Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Atheist vs Theist (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Why Evolution is a Myth (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6737)

Micah12 03-01-2005 04:23 PM

We need to start with the first big myth with Evolution: The Big Bang.

Long ago, in the universe, there was nothing (I'd like to know where the universe came from). And over a long
period of time the dirt (that came from nothing) compressed itself into a dot, smaller than a period at the end of this sentence (where did the gravity come from to compress that dirt?). Then after a long period of time the dot started to spin. And it spinned so fast that it exploded and here we are today. Did you know that if something is spinning and something breaks off from it that that piece will be spinning in the same direction? So, if your little dot was spinning and then exploded, why are some of the galaxies spinning backwards?

I have a few questions for you.

1) Where did the universe come from?
2) Where did the dirt come from?
3) Where did the force to compress that dot come from?
4) Why are some of the galaxies spinning backwards?

ocmpoma 03-01-2005 04:31 PM

Go get this and read it. All of it. If it's too technical, post questions here. We will explain.

Little Earth Stamper 03-02-2005 06:13 AM

Quote:

Micah12 wrote

Long ago, in the universe, there was nothing (I'd like to know where the universe came from). And over a long
period of time the dirt (that came from nothing) compressed itself into a dot, smaller than a period at the end of this sentence (where did the gravity come from to compress that dirt?). Then after a long period of time the dot started to spin. And it spinned so fast that it exploded and here we are today.

I dunno, That story seems as poetic and convincing as any of the others I've heard about where we come from.

ocmpoma 03-02-2005 06:37 AM

Too bad poetry isn't quantifiably verifiable.

Dayspring 03-02-2005 08:37 AM

Quote:

Little Earth Stamper wrote
Quote:

Micah12 wrote

period of time the dirt (that came from nothing) compressed itself into a dot, smaller than a period at the end of this sentence (where did the gravity come from to compress that dirt?). Then after a long period of time the dot started to spin. And it spinned so fast that it exploded and here we are today.

I dunno, That story seems as poetic and convincing as any of the others I've heard about where we come from.

To LES,

Is there a remote possibility there exists a being larger than yourself in the universe somewhere?

D'Man 03-02-2005 08:45 AM

Quote:

Dayspring wrote
To LES,

Is there a remote possibility there exists a being larger than yourself in the universe somewhere?

Can't speak for LES, but I know for certain there are beings larger than me in the universe, in fact, the ones I know about are on this very planet. I like to call them elephants, whales etc.....

Hacim Nosretep 03-02-2005 09:00 AM

mmmm...clever. To be somewhat more direct, I have a pretty good idea that there isn't a God, based on the evidence currently available. However, there is an almost negligible possibility, as I have stated elsewhere on the RA, that God does exist, and just decided to feed us a lot of bulls**t evidence refuting his existence.

To address the original topic, though, the "Big Bang" as Micah (Hacim reversed, by the way) conceives it probably is a huge load. In fact, it hasn't been a popular theory among astrophysicists for some time now. Let me describe for you the "new" theory, although I'm by no means a definitive source.

OK, so we have an infinite void. empty space. nothing. You can have as much of this "nothing" as you want. think of it as complete neutrality. Now, imagine "membranes" of multidimensional space, time, plus whatever other dimensional concepts we are as yet unaware of. they are entities composed of unbalance, of energy, matter, and its anti-parts. Now imagine that a couple of these 'branes come into contact w/ each other, like a pair of linen sheets hanging parallel on a line touching briefly. This triggers an enormous exchange of energy/matter (it's all the same thing, if you speed it up enough), resulting in the creation of "stuff" within our own little "membrane." The result: Earth and whatnot. g'bye.

Micah12 03-02-2005 09:19 AM

Quote:

Little Earth Stamper wrote
Quote:

Micah12 wrote

I fail to understand why this "poem" seems so convincing. 4.6 billion years ago there was nothing. And then the nothing exploded and then life appeared. You've got to be kidding. If that sounds convincing I don't know what wouldn't.

Micah12 03-02-2005 09:26 AM

You atheists believe that 4.6 billion years ago dirt.....

I believe that 6,000 years ago God created the universe. And I believe that God has the right to judge this world when he wants to, and he did in the days of Noah.

I believe the Flood happened around 4400 years ago. I'll tell you why.

The oldest tree in the world is around 4400 years old. If the theory of evolution is true, why don't we have trees that are a few million years old?

The desert in Africa is dated to be around 4300 years old. If evolution is true, why don't we have older deserts?

There are many more things that date around 4400 years old.

Micah12 03-02-2005 09:37 AM

Did you know that the sun is burning down at 5 feet per hour. If the sun is getting smaller then it used to be bigger. You have to be at least that smart to be an evolutionist. If evolution is true, the sun would swallow up the first four planets. That would be kind of hard on life here.

At the rate the moon is collecting dust it has been dated at 10,000 to 6,000 years old. If evolution is true why isn't there hundreds of feet of dust on the moon?

ocmpoma 03-02-2005 09:52 AM

First off, biological evolutionary theory (you know, the one about organisms) has nothing to do with BBT, cosmology, astronomy, astrophysics, or, more particularly, the age, size, and changes in the sun and moon. So you're arguments, even if correct, are straw men.

But they aren't correct:
Stellar evolution;
Origins of the Moon.

Micah12 03-02-2005 12:56 PM

Quote:

ocmpoma wrote
First off, biological evolutionary theory (you know, the one about organisms) has nothing to do with BBT, cosmology, astronomy, astrophysics, or, more particularly, the age, size, and changes in the sun and moon. So you're arguments, even if correct, are straw men.

But they aren't correct:
Stellar evolution;
Origins of the Moon.

What I'm trying to say is that the universe is not billions of years old.

Micah12 03-02-2005 01:02 PM

The earth's rotation is slowing down. So, as you might have guessed, it used to go faster. If the earth were billions of years old, as you evolutionists believe, the earth would spinning so fast that the days would be a couple of seconds long.

I know what happened to the dinosaurs. They got slung off the earth. (laugh)

Micah12 03-02-2005 01:04 PM

As the moon circles our globe it is getting further away. So it was closer as anyone would know. If the universe were billions of years old, the tides on the earth would be so strong they would drown everyone twice a day.

Micah12 03-02-2005 01:07 PM

At the rate our planet is filling with people (if evolution is true) the population would be over 100,000 people per square inch.

Oof! Scoot over man! Ouch!