Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Separation of Church and State (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Fuck the Queen and all who sail in her (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16766)

Smellyoldgit 12-07-2011 04:49 AM

Fuck the Queen and all who sail in her

And about time too.
Quote:

Reforms agreed earlier this year by Commonwealth countries would create a potential conflict of interest because they allow a monarch to marry a Roman Catholic, said a parliamentary committee. It said that if a future heir to the throne were raised as a Catholic, there would be an “obvious difficulty” in that person becoming head of the Anglican Church on their succession.
A fine example of how advancing secularisation is showing just how retardedly stupid some of our alleged 'treasured' traditions are now being seen. Perhaps the church should just be fucked off out of it - or is that too simple?

Kinich Ahau 12-07-2011 05:04 AM

Why does the monarch have to be head of the bloody church? Wouldn't it be easier just to end that tradition?

Eva 12-07-2011 05:41 AM

well, ok. at least that friend helps you in secular ways...because even she can see that only prayer does nothing.

Smellyoldgit 12-08-2011 02:46 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 651203)
Why does the monarch have to be head of the bloody church? Wouldn't it be easier just to end that tradition?

For fuck's sake man - we can't have you talking sense and agreeing with semi-reputable press!
Quote:

Slowly but steadily, some of our more obvious constitutional absurdities are being pruned back. First, the Commonwealth agreed a few weeks ago to allow the monarch to marry a Roman Catholic. Yesterday, MPs on the political and constitutional reform committee pointed out that any future heir raised as a Catholic would face an "obvious difficulty" to becoming head of the Church of England. Of course it would, so why should the monarch have to be the supreme governor of the Anglican church? Such questions should not be the sole prerogative of aggressive secularists.
This rather obvious little bit of nonsense is drawing some interesting flak and hopefully be the forerunner of the end of some of the 'constitutional absurdities' - some call it a can of worms, whilst others want to cling to some of the old wreckage. Whatever happens, the status quo will not be retained and at least one piece of residual bullshit will be wiped from our little country's arse.

Professor Chaos 12-08-2011 04:46 AM

Or perhaps you should, you know, not have a fucking monarch anymore.

Smellyoldgit 12-08-2011 05:08 AM

I'd ditch the monarch and the church in no particular order, but maybe that's being greedy.
Fuck it - I'm a glutton for pleasure.

Broga 12-08-2011 07:51 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 651241)
I'd ditch the monarch and the church in no particular order, but maybe that's being greedy.

The Queen does sod all, wanders around grimacing, sticks some badges on her "subjects" and reads speeches written by someone else. She has been a disaster as a parent and reared an emotionally deprived family who have proved unable to sustain mature relationships. I recall a few years ago in her Address to her People or whatever she calls it that she said the only solution to the problems of the world was religion. I don't listen to this stuff but someone, might have been the estimable Barry Duke of Freethinker fame, spotted it.
The Queen, and her family, are like a lead weight on the UK. No one, no matter how talented, can be seen as worthwhile as them. Her dopey son Charles plagues government ministers with his dotty ideas including wanting homeopathy on the NHS. The Queen is said to be a fan of this nonsense and supposedly one of her butlers has to carry her medecine around.

She is the wealthiest woman in the world and pays her servants, even those in expensive London, close to the minum wage - just over £7 and hour, I think. No wonder they need two or three jobs. She is greedy and wants massive amount of tax payers cash spent on the upkeep of her palaces. A vast amount has recently been spent on decorating a place for her vacuous grandson William. Why couldn't they pay for this themselves. However, strapped the UK citizen, oops sorry subject, is for cash the government can always find money without limit for the Windsors.

dogpet 12-08-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 651241)

Might be more important to end the gender privilege in hereditary peerage, because those fuckers really do rool, unlike the monarch. Loading government to favour men is common everywhere, but nowhere else can it be so blatant.

Institutional misogyny of course, but off topic I guess so sorry :silenced:.

Smellyoldgit 12-08-2011 02:15 PM

OK, so after ditching the monarchy and the church of England - we'll scrap the misogynistic, religotist, landed, wealth-laden, priviliged bollocks that is the House of Lords peerage selection 'process'. I guess we've got it sorted then?

Irreligious 12-08-2011 02:42 PM

Aren't you fearful that ol' Lizzie might hit you with her sceptor and have you locked away in a dungeon somewhere under Buckingham Palace?

Smellyoldgit 12-08-2011 02:52 PM

I think the ol' buzzard is probably more fearful of The Git.
Way back in the bowels of the 1990's, I was scheduled to grasp & shake her mittened paw at the opening of some snotty new building on Windsor Great Park, but I was strangely withdrawn just before the event as my perceived attitude did not portray the desired welcoming ambiance to our ruling elite.
I'll admit to being not very heartbroken - but I did piss on her roses during a half marathon a few years later.

ILOVEJESUS 12-09-2011 03:37 AM

I don't know the exact figures, but don't they draw a lot of business to our shores, together with mooching with opposite royalty?

Michael 12-09-2011 03:59 AM

I really wish Australia was a republic. That would be nice.

Having said that, I don't care enough to do anything about it.

nkb 12-09-2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

ILOVEJESUS wrote (Post 651288)
I don't know the exact figures, but don't they draw a lot of business to our shores, together with mooching with opposite royalty?

Can't they draw the business, without having a say in your politics?

Broga 12-09-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 651311)
Can't they draw the business, without having a say in your politics?

The attracting business bit is much over stated. In fact, I think the number of visitors dropped during the celebrity wedding bore of William Windsor and his missus. The royals have no right to interfere in politics but our slavish politicians think they have to take them seriously. Charles Windsor, with a non job, hasn't much else to do and interferes as an ignoranant layman in many things. I hope it isn't ageist to say that with Elizabeth Windsor "working" as head of state aged 85, it can't be too demanding. Charles, aged 65, thinks he is entitled to take over.

When they drive around whole streets are closed not to inconvenience them, hundreds of cops employed, and school kids given flags to wave. Their favourite past-time is slaughtering animals. Philip Windsor has a crude line in racism which our arse licking media regard as wit. The BBC employs what they grandly describe as "Our Royal Correspondent". This man does not do journalism. He is there to massage royal egos and put a spin on their non activities which is shameless in its sycophancy.