Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Yet Another "I'm New" Thread (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16840)

orangeitis 01-31-2012 12:10 PM

Yet Another "I'm New" Thread

Hi there. I am a 30-year-old bipolar NEET atheist raised in a Mormon household. I committed apostasy, uncloseted, at around 15 years old when I started being skeptical about Mormonism, and by extent, religion in general. It was a non-issue in my household, and my friends at the time didn't really care about my sudden atheism.

My Mormon grandmother lives with me currently, and as the one that raised me, she encouraged me to be skeptical and read the Bible while drawing my own conclusions from it, even though she's a believer. I also currently have a few Mormon friends from her Church.

The longest friendship I've ever held was with a Pentecostal for 17 years, since I was about 12. He claimed he was saved at around 17, when he felt his endorphin level raise for the first time, and attributed it to being touched by the Holy Spirit. He and I have been getting into long religious, scientific, and philosophical discussions since then. Though around April of '11, our friendship died due to an event unrelated to our religious differences.

Anyway, I've recently felt the urge to discuss my views, as well as read about other's views. I'm a big fan of The Atheist Experience, in particular one of it's hosts, Matt Dillahunty. My main goal is to spread awareness of how atheism isn't innately evil, and to find common ground with theists.

Nice to find this board :)

Irreligious 01-31-2012 12:13 PM

Welcome to the forum, orangeitis.

Just curious: Why do you capitalize the "A" in atheist?

orangeitis 01-31-2012 12:14 PM

I have no idea. Guess I do it unconsciously. Dx Sorry. *edits*

Stargazer 01-31-2012 12:15 PM

Hi, orangeitis!

Kinich Ahau 01-31-2012 12:23 PM

Hi Orangeitis, welcome. Unlike you I'm a pretty untidy atheist.

orangeitis 01-31-2012 12:25 PM

We're all different in our own ways :) Glad to meet you all.

Smellyoldgit 01-31-2012 12:30 PM

Greetings heathen. I first touched the spirit at around 14 - Glenfiddich was her name and she led me into some great rambling philosophical sessions. I never looked back.

Irreligious 01-31-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 657499)
I have no idea. Guess I do it unconsciously. Dx Sorry. *edits*

Oh.

I was curious only because some folks (oftentimes theists) like to equate not believing in gods to a religion when there is not, to my knowledge, an organized belief system based on not believing in general assertions of a God or gods.

That's all.

Anyway, I admire your resolve in trying to get others to realize that atheists are not inherently evil. That's a very tall order when holding misconceptions and uncharitable beliefs about atheists, in general, tends to serve theist causes so well.

divine zombie 01-31-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Hi there. I am a 30-year-old bipolar NEET atheist raised in a Mormon household.
I'm glad I didn't do one of these introduction thingys.

I'm boring compared to this stuff.

ILOVEJESUS 01-31-2012 12:45 PM

Hi and welcome. Enjoy your time here.

Professor Chaos 01-31-2012 01:14 PM

Welcome!

:cheers:

Sol 01-31-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 657497)
...... My main goal is to spread awareness of how atheism isn't innately evil, and to find common ground with theists.

Best of luck with that endeavour :D .....and welcome.

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 657507)
I first touched the spirit at around 14 - Glenfiddich was her name and she led me into some great rambling philosophical sessions. I never looked back.

ahhhh..... Glenfiddich, so sweet the memories - I lost my virginity to a 6th former and a bottle of Glenfiddich at 14. Bless them both :heart:

Eternal 01-31-2012 02:05 PM

Hi Orangeitis, welcome to the forum, it's good to have you here.

psychodiva 01-31-2012 02:52 PM

hello :)

West491 01-31-2012 04:10 PM

Welcome to the forum. Do try and make yourself at home. :cheers:

Quote:

orangeitis wrote (Post 657497)
I'm a big fan of The Atheist Experience, in particular one of it's hosts, Matt Dillahunty.

This talk show was one of my most abrupt and pleasantly disturbing introductions to the world of non-belief. And yes, Matt kicks ass.