Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Evolution: Gender Cannot Be Explained (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14637)

Missionary 07-02-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Single Serving Jack wrote (Post 503314)
So what's the evidence then?

We both have the same identical evidence. You've chosen to dismiss it and explain it away with theories of uncertainty.

Mog 07-02-2008 07:32 AM

Quote:

Missionary wrote (Post 503316)
You're buying onto the delusion. Puffed up little mankind with a big head of knowledge replacing truth with self achievement. Pat yourself on the back.

2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 (NKJV)

9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders,
10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved.
11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie,
12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

You do realize that if Satan chose to create a false religion, he'd make the same claim right?

Irreligious 07-02-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Missionary wrote (Post 503311)
The only threat science produces is to YOU. I could care less if geneticists force birth a blonde Swede from a monkey living in a mars colony. You are the only one in danger here.

Dial it back a notch. Science can be used for good or evil. No one is disputing that. But it is the only method we have for testing reality. We can't do that with the stuff you've been trying to push on this forum and you refuse to acknowledge that, so it pisses you off something fierce.

I don't have to defend science-- admittedly, I am ill-equipped, anyway. But it obviously yields results, or I wouldn't be communicating with you now, certainly not in the amazing way that I am now. I turn on my computer and it works. You can't say that for prayer. Of course, you'll dispute that, but you can never demonstrate that it works or even begin to explain the alleged mechanics of how it's supposed to work.

Single Serving Jack 07-02-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Missionary wrote (Post 503317)
We both have the same identical evidence. You've chosen to dismiss it and explain it away with theories of uncertainty.

Oh I see! That's actually pretty funny.

Philboid Studge 07-02-2008 08:35 AM

Quote:

Mog wrote (Post 503319)
You do realize that if Satan chose to create a false religion, he'd make the same claim right?

Sure, but he was the Prince of Lies. Or anyway that's what Mission's BFF claimed. What if the Bad Guy was such an excellent liar that He got people to believe that the real Good Guy was Satan? Now I don't know who to believe!

Kate 07-02-2008 08:41 AM

http://www.scotlands-enchanting-king...sed-monkey.jpg

Rocketman the Sequel 07-02-2008 08:53 AM

Sigh....

I'm going to do this once and then...knowing full well that it isn't going to work I'll probably try again after when this fucknut pisses me off again.

Number one: Sex makes sense. By having sexual reproduction you potentially double the rate of mutation and thus increase the rate of adaptation. Increasing the rate of adaptation feedback into itself to create more offspring and thereby selects for sexual reproduction.

Asexual reproduction is faster than sexual reproduction.

In situations where there is no extreme environmental pressure, asexual reproduction will produce more offspring, but those offspring will have a lower rate of genetic change than the sexual reproducers.

So when a higher environmental stress level is introduced, one that requires a greater level of genetic change to compensate—then the sexual reproducers can have an advantage.

End of explanation.

It is distinctly possible that an organism can use both sexual and asexual reproduction:

“Some species alternate between the sexual and asexual strategies, an ability known as heterogamy, depending on conditions. For example, the freshwater crustacean Daphnia reproduces by parthenogenesis in the spring to rapidly populate ponds, then switches to sexual reproduction as the intensity of competition and predation increases.”

This from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual_reproduction

Funny how I wronte the first part and lo when I went looking for some support—daphnia shows up on the first page googled.

Amazing.

Now as to your prophecy bit---you know con artists have been doing cold reads as long as there have been fucking palms to read.

Just because your con artists happened to write it down and put the seal of “god” on it –just means that they were very smart con artists—not that the con was real.

I really wish I didn’t get what people like you were all about Miss.

I wish I could chalk you up to some kind of aberration that I can understand. But I do understand you.

You are a prat who resists any movement from the concept of heriarchies. You need the man on top. And when the man on top aint good enough—you need the invisible tripartite man on top.

And it isn’t because of any true perception of divinity. It’s because you need a pablum version of reality to choke down because the real thing is too hard to digest.

It is too much work for you.

It shows daily how far away from the center of reality you actually are. It isn’t about you—so you need the big man in the sky to keep reassuring you that you are good enough, smart enough, special enough—cause ‘he” is on your side.

No reason? Hey god gives you one.

No purpose? Hey god gives you one?

Feeling blue? Take three aspects of the holy holy and call everyone else in the morning to give them the “good news”.

It manages to be infuriating and utterly pathetic at the same time.

And on top of that-you are so utterly smug about your ignorance.

The equivalent of an especially annoying five year old who is competely sure that his dad’s car is actually a transformer.

Or worse, a mentally challenged internet poster who is sure his god is the god.

Where is the fucking burden of your evidence asshole?

You have some questionable coincidences and the word of a bunch of pastoral primatives—and we have our own eyes and reason and a process that purposefully weeds out the deadwood in a perpetual process of renewal and reassessment.

But you can’t even follow your own stated beliefs long enough not to bear false witness about the evidence at hand.

So not only are you ignorant—you are also a pretty poor assed example of what a follower of your god is supposed to be.

And that’s why you are wasting your time here.

Because even if you have managed to fool yourself into thinking you have a valid point—no one else here buys it.

Fucking empty pinatas for christ.

Please!

Single Serving Jack 07-02-2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Missionary wrote (Post 503317)

So... what method do you use to evaluate the evidence? I mean obviously it's not the scientific method of observation, hypothesis, experimentation, etc. What gives you that 100% certainty?

Choobus 07-02-2008 08:59 AM

if you're prepared to simply decide that you are definitely right you can be 100% certain about it.....

Single Serving Jack 07-02-2008 08:59 AM

Quote:

Rocketman the Sequel wrote (Post 503343)
It is distinctly possible that an organism can use both sexual and asexual reproduction:

Strawberry plants! See I KNEW all that book learnin' would pay off some day :D

Tenspace 07-02-2008 09:01 AM

Dear Missionary,

Instead of fisking your last post, I'm going to suggest a fresh start. It is apparent that you do not accept evolutionary theory as the cornerstone of biology, like 99.85% of America's earth and life scientists.(1)

If you want to discuss the validity of evolution, instead of attempting to derail an entire branch of science based on a single unknown, let's do it in another thread. Give me some time to organize my notes, and we can discuss.

(1) religioustolerance.org, Why Biological and Geological Scientists Generally Support an Old Earth, and the Theory of Evolution, and Why Many Conservative Protestants Disagree - B.A. Robinson, 2004, Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance

Riddler 07-02-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Tenspace wrote (Post 503348)
... like 99.85% of America's earth and life scientists.(1)

(1) religioustolerance.org, Why Biological and Geological Scientists Generally Support an Old Earth, and the Theory of Evolution, and Why Many Conservative Protestants Disagree - B.A. Robinson, 2004, Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance

Very interesting, Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Particularly interesting that the Creation myth is largely an American thing. I wonder why.

cf the vast majority of Christian professionals in the UK, who seem to be having none of it. (97% against the seven-day wonder; 80% against Adam & Eve.) Are they not reading the same Bible? You have to wonder if God is whispering different information to them just for a laugh, don't you?

Missionary: what's your take on this? Forgive me if I missed your relevant post, but where do you stand with regard to the above points?

I also eagerly await your own statement on why there are two sexes. Why did God make Adam and Eve, instead of Adam and Steve?

Missionary 07-02-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Mog wrote (Post 503319)

That's exactly what he did with many newer religions centuries after this was written.

Missionary 07-02-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

Irreligious wrote (Post 503322)
Dial it back a notch. Science can be used for good or evil. No one is disputing that. But it is the only method we have for testing reality. We can't do that with the stuff you've been trying to push on this forum and you refuse to acknowledge that, so it pisses you off something fierce.

I don't have to defend science-- admittedly, I am ill-equipped, anyway. But it obviously yields results, or I wouldn't be communicating with you now, certainly not in the amazing way that I am now. I turn on my computer and it works. You can't say that for prayer. Of course, you'll dispute that, but you can never demonstrate that it works or even begin to explain the alleged mechanics of how it's supposed to work.

Think about it...you've got:

fire-wheel-horse
steam engine-combustible engine -plane-jet-rocket
electricity-lamp-telegraph/phone- radio/tv- computer
improvement in medicine
improvement in telescope/microscope
more info than 150 years ago

You really think you've explained away/replaced God?

You're running with a big head of knowledge that may or may not be factual or accurate. You have modern conveniences and some nifty gadgets. You can travel much faster than a horse and buggy. You can watch 500 tv channels. You can knock down the flu in days.

But don't kid yourself. They don't know where the universe or life originated. They think they do, and that's all they're selling...a belief system.

Missionary 07-02-2008 10:56 AM

Quote:

Rocketman the Sequel wrote (Post 503343)
Sigh....

I'm going to do this once and then...knowing full well that it isn't going to work I'll probably try again after when this fucknut pisses me off again.

Number one: Sex makes sense. By having sexual reproduction you potentially double the rate of mutation and thus increase the rate of adaptation. Increasing the rate of adaptation feedback into itself to create more offspring and thereby selects for sexual reproduction.

Asexual reproduction is faster than sexual reproduction.

In situations where there is no extreme environmental pressure, asexual reproduction will produce more offspring, but those offspring will have a lower rate of genetic change than the sexual reproducers.

So when a higher environmental stress level is introduced, one that requires a greater level of genetic change to compensate—then the sexual reproducers can have an advantage.

End of explanation.

“Some species alternate between the sexual and asexual strategies, an ability known as heterogamy, depending on conditions. For example, the freshwater crustacean Daphnia reproduces by parthenogenesis in the spring to rapidly populate ponds, then switches to sexual reproduction as the intensity of competition and predation increases.”

This from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asexual_reproduction

Funny how I wronte the first part and lo when I went looking for some support—daphnia shows up on the first page googled.

Amazing.

Now as to your prophecy bit---you know con artists have been doing cold reads as long as there have been fucking palms to read.

Just because your con artists happened to write it down and put the seal of “god” on it –just means that they were very smart con artists—not that the con was real.

I really wish I didn’t get what people like you were all about Miss.

I wish I could chalk you up to some kind of aberration that I can understand. But I do understand you.

You are a prat who resists any movement from the concept of heriarchies. You need the man on top. And when the man on top aint good enough—you need the invisible tripartite man on top.

And it isn’t because of any true perception of divinity. It’s because you need a pablum version of reality to choke down because the real thing is too hard to digest.

It is too much work for you.

It shows daily how far away from the center of reality you actually are. It isn’t about you—so you need the big man in the sky to keep reassuring you that you are good enough, smart enough, special enough—cause ‘he” is on your side.

No reason? Hey god gives you one.

No purpose? Hey god gives you one?

Feeling blue? Take three aspects of the holy holy and call everyone else in the morning to give them the “good news”.

It manages to be infuriating and utterly pathetic at the same time.

And on top of that-you are so utterly smug about your ignorance.

The equivalent of an especially annoying five year old who is competely sure that his dad’s car is actually a transformer.

Or worse, a mentally challenged internet poster who is sure his god is the god.

Where is the fucking burden of your evidence asshole?

You have some questionable coincidences and the word of a bunch of pastoral primatives—and we have our own eyes and reason and a process that purposefully weeds out the deadwood in a perpetual process of renewal and reassessment.

But you can’t even follow your own stated beliefs long enough not to bear false witness about the evidence at hand.

So not only are you ignorant—you are also a pretty poor assed example of what a follower of your god is supposed to be.

And that’s why you are wasting your time here.

Because even if you have managed to fool yourself into thinking you have a valid point—no one else here buys it.

Fucking empty pinatas for christ.

Please!

Nice display of collected thoughts up top to a typical atheist meltdown and emotional outburst at the bottom. How predictable. The similarities you guys bear to one another is remarkable.

As for your assertions concerning sex. That's really all they are. There just isn't any scientific evidence to support the explanations. So far, they just have speculative opinions and theories. That's pretty much it.

If that's all it takes...just to project an idea that makes sense to you? What the heck do we need the scientific method for? We might as well toss it out and just go with whatever sounds best.