.

Or it could be that hens who sit on their eggs tend to hatch a lot more eggs, so they are more likely to have offspring with the same trait than hens that don't sit on their eggs, and eventually that trait spread far enough into the population to become common.

But I'm going with the book idea.

ahoba 01-18-2015 03:05 PM

?????????

Kate 01-18-2015 03:37 PM

http://www.savagechickens.com/images...ratehamlet.jpg

Sinfidel 01-18-2015 04:42 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682009)

How does she know??

Da Gawd o the Gaps tole her ta doit! :rock:

Kate 01-18-2015 04:53 PM

http://www.gallimaufry.org/images_ch...icken_logo.jpg

ghoulslime 01-18-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

How does she know??

Well, she obviously read The Big Hen Handbook by Henrietta Cluckensquawker.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg on your face?

Michael 01-18-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682013)
?????????

Where are you getting confused? I'll try to help you understand it.

ghoulslime 01-18-2015 10:00 PM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682027)

I suspect there may be a few fundamentals of Evolution that ahoba might not quite grasp.

Kinich Ahau 01-18-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

How does she know??

Jesus told her in the sermon on the coop. Dont look it up, it's not in the bible.
Not everything Jesus did made it into the book.

A lot of academics these days think Jesus spent a lot of time feeding the chickens, some even think "the twelve" may have been chickens.

ahoba 01-19-2015 12:27 AM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682027)

You said that 'hens who sit on their eggs tend to hatch a lot more eggs'

How they know that the eggs need incubation to hatch and before how they know that eggs will hach?

Regards,

Michael 01-19-2015 12:50 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682030)

How they know that the eggs need incubation to hatch and before how they know that eggs will hach?

Regards,

How much do you know about evolution, natural selection etc?

I doubt that the hens "know" that an eggs needs incubation. It's likely an instinct that some were born with to cover their eggs for protection etc. This had the bonus effect of incubating the eggs, and so the eggs that were inclined to hatch quicker/better when insulated did so in a more efficient manner, meaning that more chickens were born with those traits. Because there were more of them born than chickens without those traits, they eventually came to be common in the species.

Michael 01-19-2015 12:53 AM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682028)
I suspect there may be a few fundamentals of Evolution that ahoba might not quite grasp.

I suspect this also. In which case let's go all the way back to the beginning with some handy dandy links -

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosit...election.shtml

http://www.khanacademy.org/science/b...ural-selection

ghoulslime 01-19-2015 01:27 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682030)

Regards,

Ahoba, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt for the moment, and assume you are an honest person who is actually seeking knowledge. The answer to your question can be found in a basic study of Evolution. I will try to give you a simplified answer.

The answer to your question lies in the behavior of the predecessors of modern chickens and the consequences of their behavior over long periods of time. Birds / dinosaurs which protected their eggs and babies, had a better chance of producing offspring that lived to reproduce. As the predecessors of modern chickens gradually evolved from poikilotherms to homeotherms, the preconditions for an egg to hatch also changed with the changing organism. Potential mother chickens that did not take care of their eggs properly would simply not have any offspring that lived. Chickens that did take care of their eggs, would have offspring, and pass the traits for nurturing to their offspring.

Does that answer your question? :)

ahoba 01-19-2015 02:18 AM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682031)
How much do you know about evolution, natural selection etc?

I doubt that the hens "know" that an eggs needs incubation. It's likely an instinct that some were born with to cover their eggs for protection etc. This had the bonus effect of incubating the eggs, and so the eggs that were inclined to hatch quicker/better when insulated did so in a more efficient manner, meaning that more chickens were born with those traits. Because there were more of them born than chickens without those traits, they eventually came to be common in the species.

I can summary your answer to be one word “INSTINCT”. Without “instinct” hen will not sit on her eggs. Am I right?

ghoulslime, I am seeking a correct knowledge for sure. I hope you do so.

Michael 01-19-2015 02:57 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682034)
I can summary your answer to be one word “INSTINCT”. Without “instinct” hen will not sit on her eggs. Am I right?

Not in the way I suspect you want it to. What do you think 'instinct' is?

Also - How much do you know about evolution, natural selection etc?

I posted some links earlier, if you need an understanding. If they don't help, I'll try to find something a bit more simple and straightforward.

Sinfidel 01-19-2015 04:04 AM

Quote:

2013 Full Automatic egg incubator 48 eggs used poultry incubator for sale egg hatching machine poultry supplies
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/1...pg_220x220.jpg

You may not have noticed, but as soon as man invented (actually, the idea was probably implanted by god) the egg hatching machine, god stopped directing hens to sit on their eggs.
The downside is that a widespread electricity supply failure will wipe out the chicken species. But, in that event, no doubt the all-knowing god will reactivate the hen sit on eggs command.

Kinich Ahau 01-19-2015 06:00 AM

I'm more interested in why chicken eggs and poo come out of the same hole.

ghoulslime 01-19-2015 06:14 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682034)

ghoulslime, I am seeking a correct knowledge for sure. I hope you do so.

Indeed, I am seeking the truth. I was raised as a Christian. Truth has lead me to a reality-based worldview.

Ahoba, please study a little bit of science before attempting to engage in a debate that you will only end in your humiliation and our entertainment. Instincts are a result of natural selection. Please return to teach us, once you have a basic understanding of scientific theory.

ghoulslime 01-19-2015 06:17 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682042)
I'm more interested in why chicken eggs and poo come out of the same hole.

The same reason a priest's cock and an altar boy's poo do!

Kinich Ahau 01-19-2015 07:07 AM

Francis and I aren't responding to you anymore if you keep responding to my poo-poo questions with poo-poo answers.

dogpet 01-19-2015 07:20 AM

Silly fuckers will sit on pebbles if put in the nest.

Davin 01-19-2015 09:04 AM

Oh... hrm... I wonder where this is heading... because this is like the first time I've seen this kind of thing. /sarcasm

Smellyoldgit 01-19-2015 09:36 AM

http://www.dropshots.com/photos/6322...111/175404.jpg

ahoba 01-19-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682038)
Not in the way I suspect you want it to. What do you think 'instinct' is?

Also - How much do you know about evolution, natural selection etc?

I posted some links earlier, if you need an understanding. If they don't help, I'll try to find something a bit more simple and straightforward.

Michael,
My question is not related to the evolution or natural selection as you think but may be one of the reasons cause them.

You answered ‘I doubt that the hens "know" that an eggs needs incubation. It's likely an instinct that some were born with to cover their eggs for protection etc. This had the bonus effect of incubating the eggs’

The instinct in your answer is very clear. If you have more clarification to avoid any misunderstood please let me know.

Michael 01-19-2015 01:47 PM

Okay. You're starting to throw out some serious red flags here.

I suspect that you intend to argue that "instinct" is some sort of natural programming that must be instructed by a god. That "instinct" made the hen sit on the egg, and instinct must come from some other source.
That is why I asked.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt one more time, but if you continue down that path then fair warning, I will be 100% done with you.

Before you asked "I can summary your answer to be one word “INSTINCT”. Without “instinct” hen will not sit on her eggs. Am I right?"

No. The "instinct" comes from generations beforehand passing on a trait of egg-sitting. Those that sat on their eggs bred more successfully, passing on that trait more and more, until eventually it became a natural action of hens, or "instinct" to do. However, that instinct as we have portrayed it would not have been present in the original hens in the same way it is in the hens of successive generations.

Kinich Ahau 01-19-2015 07:47 PM

Epigenetics is beginning to ask questions about instinct and genetic memory. It is a very exciting field and has opened up many lines of inquiry and potential answers. I suspect we will know exactly how instinct works in coming years.

ahoba 01-19-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682063)
Okay. You're starting to throw out some serious red flags here.

I suspect that you intend to argue that "instinct" is some sort of natural programming that must be instructed by a god. That "instinct" made the hen sit on the egg, and instinct must come from some other source.
That is why I asked.

I will give you the benefit of the doubt one more time, but if you continue down that path then fair warning, I will be 100% done with you.

Before you asked "I can summary your answer to be one word “INSTINCT”. Without “instinct” hen will not sit on her eggs. Am I right?"

No. The "instinct" comes from generations beforehand passing on a trait of egg-sitting. Those that sat on their eggs bred more successfully, passing on that trait more and more, until eventually it became a natural action of hens, or "instinct" to do. However, that instinct as we have portrayed it would not have been present in the original hens in the same way it is in the hens of successive generations.

Michael,
If you say that some origin hens sat on her eggs, you have still not answered my question! Why did some origin hens sit on their eggs? or in general, why did origin hens protect their eggs? what was the feeling link between hens and their eggs?

Is it clear? See my question is not regarding evolution and ....

ghoulslime 01-19-2015 10:48 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682097)
Michael,
If you say that some origin hens sat on her eggs, you have still not answered my question! Why did some origin hens sit on their eggs? or in general, why did origin hens protect their eggs? what was the feeling link between hens and their eggs?

Sweet diaper gravy of the Christ child! Are you intentionally obtuse or are you involuntarily ignorant? :o

Long before chickens were chickens, many of the selective traits required for chicken egg hatching evolved. Animals with no inclination to reproduce, did not reproduce, and did not pass this trait on to their offspring. Later, animals which did not protect their offspring from predators did not pass this trait on to their offspring. Do you follow where this is going yet?

Sooooooo….after a while, most of the animals passing on their genes were those that had an inclination to reproduce and an inclination to protect their offspring.

Please let us know if this makes sense to you, or whether we should just start laughing at you now.

(By the way, it is really cute how he thinks Michael is a soft target for his buffoonery.)

ghoulslime 01-19-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682093)
Epigenetics is beginning to ask questions about instinct and genetic memory. It is a very exciting field and has opened up many lines of inquiry and potential answers. I suspect we will know exactly how instinct works in coming years.

I am not sure what you are saying, but I keep reading it over and over again, and I am really not sure why. ;)

ghoulslime 01-19-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682048)
Francis and I aren't responding to you anymore if you keep responding to my poo-poo questions with poo-poo answers.

Poo poo to you and your hoodoo, you woo woo!

Kinich Ahau 01-19-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682100)
I am not sure what you are saying, but I keep reading it over and over again, and I am really not sure why. ;)

Maybe epigenetics won't describe the way instinct is passed on, you explained that rather well. But the field is investigating the methods that genes use to pass this information to one generation to the next. Is that better?

ghoulslime 01-20-2015 12:12 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682102)
Maybe epigenetics won't describe the way instinct is passed on, you explained that rather well. But the field is investigating the methods that genes use to pass this information to one generation to the next. Is that better?

Uuuuuuh! :mad:

It was a valid point when you first made it. I was being facetious, suggesting that my own behavior was the consequence of instinct.

I am sorry my joke tripped on it's own feet. It's these goddamn eggs that have my feathers ruffled. :(

Silliness aside, we had this conversation a long time ago with Sternwallow. Many of our behaviors are certainly hardwired into our genes. I wish I would dig up the Sternwallow conversation about it.

Damn, I miss him!

Michael 01-20-2015 12:45 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682097)
Michael,

Why did they protect their eggs? Why do you think? Dangers like environmental factors and predators most likely.

Quote:

Maybe, but the answer is still evolution and natural selection.

Kinich Ahau 01-20-2015 02:04 AM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682115)
Uuuuuuh! :mad:

It was a valid point when you first made it. I was being facetious, suggesting that my own behavior was the consequence of instinct.

I am sorry my joke tripped on it's own feet. It's these goddamn eggs that have my feathers ruffled. :(

Silliness aside, we had this conversation a long time ago with Sternwallow. Many of our behaviors are certainly hardwired into our genes. I wish I would dig up the Sternwallow conversation about it.

Damn, I miss him!

Sorry I didn't get it.

I've been reading a few of the debates from a few years ago. I haven't found that thread yet.

Reading the old threads leaves me in awe of Sterny, such a great mind. Missed very much indeed.

ahoba 01-20-2015 04:10 AM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682119)
Why did they protect their eggs? Why do you think? Dangers like environmental factors and predators most likely.

Michael,
Why did origin hens consider eggs valuable and deserved to protect? Answer me please. What is that feeling link between hens and their eggs??
Hens make nests to lay the eggs. It is strange, isn't it?

It seems they follow instruction.

Look:
1- Hens cannot pass instructions to the chicks before hatching! Right?
2- And also, they cannot pass to them before laying through genes for example since hens did not get the instruction yet. The hens will got it after laying. Am I right, ghoulslime?

The two points reject the trait passing. Mean, the question is still not answered!

Michael 01-20-2015 06:13 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682124)
Michael,
Why did origin hens consider eggs valuable and deserved to protect?

Why do you think? Do you find it difficult to think hens would want to protect their potential offspring?

Quote:

Answer me please. What is that feeling link between hens and their eggs??
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you are trying to ask here.

Quote:

No. Why do you find it strange?

Quote:

Look:
2- And also, they cannot pass to them before laying through genes for example since hens did not get the instruction yet. The hens will got it after laying. Am I right, ghoulslime?

The two points reject the trait passing. Mean, the question is still not answered!
Again, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. "They cannot pass to them before laying through genes". I've cut you a lot of slack on your writing because I am assuming english is not your first language, but you'll need to have another crack at that one, it's just a little bit too unstructured for me to make out.

Another thing - since it's becoming increasingly obvious you didn't come here to genuinely seek answers and understanding from us but to push an agenda, you will likely see less patience in our answers here, as none of us will put up with that sort of dishonesty for long.

Kinich Ahau 01-20-2015 06:26 AM

Ahoba, please put us out of our misery, the suspense is killing me.:rolleyes:

Davin 01-20-2015 06:35 AM

Did anyone else read the thread title and think it was a setup for a joke?

ahoba 01-20-2015 06:36 AM

Quote:

Another thing - since it's becoming increasingly obvious you didn't come here to genuinely seek answers and understanding from us but to push an agenda, you will likely see less patience in our answers here, as none of us will put up with that sort of dishonesty for long.
You are wrong. I am trying to get the answer from you but unfortunately you seem either not understand or answer in correct way!!

Do not worry we will soon finish.

You says 'Do you find it difficult to think hens would want to protect their potential offspring?'
Good! You mean that the hens know that eggs will hatch and get chicks!

How do they know? What is the difference between their shit and their eggs?

Kinich Ahau 01-20-2015 06:44 AM

.....yes?.....and?

Smellyoldgit 01-20-2015 11:02 AM

My chickens 'know' to not sit on their eggs.
They're unfertilised and I grab them every morning for my brekkie. :angel:

ILOVEJESUS 01-20-2015 11:22 AM

Ill tell you Ahoba. God tells them to do it.......... every night. Only chickens can understand the true word of God. No other animal. They have all the secrets and all the knowledge. I am with you on this one brother. And curse those French fuckwits for occasionaly using chickens in their cartoons....probably.
So in answer, God, or Jesus....sometimes Mohammed....tell all chickens to sit on their eggs and sometimes to shit on them if it is a bit cold.

Michael 01-20-2015 01:58 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682135)
You are wrong. I am trying to get the answer from you but unfortunately you seem either not understand or answer in correct way!!

You says 'Do you find it difficult to think hens would want to protect their potential offspring?'

Okay. The problem is, though, that it is very atypical behaviour for someone to come in claiming to be genuinely seeking information, ask a question, then tell the person answering they are answering wrong.

What you seem to want is for us to give you a specific pre-determined answer. This is not seeking information. This is seeking an agenda. We get a lot of people using this method here. You are not the first. We have gotten good at spotting it.

As for the difference between a chicken's poop and it's egg - do you know what a cloaca is? Look it up. Birds pass all of their waste products simultaneously, which is why bird shit usually has a viscous quality. Eggs are not bird shit. I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous question.

Kate 01-20-2015 02:24 PM

I used to pass a Chicken Killing Store in the Middle East. Lots of chickens waiting to be pulled off their eggs, have their heads stuffed into a bucket and then get it chopped off. Lots of shiny stainless steel, good attempt to make it seem modern and all, but the buckets were pretty low-tech.

I wonder what happened to those eggs? :\

ghoulslime 01-20-2015 03:47 PM

Quote:

Michael,
Why did origin hens consider eggs valuable and deserved to protect? Answer me please. What is that feeling link between hens and their eggs??

They follow genetic instruction and learned behavioral traits.

Quote:

Look:

The unhatched chicks already possess in their genetic makeup much of what they will be.

Quote:

Nobody has to teach them to be chickens instead of alligators. Some of the behavior of chickens will be genetically acquired. Some of it is learned.

No, ahoba, you are not right. You are sadly ignorant. :(

Ahoba, you are a prime example of how religion can cripple rational thinking and critical thought processes. Go find a basic science book, and educate yourself.

ghoulslime 01-20-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682135)

Ahoba, I already explained it to you in this very thread. It is a shame that you seem to have missed it.

Pray tell! Which came first, the chicken or the goddidit?

Inquiring minds yearn to know! I am sure that you have a much better reason than Evolution. The reason chickens protect their eggs, is that they got really tired of Mohammed smashing them when he fucked them in the ass. Perhaps aliens are sending the chickens mystical communications from Uranus?

ghoulslime 01-20-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Kate wrote (Post 682164)
I used to pass a Chicken Killing Store in the Middle East. Lots of chickens waiting to be pulled off their eggs, have their heads stuffed into a bucket and then get it chopped off. Lots of shiny stainless steel, good attempt to make it seem modern and all, but the buckets were pretty low-tech.

They became Allah's lovely snowflakes, and floated up to heaven, where they were given 72 bottles of virgin olive oil. :)

ghoulslime 01-20-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682157)
As for the difference between a chicken's poop and it's egg - do you know what a cloaca is? Look it up. Birds pass all of their waste products simultaneously, which is why bird shit usually has a viscous quality. Eggs are not bird shit. I'm sorry, but this is a ridiculous question.

It is very possible that Ahoba is actually looking for instructions on how to tell the difference between chicken shit and eggs. His mother is getting impatient with him bringing home buckets of shit all of the time for breakfast.

Duh...hey, moms....me getted a buckets of eggs for breakfast!

ghoulslime 01-20-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

ILOVEJESUS wrote (Post 682149)
Ill tell you Ahoba. God tells them to do it.......... every night. Only chickens can understand the true word of God. No other animal. They have all the secrets and all the knowledge. I am with you on this one brother. And curse those French fuckwits for occasionaly using chickens in their cartoons....probably.
So in answer, God, or Jesus....sometimes Mohammed....tell all chickens to sit on their eggs and sometimes to shit on them if it is a bit cold.

Choke the chickens of those who insult the chicken prophets! :mad:

Kinich Ahau 01-20-2015 09:41 PM

Quote:

Kate wrote (Post 682164)

They probably go to the same place unbaptised catlick babies go. I forget the name of the place, they are always changing it.

ghoulslime 01-20-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682197)
They probably go to the same place unbaptised catlick babies go. I forget the name of the place, they are always changing it.

Well, the official name is in limbo at the moment, waiting for a decision as to whether or not there will be priests there to rape the babies.

Michael 01-21-2015 12:42 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682197)

Quiznos?

Sinfidel 01-21-2015 01:54 AM

Quote:

Michael,

Look:

The answer is simple. Chickens are much more evolved than humans. When a human egg is fertilized, the stupid female carries it around for nine months, at considerable risk and discomfort. OTOH, the much smarter hen simply dumps the egg in her nest, and goes about her business, whilst keeping the eggs warm, or not worrying about that if her human caretakers have an incubator.
Don't you wish you were as evolutionarily advanced as a chicken? All Praise Col. Sanders, PBOH!

Sinfidel 01-21-2015 02:17 AM

I forgot to mention that turtles are even smarter than chickens (and humans). Rather than wasting hours a day sitting on eggs to keep them warm, or carting them around for months, they simply bury them in beach sand, and let the sun keep them warm. The turtle then goes on to enjoy her Caribbean vacation. Don't you wish your wife was that evolved!

Kinich Ahau 01-21-2015 05:18 AM

I looked up quiznos, it's an American restaurant chain, right?

ghoulslime 01-21-2015 06:17 AM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 682225)
I forgot to mention that turtles are even smarter than chickens (and humans). Rather than wasting hours a day sitting on eggs to keep them warm, or carting them around for months, they simply bury them in beach sand, and let the sun keep them warm. The turtle then goes on to enjoy her Caribbean vacation. Don't you wish your wife was that evolved!

Chickens receive their telepathic messages from the god Boreas. Turtles worship Aeos. Dumbass chickens have chosen the wrong god! :)

Michael 01-21-2015 02:41 PM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682230)
I looked up quiznos, it's an American restaurant chain, right?

Yeah, I'm not sure if we have it here, but I used to go there when I lived in Canada.
Their roasted catholic baby subs were superb.

ahoba 01-21-2015 10:05 PM

Think more better please! Make your answer very acceptable and logical!

See, I found a perfect answer for my questions.
1- Origin hens laid eggs without nest. She did not prepare a nest because she did not know the future.
2- After several days, she found that eggs hatched and chicks came out.
3- She was happy.
4- After long time, she felt that she would lay eggs again.
5- She remembered. So, she made a nest for her chicks.
6- She laid eggs in the nest and incubated them until they hatched.
7- She fed her chicks.
8- And so on until the new behavior became innate.
9- By this way, the behavior passes from hens to chicks till now.

I am brilliant, am I? 

Kinich Ahau 01-21-2015 11:54 PM

But it probably did the same thing back when it was a dinosaur.

ahoba 01-22-2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 682274)
But it probably did the same thing back when it was a dinosaur.

No issue! say dinosaur instead of hen .... ( I mean take the concept to think better )
Now, is my scenario correct?

Kinich Ahau 01-22-2015 12:20 AM

Maybe because they lived in a warm place they could just leave the eggs in the beginning but because of climate changes or to adapt to other climates they found they had to keep the eggs warm.

Michael 01-22-2015 12:35 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682273)
Think more better please! Make your answer very acceptable and logical!

See, I found a perfect answer for my questions.
1- Origin hens laid eggs without nest. She did not prepare a nest because she did not know the future.
2- After several days, she found that eggs hatched and chicks came out.
3- She was happy.
4- After long time, she felt that she would lay eggs again.
5- She remembered. So, she made a nest for her chicks.
6- She laid eggs in the nest and incubated them until they hatched.
7- She fed her chicks.
8- And so on until the new behavior became innate.
9- By this way, the behavior passes from hens to chicks till now.

I am brilliant, am I? 

So in your list, hen lays eggs without nest, and it works. Then for some unexplained reason the hen remembered no nest technique working and made a nest anyway, then passed that behaviour on to the next generation, who subsequently passed it on and on etc?

A few problems -
A) in your example, the hen has no reason to build a nest or incubate.
B) behavioural traits like that can be taught and passed on generation to generation (see dolphins use of sea sponge as a bandage for an example), however innate traits - traits that would still be there even if you seperated and isolated a hen from birth - cannot be.

ahoba 01-22-2015 01:09 AM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682279)
So in your list, hen lays eggs without nest, and it works. Then for some unexplained reason the hen remembered no nest technique working and made a nest anyway, then passed that behaviour on to the next generation, who subsequently passed it on and on etc?

A few problems -
A) in your example, the hen has no reason to build a nest or incubate.
B) behavioural traits like that can be taught and passed on generation to generation (see dolphins use of sea sponge as a bandage for an example), however innate traits - traits that would still be there even if you seperated and isolated a hen from birth - cannot be.

Good! Now you are thinking better :thumbsup:. You ask me good questions.
Do same for my question. Go back to your answers and think in same way?Show me a logical scenario.

Michael 01-22-2015 01:56 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682281)
Good! Now you are thinking better :thumbsup:. You ask me good questions.
Do same for my question. Go back to your answers and think in same way?Show me a logical scenario.

Since you apparently think there are problems with my answer, why don't we start with you telling me where you think the problems are?

And since you think my answer is wrong, can you give me an alternative answer to consider?

dogpet 01-22-2015 03:17 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682273)
7- She fed her chicks.

Don't think chickens feed their chicks as such, which points to their ancestors possibly abandoning the eggs to their own devices & the hatchlings being self sufficient.

Davin 01-22-2015 07:09 AM

Why do these theist idiots keep coming here acting like they know more, but then betray that with cliche worn out arguments?

ghoulslime 01-22-2015 07:13 AM

A chicken walks into a bar, and says to the bar tender, "I'd like to buy some peanuts." The bar tender says, "Sorry, we don't sell peanuts." The chicken leaves.

The next day, the chicken walks into the bar, "I want to buy some peanuts." The bar tender replies, "I already told you we don't sell any fucking peanuts!" The chicken leaves.

The next day, the chicken walks into the bar, "I want to buy some peanuts!" The bar tender yells back, "Listen, motherfucker, I told you, we don't sell any goddamn peanuts! If you ask one more time, I’m gonna nail you to the fucking wall!" So the chicken leaves.

The next day, the chicken walks into the bar, "Do you have any nails?" The bar tender says, "Nails? We don't have any nails." The Chicken asks, "Well then, do you have any peanuts?"

:|

Do you think we could get some nails for ahoba?

Kinich Ahau 01-22-2015 07:25 AM

:lol:

Quote:

Davin wrote (Post 682290)
Why do these theist idiots keep coming here acting like they know more, but then betray that with cliche worn out arguments?

Still waiting for copyrighted Ken Ham punchline.

ahoba 01-22-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 682287)
Since you apparently think there are problems with my answer, why don't we start with you telling me where you think the problems are?

And since you think my answer is wrong, can you give me an alternative answer to consider?

See this “It’s likely instinct that some were born with to cover their eggs for protection etc”

instinct?? protection?? like 'building nest'

Good luck ...

Kate 01-22-2015 02:56 PM

Quiznos

Kinich Ahau 01-22-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682299)
See this “It’s likely instinct that some were born with to cover their eggs for protection etc”

instinct?? protection?? like 'building nest'

Good luck ...

Jerry? Is that you?

JerryJohn 01-23-2015 08:19 AM

Nah, it's probably not Jerry. Next round he'll show up as a little old lady atheist I think.

JJ

clambake 01-23-2015 08:48 AM

Quote:

Kate wrote (Post 682300)
(Quiznos spongmonkey youtube link)

LOL I *loved* those commercials! Too bad the food wasn't as entertaining.

ahoba 01-24-2015 11:13 AM

Still I am waiting!
Why did original hens protect the eggs? Of course they did not know they would hatch and got chicks! So for what did they protect them?

Is it a good question? :)

dogpet 01-24-2015 11:35 AM

Okeh you stupid cunt, you're getting boring now.

Both young and old individuals significantly increased defense of the second nest compared to the first nest within a season; this pattern occurred for the defense of both eggs and chicks. Old hens showed significantly greater defense of both eggs and chicks in each of the nests than did young hens. Both young and old hens were significantly more defensive of chicks than eggs in each of two clutches of a season.

ahoba 01-24-2015 12:11 PM

Wait a minute! Why are you angry?!!!
Quote:

Both young and old hens were significantly more defensive of chicks than eggs in each of two clutches of a season
Read carefully next time and think better!

ghoulslime 01-24-2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682337)
Still I am waiting!
Why did original hens protect the eggs? Of course they did not know they would hatch and got chicks! So for what did they protect them?

Is it a good question? :)

It has already been explained to you, dodo bird!

dogpet 01-24-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682339)
Read carefully next time and think better!

Why don't you tell us what you think genius?
You obviously have some powerful protection from actual information, so let us hear from you about the very first chicken?

ghoulslime 01-24-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 682342)
Why don't you tell us what you thing genius?
You obviously have some powerful protection from actual information, so let us hear from you about the very first chicken?

Yeah, ahoba is quite the amazing teacher! So patiently guiding us through our education! :rolleyes:

dogpet 01-24-2015 12:41 PM

Does this chicken look like it sits on fucking eggs!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x_Holotype.jpg

dogpet 01-24-2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682343)
Yeah, ahoba is quite the amazing teacher! So patiently guiding us through our education! :rolleyes:

This thread is making me hungry. Only had a boiled egg & soldiers so far today, so I'm going in the kitchen now to rustle up a huge pile of chicken fajitas. yum yum :)

ghoulslime 01-24-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 682347)
This thread is making me hungry. Only had a boiled egg & soldiers so far today, so I'm going in the kitchen now to rustle up a huge pile of chicken fajitas. yum yum :)

Indeed! I have been getting a craving for Kentucky Fried Chicken. How do chickens know that they should be fried? Does god give them their special spices?

Smellyoldgit 01-24-2015 02:41 PM

God failed to remind one of our stupid cluckers to get the fuck out of the dog's way.
Shredded stone dead in seconds - It'll know next time :(

ahoba 01-24-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682341)
It has already been explained to you, dodo bird!

I hope! Where is it?

ghoulslime 01-25-2015 02:32 AM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682351)
I hope! Where is it?

Right here:

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682033)
Ahoba, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt for the moment, and assume you are an honest person who is actually seeking knowledge. The answer to your question can be found in a basic study of Evolution. I will try to give you a simplified answer.

The answer to your question lies in the behavior of the predecessors of modern chickens and the consequences of their behavior over long periods of time. Birds / dinosaurs which protected their eggs and babies, had a better chance of producing offspring that lived to reproduce. As the predecessors of modern chickens gradually evolved from poikilotherms to homeotherms, the preconditions for an egg to hatch also changed with the changing organism. Potential mother chickens that did not take care of their eggs properly would simply not have any offspring that lived. Chickens that did take care of their eggs, would have offspring, and pass the traits for nurturing to their offspring.

Does that answer your question? :)

At this point in time, it is probably safe to assume that you are not an honest person who is actually seeking knowledge.

Smellyoldgit 01-25-2015 05:25 AM

http://i4.asntown.net/chicken_eggs_meat-tuqn.jpg

ahoba 01-25-2015 06:27 AM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682352)
Right here:

At this point in time, it is probably safe to assume that you are not an honest person who is actually seeking knowledge.

ghoulslime, this is forth time I tell you that I am a serious and I am asking to get the logical answer not to have a fun or to push agenda!

You said that 'Birds / dinosaurs which protected their eggs and babies, had a better chance of producing offspring that lived to reproduce ....
Chickens that did take care of their eggs
'
You do only clear up my queston!
Just add why and how before your saying.

Understood!

Again ....

Hen sits on eggs.
Why?
Simply answer 'because she would like to protect them and so on ....'
WOW!! She expects what will happen in the future! She knows that eggs will hatch ang get chicks!!
OR
She does not know what will happen but she would like only to protect the eggs regardless they will hatch or not!!!

It is clear what excatly I need from my question and do you think that all of you answered my question?!

Smellyoldgit 01-25-2015 09:02 AM

Your question has been answered very clearly by more than one person.
I suspect:
1) Your English may not be good enough to understand some of the bigger words.
2) You may not be intelligent enough to understand the basics of evolutionary mechanisms.
3) You may be a cunt.

Perhaps you could clarify.
I'd go for 3)

clambake 01-25-2015 10:59 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682356)

You guys need a mashup Bradgelina-like name, which is better Kateoldgit or Smellyoldkate? :D

Sinfidel 01-25-2015 11:44 AM

Quote:

The Startling Intelligence of the Common Chicken
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ommon-chicken/

To the atheists here, it has long been obvious that the theologues who wander in couldn't
outsmart a chicken.

Here's further evidence....

Sinfidel 01-25-2015 12:18 PM

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFile...928/460174.jpg

ghoulslime 01-25-2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682349)
God failed to remind one of our stupid cluckers to get the fuck out of the dog's way.
Shredded stone dead in seconds - It'll know next time :(

Dog moves in mysterious ways!

ghoulslime 01-25-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682357)
ghoulslime, this is forth time I tell you that I am a serious and I am asking to get the logical answer not to have a fun or to push agenda!

You said that 'Birds / dinosaurs which protected their eggs and babies, had a better chance of producing offspring that lived to reproduce ....
Chickens that did take care of their eggs
'
You do only clear up my queston!
Just add why and how before your saying.

Understood!

Again ....

Hen sits on eggs.
Why?
WOW!! She expects what will happen in the future! She knows that eggs will hatch ang get chicks!!
OR
She does not know what will happen but she would like only to protect the eggs regardless they will hatch or not!!!

It is clear what excatly I need from my question and do you think that all of you answered my question?!

Very well, ahoba! I will pretend, a while longer, as though you are an honest person with no ulterior agenda. The choice that you present between either one possibility or another possibility, as though they are the only two choices, is called a "false dichotomy". Some hens know that eggs will hatch and there will be chicks; and some hens appear to protect the eggs without any knowledge of what they may become; and some hens engage in both behaviors to varying degrees. These are not necessarily mutually-exclusive behavior patterns.

One of our forum wise people, a learned sage of great lore, a mysterious oracle, one who can summon knowledge with but a single push of the wondrous Google button, has answered this already. He is known by many names, but some people call him Dogpet.

The act of hatching eggs by hens appears to be a combination of instincts as well as learned behavior.

Now...what... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

dogpet 01-25-2015 02:35 PM

ahoba seems a slower learner than any chicken.

Smellyoldgit 01-25-2015 02:42 PM

http://cache3.asset-cache.net/gc/137...o6h9FDRULRc%3D

Kate 01-25-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

clambake wrote (Post 682359)
You guys need a mashup Bradgelina-like name, which is better Kateoldgit or Smellyoldkate? :D

I know where you live :|

ahoba 01-25-2015 04:24 PM

"false dichotomy" :rolleyes:
The choices are extracted from your answers. If I am wrong just say that I am wrong then prove otherwise your silence is appreciated :)

Still waiting and waiting .....

ghoulslime 01-25-2015 05:47 PM

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682367)
"false dichotomy" :rolleyes:
The choices are extracted from your answers. If I am wrong just say that I am wrong then prove otherwise your silence is appreciated :)

Still waiting and waiting .....

This is the last time I will attempt to reach you. You said:

Quote:

ahoba wrote (Post 682357)
Hen sits on eggs.
Why?
OR

You have presented us with a false choice between the first possibility or the second possibility. That is a false dichotomy. I have already explained it here:

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682363)
Some hens know that eggs will hatch and there will be chicks; and some hens appear to protect the eggs without any knowledge of what they may become; and some hens engage in both behaviors to varying degrees. These are not necessarily mutually-exclusive behavior patterns.

I am finished trying to engage you reasonably. Are you a troll or are you really this fucking stupid?

ahoba 01-25-2015 06:13 PM

Do you move to discuss about the choices and forget your stupid answer that is 'Birds / dinosaurs which protected their eggs and babies, had a better chance of producing offspring that lived to reproduce .... Chickens that did take care of their eggs'

stupid answer! Talking about something else!!!!

Look ... You ... Explain to me my question!