Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Brainstuff (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13281)

Gnosital 07-02-2007 10:46 AM

A decent article with links to the research reviews.

antix 07-02-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Brainstuff wrote
3. The medicalization of sexual orientation. U.S. experiments confirmed that 7 percent to 10 percent of rams are gay. Research suggests brain biology is involved. The advertised application is identification of gay or asexual rams, "thus eliminating their use for general breeding purposes." The feared application is identification of gay male fetuses, leading parents to abort them or alter their orientation through hormone treatment in the womb. Some conservative Christian leaders have already endorsed this idea.

Of course the jeetards get all up in arms with things like cloning claiming that "we shouldn't be tampering with gawds perfect creations" Unless of course gawds perfect creation turns out to be gay, then all of a sudden they know better than the lawd. Fucking hypocrites.

Another brick in the wall 07-02-2007 11:18 AM

#2 isn't really all that new. See Phineas Gage for a case study.

Gnosital 07-02-2007 11:21 AM

Quote:

antixOf course the jeetards get all up in arms with things like cloning claiming that "we shouldn't be tampering with gawds perfect creations" Unless of course gawds perfect creation turns out to be gay, then all of a sudden they know better than the lawd. [b wrote
Fucking hypocrites[/b].

The exact same words went through my mind when I read the article! We must be communicating psychically or something.

antix 07-02-2007 11:26 AM

It must be a function of our extra-super-evolved atheist brains :cheers:

Gnosital 07-02-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Another brick in the wall wrote
#2 isn't really all that new. See Phineas Gage for a case study.

Item #2 is exceedingly different from the Gage story, and at least one researcher (Malcolm MacMillan ) debates that Gage's injury actually caused the extent of behavioral change that was attributed to it. Firstly, the damage to Gage was far more extensive than the circumscribed area of the ventromedial prefrontal that is mentioned in the cited study. Secondly, there were no objective records of Gage's behavior before the accident, and no objective accounting of his behavior after the accident, until Harlow's report published after Gage's death. Also, Gage's injury involved the left frontal lobe nearly in its entirety, while the cited research attributes a very specific and objectively measured function to a very specific area of the RIGHT hemisphere. So, actually, the subjective historical account of poor Phineas Gage that is repeated quite sloppily in every intro psych text is not even remotely as scientifically or medically valuable as this study.

Gnosital 07-02-2007 11:49 AM

Quote:

antix wrote
It must be a function of our extra-super-evolved atheist brains :cheers:

Indeed, and may I add that you are DA MAN, Mr ix!

Another brick in the wall 07-02-2007 11:52 AM

Well Gnosital, you certainly put my balls through a salad shooter.

All I know about the brain is what I learned in Psych 101 at Bovine University. :)

Gnosital 07-02-2007 11:54 AM

Sorry for all the Slate articles, but I was dorking around at work today and found this stuff and I'm all a twitter.

God Is in the Dendrites:
Can "neurotheology" bridge the gap between religion and science?
By George Johnson

Quote:

For those not prone to seizures, Michael Persinger of Laurentian University promises to induce similar symptoms by scrambling the brain with magnetic fields. After donning a helmet wired with electromagnets, some subjects reported experiences they described as mystical, or at least misty. When Richard Dawkins, author of The God Delusion, put on the hood, it only made him a little dizzy. Persinger was quick to note that Dawkins had scored way below average on a psychological questionnaire measuring temporal lobe sensitivity—hints of a neurobiological correlate for atheism.

nkb 07-02-2007 11:54 AM

Quote:

All I know about the brain is what I learned in Psych 101 at Bovine University. :)

I think I know a professor at that school.

Gnosital 07-02-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Well Gnosital, you certainly put my balls through a salad shooter.

So you should be glad I gave you some free college edumakashun about the brain, then, right? While I can certainly understand you being sensitive where your balls are concerned, let me assure you, I had absolutely no intentions of putting them into anything remotely related to salad.

I mean, I sometimes like a little turkey in my salad, but not so much the human testicles.

Gnosital 07-02-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

nkb wrote
Quote:

I think I know a professor at that school.

I think I teach there some days.

Another brick in the wall 07-02-2007 12:05 PM

I remember when we were talking about Freud. My Psych 101 professor (TA actually I think) always mispronounced "Viennese" as "Vietnamese." I just about lost it when she said that most of Freud's patients were "upper-class Vietnamese women." I came to her at office hours to tell her she was mispronouncing it so she wouldn't embarrass herself, and then the next day when the word comes up, she leaned forward at the podium and shouted "VIETNANESE!" I wanted to yell out "you still got it wrong you dumb bitch" but I managed to restrain myself.

Gnosital 07-02-2007 05:11 PM

Quote:

I remember when we were talking about Freud. My Psych 101 professor (TA actually I think) always mispronounced "Viennese" as "Vietnamese." I just about lost it when she said that most of Freud's patients were "upper-class Vietnamese women." I came to her at office hours to tell her she was mispronouncing it so she wouldn't embarrass herself, and then the next day when the word comes up, she leaned forward at the podium and shouted "VIETNANESE!" I wanted to yell out "you still got it wrong you dumb bitch" but I managed to restrain myself.

I take it this person didn't have an accent from speaking English as a second language? Because if not, then that is truly sad.

Someone who taught at my college (but has since retired, thank Darwin!) always pronounced Piaget as "pie a Get" with the hard g. What's worse, I overheard another person (who is unfortunately still there) explaining the action potential and referring to the "negative potassium ions" that leave the cell.

It's no wonder people think psychology is a fluff course.