Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Separation of Church and State (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   In God We Trust situation (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17338)

RaginCajun 09-24-2015 07:37 AM

In God We Trust situation

I work in law enforcement in La. The boss is planning to put in god we trust on the back of our police vehicles. I can stand up and say what we all know should be said. But....this would would make me a target and my days of doing this career ( 20 yrs) would be seriously be in jeopardy. But, i have a serious problem with a department's religious views being forced on me and the entire community. This may be a huge law suit before it is over. Appreciate support on this, thanks

dogpet 09-24-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

RaginCajun wrote (Post 684900)
I work in law enforcement in La. The boss is planning to put in god we trust on the back of our police vehicles. I can stand up and say what we all know should be said. But....this would would make me a target and my days of doing this career ( 20 yrs) would be seriously be in jeopardy. But, i have a serious problem with a department's religious views being forced on me and the entire community. This may be a huge law suit before it is over. Appreciate support on this, thanks

Hi RajinCajun. Are you sure this isn't a funny little govquip? As in, all others are under suspicion. :o
It's not going to happen, you've got a law against it.

RaginCajun 09-24-2015 11:54 AM

absolutely real.....one of the guys was taking measurements on the back of units the other day and he said it was for those decals.

RaginCajun 09-24-2015 11:58 AM

The boss is simply following suit as other agencies in La and Tx are doing it. Now there is a brand new law suit by ACLU with one of them,,,not sure who, its on the net though

AtomJack 09-24-2015 12:02 PM

These guys are wasting taxpayer dollars better spent on equipment:

A. for putting the signs on
B. having to go through court
C. having to remove them.

Smellyoldgit 09-24-2015 12:48 PM

Aren't you a tad late to complain about this?
Looks like it's been your national motto since 1956 and happily blazened across your wonga.

http://www.awkwardmomentsbible.com/w...ty_sheriff.jpg

I reckon you're fucked and had better get used to it!

Michael 09-24-2015 03:36 PM

Good luck with it, but I fear you might be fighting a losing battle with that one.
Like you said, it will likely make you a target in your workpace speaking up about it, and legally you don't currently have a leg to stand on, since it is your country's motto.

I have heard about - as you mentioned - lawsuits being put in place to remove it as the national motto, and perhaps you would be better served contributing to that, somehow, rather than fighting a losing battle that will just gain you the animosity of those you work with?

It's a shitty sounding situation, and I empathise with you. I would just suggest not making any rash actions without thinking hard about potential ramifications first, but you're likely doing that already anyway.

If nothing else, you can come here and rage about how shitty it is. We'll let you.

AtomJack 09-24-2015 08:12 PM

Reminds me of when I used to have a job (I'm retired); it was called "golden handcuffs"- the point where the employer could do all sorts of crap, but you were at the point where you couldn't just leave, due to being invested in the 401(k) and retirement annuity.

Davin 09-25-2015 06:58 AM

Are they going to stop carrying their guns and stop wearing their vests with all that trust in god?

dogpet 09-25-2015 02:40 PM

I mean, from an accused pov, it's a declaration of bias innit?

Sinfidel 09-25-2015 10:18 PM

Quote:

RaginCajun wrote (Post 684905)
absolutely real.....one of the guys was taking measurements on the back of units the other day and he said it was for those decals.

You could suggest they add "All others must pay cash" to the decals! :lol:

Torysky 09-19-2018 11:00 PM

I'm not sure that is the thing that should be on a police car