Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Does God Exist? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Universe a Simulation? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17238)

Francis 12-02-2014 03:46 PM

Universe a Simulation?

The Buddhists and certain Hindu sects have believed, for thousands of years, that reality is an illusion. Only recently, science has caught up with this belief, with the notion that this is all a simulation. One scientist has proposed a way to examine the question. He discusses the number of simulations we humans have produced. For that he uses video games as well as the standard medical and astronomical (etc.) models. He notes that simulations outnumber reality by an overwhelming margin.

Then he asks "what if what we are in is an elaborate simulation"? One can only wonder how a civilization, a mere one thousand years more advanced than we are, could create simulations so vast in number, and so elaborate and complete. The odds are, therefore, the scientist says, what we are in is not reality, but is a simulation.

Does that mean ALL the science of humanity is rigged and contrived?

Does that mean that God is a nerdy, nearsighted extraterrestrial?

Scientists think these are serious questions. But I believe there is a forum award for the poster who first brings up sperm and snot.

ghoulslime 12-02-2014 05:09 PM

Although your post is obviously baited with a dishonest ulterior motive, I will make a brief response in all sincerity. Humans have evolved to accept physical boundaries as absolute boundaries of sorts, based on the physical ability to detect or distinguish these barriers. Where one area of space filled with molecules ends and another begins depends entirely on one's arbitrary criterion.

The totality of the universe is certainly beyond the ability of anyone to comprehensively explain at present. Anything is possible. This could all be a part of a unicorn's dream or an alien's computer game, but until there is evidence to demonstrate the factual reality of wild speculation, then it remains precisely that.

Francis 12-02-2014 05:27 PM

The post was directed at the assumptions made by atheists. One assumption is that we are in a four dimensional reality, that scientific experiments and observations reflect actual cause/effect laws.

I am not the one who raised this simulation question. Look on youtube and enter "universe a simulation" in the search box.

And thank you for attributing dishonesty to my motives, although we note you didn't ask. My motive is to present a provocative question, because certainty of belief, or non-belief is destructive to the human condition.

ghoulslime 12-02-2014 05:33 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 679785)
The post was directed at the assumptions made by atheists. One assumption is that we are in a four dimensional reality, that scientific experiments and observations reflect actual cause/effect laws.

I am not the one who raised this simulation question. Look on youtube and enter "universe a simulation" in the search box.

And thank you for attributing dishonesty to my motives, although we note you didn't ask. My motive is to present a provocative question, because certainty of belief, or non-belief is destructive to the human condition.

The atheist position is nothing more than a rejection of your baseless assertion of a magical sky man, who lives outside of reality, a being of unimaginable complexity, who came from nothingness. That is all that atheism constitutes. Anything beyond this is something in addition to atheism. Stop trying to pretend like there is anything more to this, scumbag.

It is irrelevant what the religious position of these hypothetical individuals happens to be. The merits of their positive assertion is predicated upon the evidence they present. If you would like to present and defend the merits of the hypothesis of these people, then please do so. Or was this meant to be another strawman for you to erect and then mock?

Davin 12-03-2014 06:41 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 679785)

No one here made those assumptions. It seems that you have missed your target by directing the post at the wrong website.

Quote:

Francis wrote

As far as this website is concerned, you brought it up and raised the question to us.

Quote:

Francis wrote

Well, you did just lie. You raised the simulation question here then said that you did not.

Francis 12-03-2014 02:29 PM

Yes, I raised it "here", but I do not believe my referring to it "here" was original thinking or that I originally proposed it. Negative on both counts. It is an ongoing scientific discussion.

And no, I am not moved by bald claims of atheist logic or commitment to science. Those on this forum sound more like frustrated teenagers than what they claim. The use of profanity does not enhance anything but one's tendency to invoke profanity. The impugning of motives is bizarrely, identical to the common practice of fundamentalist religion.

ghoulslime 12-03-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 679812)
Yes, I raised it "here", but I do not believe my referring to it "here" was original thinking or that I originally proposed it. Negative on both counts. It is an ongoing scientific discussion.

And no, I am not moved by bald claims of atheist logic or commitment to science. Those on this forum sound more like frustrated teenagers than what they claim. The use of profanity does not enhance anything but one's tendency to invoke profanity. The impugning of motives is bizarrely, identical to the common practice of fundamentalist religion.

Atheist logic as opposed to logic? Is there a difference?

Go fuck your filthy mother, Francis.

Kate 12-03-2014 04:57 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-s0yoDXTuF9...e_goldfish.jpg

Davin 12-04-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Yes, I raised it "here", but I do not believe my referring to it "here" was original thinking or that I originally proposed it.[...]

Oh, Francis, you don't have to tell us that you didn't originally think something, we already know.

This Sunday, the Kansas City Chiefs (7-5) are playing the Arizona Cardinals (9-3). I think the Cardinals will lose.

Sinfidel 12-04-2014 08:16 AM

I wonder why all the fuss about beheadings and drone strikes if they're just simulations?

:\

Smellyoldgit 12-04-2014 08:16 AM

D'ya think Aston Villa can whup Leicester this Sunday?

Kinich Ahau 12-04-2014 10:52 AM

This "the universe is arse stimulation" thread doesn't seem to be going anywhere. I thought it was one of francis's better arguments actually.

2-1 to leicester.

Smellyoldgit 12-04-2014 11:00 AM

I did have a lash at Aussie rules footy in my time out there - but the 300lb fat bastards started to hurt my sleek, lithe frame after not to many hits.

Francis is still a shit-stirring fuckwit with little to offer except buggering off.

Kinich Ahau 12-04-2014 11:05 AM

That must have been in the good old days when everyone used to wack each other. The games gone soft I tells ya.

Smellyoldgit 12-04-2014 11:11 AM

Indeed - and now you lot are playing rough with the gentleman cricketers!
I wonder if Abbot will ever bowl again?

Kinich Ahau 12-04-2014 11:19 AM

Mmm, it must be tough being him right now. Actually didn't you guys start it. We have long memories. Not as bad as those kiwis though, they are still crying about that ball that slipped out of chappel's hand and rolled along the ground.

Francis 12-04-2014 12:45 PM

It's the same as it has been for years on this site. The same people saying "shit, dumbass, turd", etc. , as if those are arguments. The reality is that these people here would not be given the time of day by their heroes Dawkins, Harris, Krauss or the late Mr. Hitchens.

Those people at least, try to deal with the issues in a responsible manner.

If this universe is a simulation as has been postulated, it has profound implications for the religious and atheists alike. Intellectual simplicity and comfort, on this site, always trumps challenge and real debate

Davin 12-04-2014 01:04 PM

Oh no! Poor Francis. If Francis could handle a real debate, I'd probably go for it, but I doubt Rancis can handle it. Likely Francine would just retreat back like Rancid used to and avoid questions, keep bringing up straw men and be all around irrational anancephalic.

Does anyone know when the baseball season starts?

Francis 12-04-2014 05:08 PM

Yet another person who would cause the esteemed Mr. Dawkins to recoil in disdain.

Smellyoldgit 12-04-2014 07:02 PM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 679863)
Actually didn't you guys start it.

Ahh, good old Mr Larwood - Bodyline really did stir up some shit!
Perhaps murrikan baseball could be spiced up with a similar tactic. ;)

ghoulslime 12-04-2014 09:47 PM

I just sprinkled calcium chloride on my driveway. The snow has made it really icy. I hope calcium chloride won't harm my cement.

Davin 12-05-2014 06:32 AM

I kind of miss having snow.

Kinich Ahau 12-05-2014 07:47 AM

I had baked beans for dinner tonight with grated parmesan.

Smellyoldgit 12-05-2014 07:49 AM

My dog had three shits on this morning's walk. I'm so jealous.

Francis 12-05-2014 01:05 PM

And, if the universe is a simulation, there is a creator of sorts, reality is an illusion, nothing is here, including us, and the scientific evidence you rely upon for your atheism does not exist.

Sinfidel 12-05-2014 02:02 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 679915)
And, if the universe is a simulation, there is a creator of sorts, reality is an illusion, nothing is here, including us, and the scientific evidence you rely upon for your atheism does not exist.

There are many simple tests you can do to prove your assertion - even the bible has a couple, like drinking poison or playing with rattlesnakes.
You could drink acid, or turn your stove burner on high, wait until it's glowing cherry red, and then firmly plant your hand on it and hold it there.
None of these things will harm you, since it's all just a simulation!

:rock:

Francis 12-05-2014 02:46 PM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 679923)
There are many simple tests you can do to prove your assertion - even the bible has a couple, like drinking poison or playing with rattlesnakes.
You could drink acid, or turn your stove burner on high, wait until it's glowing cherry red, and then firmly plant your hand on it and hold it there.
None of these things will harm you, since it's all just a simulation!

Yet another commentator who misunderstands the issue. Even if we are sentient entities within a simulation, since pain and disfigurement are part of the program, we would experience those things even if we are digital in our existence.

Your too-quick conclusion that you understand the issues is misplaced and your "tests" would prove nothing.

dogpet 12-05-2014 03:35 PM

Nothing but a philosophical exercise, which surely no-one takes seriously other than shitlord #1 (*demoted)'s unnamed scientists.

Francis repeats an ancient headline, in a failed attempt to engage with bright people.

We are an illusion only as far as a necessary vehicle for genes.

Smellyoldgit 12-05-2014 08:03 PM

I wonder how the Frantard would react to reality if he got his useless shrivelled testicles caught in a bear trap.

Francis 12-09-2014 05:21 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 679934)
I wonder how the Frantard would react to reality if he got his useless shrivelled testicles caught in a bear trap.

Do they actually allow fourteen year old boys to post on this forum?

Francis 12-09-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 679927)
Nothing but a philosophical exercise, which surely no-one takes seriously other than shitlord #1 (*demoted)'s unnamed scientists.

Francis repeats an ancient headline, in a failed attempt to engage with bright people.

We are an illusion only as far as a necessary vehicle for genes.

Incorrect. Respected physicists have raised the issue in all seriousness. Refusal to inquire by you does not change what mainstream science is questioning.

Further, there are actual scientists who have proposed experiments which they believe would reveal if this reality is or is not a simulation. I have difficulty seeing how this could be so, but at least one scientist thinks the hypothesis could be tested.

By the way, I believe that the scientist who I first heard raise this question on an hour long youtube lecture, was himself an atheist. So your attempts to evade this issue, framed insincerely as 'no one cares', is just completely wrong and blunderingly so

Smellyoldgit 12-09-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680071)

Yes, we do allow you to post your crass stupidity on this forum.

Kate 12-10-2014 07:11 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../apix/bsmf.jpg

ghoulslime 12-10-2014 09:30 AM

Quote:

Why, were you cruising for a new boy friend?

Sinfidel 12-10-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680072)
Incorrect. Respected physicists have raised the issue in all seriousness.

Dissenting scientists aren't automagically credible.

Quote:

Refusal to inquire by you does not change what mainstream science is questioning.
Little point in inquiring until there is evidence!

Quote:

Further, there are actual scientists who have proposed experiments which they believe would reveal if this reality is or is not a simulation. I have difficulty seeing how this could be so, but at least one scientist thinks the hypothesis could be tested.
Since none of us have the wherewithal (or the inclination?) to perform said experiments, we have little choice to wait in anticipation of the results. Of course, it is not uncommon for exotic experiments to give results that provide more questions, rather than answers. There are well credentialed scientists who dispute the distance measurements of pulsars, casting doubt on the incredibly high energy outputs.

Quote:

By the way, I believe that the scientist who I first heard raise this question on an hour long youtube lecture, was himself an atheist. So your attempts to evade this issue, framed insincerely as 'no one cares', is just completely wrong and blunderingly so
THis is so similar to the "who created God" problem. Who created and operates the simulator? What if it is another simulator? Like the Turtle theory, maybe it's simulators all the way down!
Where's my copy of Sim City.....

dogpet 12-10-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Incorrect. Respected physicists have raised the issue in all seriousness. Refusal to inquire by you does not change what mainstream science is questioning.

Another underhand try by the Frantard to increase the minuscule odds of a fat controller.

You have no interest in the subject Shitlord, nor understanding, except to serve your mendacious purpose.

Your still unnamed sources are laughing up their collective sleeves at you & your like, I've seen them on you tube.

dogpet 12-10-2014 02:56 PM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 680115)

:PThat's the one.

By coincidence we watched a movie called 'The Thirteenth Floor' last friday, have you seen it? Is there any significance to the number thirteen in the title? It could actually be like a, clock face in a 2D universe, where #13 is beyond the clock.
The clockmaker if you will.

Sinfidel 12-10-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 680117)
:PThat's the one.

By coincidence we watched a movie called 'The Thirteenth Floor' last friday, have you seen it? Is there any significance to the number thirteen in the title? It could actually be like a, clock face in a 2D universe, where #13 is beyond the clock.
The clockmaker if you will.

Haven't seen it - sounds like fun! Will search on the Net and Roku.

Kinich Ahau 12-10-2014 09:55 PM

I've heard that a lot of buildings especially hotels don't have a 13th floor. I don't think it happens in Australia though.

Francis 12-10-2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 680115)

THis is so similar to the "who created God" problem. Who created and operates the simulator? What if it is another simulator? Like the Turtle theory, maybe it's simulators all the way down!

Incorrect. I am not trying to establish a creator in the form of a nerdy extraterrestrial programmer. I am merely casting doubt upon science and proof. If it is all rigged, then what you rely on - proof - is also an illusion.

That's my point. Please refrain from falsely attributing statements or motives to me. I will freely state them if asked.

dogpet 12-11-2014 03:30 AM

Heh Francis, did you ever try any of calpurnpiso's reality tests from a while back?

Did you bump your head? :lol:

Kate 12-11-2014 06:51 AM

http://www.deconstructor.com/pics/nyc/P9150152.jpg

Davin 12-11-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680140)
Incorrect. I am not trying to establish a creator in the form of a nerdy extraterrestrial programmer. I am merely casting doubt upon science and proof.

Why? Do you go around spraying the ocean with water to make sure it's wet? There is already doubt in scientific discovery... the problem you have to defeat, is that even with doubt, science is getting shit done. Even without 100% certainty, science is way better than other method at determining reality.

Quote:

Francis wrote
If it is all rigged, then what you rely on - proof - is also an illusion.

Doesn't matter.

Quote:

Francis wrote
That's my point. Please refrain from falsely attributing statements or motives to me. I will freely state them if asked.

He didn't attribute statements or motives to you, he pointed out the glaring problems with your statements that you should be embarrassed about.

Kate 12-11-2014 08:57 AM

http://www.britishsouthindians.co.uk...on-300x213.jpg

Eternal 12-11-2014 09:23 AM

I still can't comprehend fully how people believe if they disprove one thing then the other must be true. What one dimensional deluded thought processes riddled with dishonesty must pass through their handful of brain cells.

Francis said:
I am merely casting doubt upon science and proof. If it is all rigged, then what you rely on - proof - is also an illusion.

So you're trying to establish that proof is equally as unreliable as belief? Therefore truths people know that are evidence and fact based, rather than conjecture and guesswork, are equally as likely to be wrong, and as such, equally as retarded and pointless as a blind faith viewpoint?

This is of course only relevant if we do all in fact live in a giant fucking simulation, which I haven't seen any evidence for, and seems to be purely an idea plucked from someones ass. I had several similar ones in my youth when my brain was under the influence of chemical substances.

Sinfidel 12-11-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

I'm sure they would. After all, it's only the theologues who practise discrimination, and throw acid or shoot girls attempting to attend school, or vote, or become priests.
Why shouldn't a fourteen year old be allowed to voice his/her opinions?

Sinfidel 12-11-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Incorrect. I am not trying to establish a creator in the form of a nerdy extraterrestrial programmer.

Oh. Well then, explain where your "simulator" came from? Did it always exist? Did it spring into existence from nothing?
Is it the plaything of an invisible bearded old man like god who cackles insanely as he plays with his ant farm?

Quote:

I am merely casting doubt upon science and proof.

Oh. Yet you claim "Respected physicists have raised the issue in all seriousness.", so you are quoting the very scientists
you cast doubt upon to support your claim! Ever heard of cognitive dissonance?

Quote:

Francis wrote
If it is all rigged, then what you rely on - proof - is also an illusion.

Proof is for liquor and mathematics. Science relies on evidence. If it is indeed "all rigged", then who is doing the rigging?
If it is the God thingie, then the attributes claimed for it are all lies, since rigging things to deceive us reveals an
evil intent.

Quote:

Francis wrote
That's my point.

So you quote science to claim the 13 billion odd years age of the universe, yet
out of the other side of your mouth, claim science is "all rigged." ROTFLMAO!

Quote:

Francis wrote
Please refrain from falsely attributing statements or motives to me.

No need, you are doing a great job by yourself.

Quote:

Francis wrote
I will freely state them if asked.

Well then, DO tell us who is running your simulator! Oh, and how would we tell the REAL Francis from the simulated version?

BTW, so much for your scientists testing your simulator theory -

http://io9.com/5818008/the-universe-...gram-after-all

Kate 12-11-2014 10:00 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_bFIgsNxalm...eonpajamas.jpg

Francis 12-11-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 680177)

BTW, so much for your scientists testing your simulator theory -

http://io9.com/5818008/the-universe-...gram-after-all

Sigh! Yet another atheist, so quick to discount actual scientific inquiry.

For your information, the question of whether the universe is a 2d holographic projection of 3d is a DIFFERENT QUESTION from whether this is an advanced simulation.

Francis 12-11-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 680116)
Another underhand try by the Frantard to increase the minuscule odds of a fat controller.

You have no interest in the subject Shitlord, nor understanding, except to serve your mendacious purpose.

Your still unnamed sources are laughing up their collective sleeves at you & your like, I've seen them on you tube.

I have noted that the religious attribute evil and dishonesty to those who do not agree with their views. Shall we call you Reverend?

Further, your refusal to even do the most modest of internet inquiry into this question indicates a mind closed to any theories or science which might upend the atheist applecart. I have known priests who are similar in mindset.

Eternal 12-11-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680199)
I have noted that the religious attribute evil and dishonesty to those who do not agree with their views. Shall we call you Reverend?

Further, your refusal to even do the most modest of internet inquiry into this question indicates a mind closed to any theories or science which might upend the atheist applecart. I have known priests who are similar in mindset.

You came here spouting this, shouldn't you provide the links?

Eternal 12-11-2014 02:43 PM

I must admit though Francis my little buddy, I think all this talk of simulation is finally getting through. Just last night I had a dream where I simulated fucking you in the ass, by fucking you in the face instead.

Please don't dash my hopes darling, say it can be more than a dream, say it can be so...

Smellyoldgit 12-11-2014 06:51 PM

Quote:

Eternal wrote (Post 680200)
You came here spouting this load of shit-stirring wank, shouldn't you provide the links?

Excuse me, but I took advice from a 14 year old trainee catholic to correct you ....

Eternal 12-12-2014 02:57 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 680217)
Excuse me, but I took advice from a 14 year old trainee catholic to correct you ....

Apologies, obviously my obscenities have slipped in my absence. I will endeavour to include more gitiness in future.

Sinfidel 12-12-2014 03:32 AM

Quote:

Aah, Youtube, that famous peer reviewed science journal!

Quote:

Come on, everyone KNOWS reality is a theoretical snowflake existing in 196,833 dimensional space.
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...8uyi6ejjpg.jpg

Sinfidel 12-12-2014 03:52 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680198)

For your information, the question of whether the universe is a 2d holographic projection of 3d is a DIFFERENT QUESTION from whether this is an advanced simulation.

Quote:

Which is a pity, because if the universe really was a holograph, we could cut it in two and have two identical universes!
If we could find a big enough pair of scissors, of course.

Sinfidel 12-12-2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680198)

Try these on.....

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...9fkhgbxjpg.jpg

Sinfidel 12-12-2014 04:17 AM

Francis wrote
Quote:

Shall we call you Reverend?
Indeed you should, preferably "Reverend Sir". Many moons ago I was personally ordained by Bishop Kirby Hensley (PBUH) of
the Modesto California Universal Life Church. You should, of course, genuflect prior to addressing me (in hushed respectful
tones). By the authority vested in me, I shall determine whether your utterances are steaming piles of blasphemous horse
puckey. We do require proof that you are the real Francis, and not just some simulation.

psychodiva 12-15-2014 12:46 PM

https://31.media.tumblr.com/3067cd35...vkk1qz4rgp.jpg

Francis 12-15-2014 01:25 PM

As always, the severely closed minded atheists on this forum claim their own adherence to logic and proof and open minded inquiry, even as they resolutely deny and ignore those very precepts.

Logic, proof and open mindedness are not inherent. They require discipline. The kind of discipline that is unknown to the atheists on this site.

Michael 12-16-2014 01:00 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680362)
As always, the severely closed minded atheists on this forum claim their own adherence to logic and proof and open minded inquiry, even as they resolutely deny and ignore those very precepts.

Logic, proof and open mindedness are not inherent. They require discipline. The kind of discipline that is unknown to the atheists on this site.

Is that the same discipline that makes you think sports clubs are religions, but buddhism isn't? Because if so, I'll pass, thanks.

I'll stick to my 'undisciplined' logic that actually reflects reality.

Sinfidel 12-16-2014 09:20 AM

Quote:

http://drjimsthinkingshop.com/wp-con...09/6-2-081.gif

Sinfidel 12-16-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

https://claesjohnsonmathscience.file...2/lars0896.gif

Sinfidel 12-16-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 679776)
The Buddhists and certain Hindu sects have believed, for thousands of years, that reality is an illusion. Only recently, science has caught up with this belief, with the notion that this is all a simulation. One scientist has proposed a way to examine the question.

Isn't it amazing how religious nutbars wanting to impress the world with their scientific knowledge always quote as an authority some unnamed scientist! LOL!
Is he the same scientist whose ingenious inventions include....

http://badsentinel.com/wp-content/up...novation-4.jpg

And....

http://badsentinel.com/wp-content/up...novation-3.jpg

Sinfidel 12-17-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Yes, I raised it "here", but I do not believe my referring to it "here" was original thinking.

Obviously. Your posts make it clear you never had an original thought in your entire life.

Quote:

It is an ongoing scientific discussion.
Give the peer reviewed scientific journals where this is an ongoing discussion!

:rolleyes: :lol:

Sinfidel 12-17-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 679866)
Intellectual simplicity and comfort, on this site, always trumps challenge and real debate

So, you concede that Occam was correct....:rock:

Sinfidel 12-17-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

And thank you for attributing dishonesty to my motives, although we note you didn't ask.

Yeah, we've noticed how asking a dishonest person about their honesty is a surefire way of getting an honest answer!

Quote:

certainty of belief, or non-belief is destructive to the human condition.
So the destruction of your critical thinking ability is attributable to your certainty on atheist beliefs?
e.g.
Quote:

And no, I am not moved by bald claims of atheist logic
BTW, we are not moved by your bald Creator/God claims. Ever heard of hypocrisy? Apparently not.
So, we are at an impasse. Your concrete brain is immune to logic, and we are not moved by your bald assertions.
But do continue posting, it gives us insight into the mental illness of religion, and provides us mirth and entertainment.

Sinfidel 12-17-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Further, there are actual scientists who have proposed experiments which they believe would reveal if this reality is or is not a simulation.

http://thisiswhatiwoulddo.files.word...008/08/sci.gif

Sinfidel 12-18-2014 04:42 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote http://ravingatheists.com/forum/imag...s/viewpost.gif

https://glenn2point0.files.wordpress...acleoccurs.gif

clambake 12-18-2014 08:24 AM

[quote=Sinfidel;680427]Isn't it amazing how religious nutbars wanting to impress the world with their scientific knowledge always quote as an authority some unnamed scientist! LOL!

Hey don't be dissing on the drink cozy on a crutch! How else are you going to hold your beer?

Francis 12-18-2014 01:34 PM

Of course, the issue of whether or not the universe is a simulation is easily researched, widely explored and at their fingertips. What, however do they do? Imagining themselves clever, they claim the inquiry does not exist and default to toilet imagery.

How sad and well, even pathetic.

Sinfidel 12-18-2014 09:48 PM

[quote=clambake;680471]
Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 680427)
Isn't it amazing how religious nutbars wanting to impress the world with their scientific knowledge always quote as an authority some unnamed scientist! LOL!

Hey don't be dissing on the drink cozy on a crutch! How else are you going to hold your beer?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...eer-helmet.jpg

Davin 12-19-2014 06:32 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680485)
Of course, the issue of whether or not the universe is a simulation is easily researched, widely explored and at their fingertips. What, however do they do? Imagining themselves clever, they claim the inquiry does not exist and default to toilet imagery.

How sad and well, even pathetic.

Of course the reason why people should not accept that the universe is a simulation, is easily researched at Francis' fingertips. What does he do? Imagines himself clever and avoids looking it.

Very pathetic, but that is par for dishonest theists.

Francis 12-19-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Davin wrote (Post 680506)
Of course the reason why people should not accept that the universe is a simulation, is easily researched at Francis' fingertips. What does he do? Imagines himself clever and avoids looking it.

Very pathetic, but that is par for dishonest theists.

Note two major indicators of religion in your post. First of all, you attribute dishonesty to people who do not agree with you. Religious people everywhere think their view just so self evident that no one could dispute it - so disagreement must be "dishonest".

The second indicator you display is the rejection of science. Note how you cover your eyes rather than consider what science is currently (and seriously) exploring. Creationists are also very prone to this flaw in reasoning.

Do you prefer to be called Minister or Reverend?

Kinich Ahau 12-19-2014 06:07 PM

These major indicators you refer to only exist in loopy Franny's definition of what some but not all religions, sports clubs, hobby clubs, corporations, community associations, people that watch Dancing With the Stars, neighbourhood watch, internet communities, unions and families are.

Show us just one definition anywhere that has attributing dishonesty in it.

Is loopy Franny world a fun place? Does it have different laws of nature as well?

Francis 12-19-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 680537)
These major indicators you refer to only exist in loopy Franny's definition of what some but not all religions, sports clubs, hobby clubs, corporations, community associations, people that watch Dancing With the Stars, neighbourhood watch, internet communities, unions and families are.

Show us just one definition anywhere that has attributing dishonesty in it.

Is loopy Franny world a fun place? Does it have different laws of nature as well?

Note the desperate attempt to exempt this cherished atheist commandment and practice. He must, by the grace of the Grand Nothingness, save the attribution of dishonesty to others. Without it, one of the primary comforts of the atheist faith is done and people will leave the flock.

Note the outlandish, irrational extremes he goes to. Note that NONE of the "organizations" (most cannot be called even this) express all or even most of the behaviors of religion I listed.

I propose a chant for the atheist faithful. Pray five times a day facing Mel's Hole in the northwest. Say out loud three times "We ARE the perfect and all who say not are the evil spawn of lowly beasts"

Sinfidel 12-20-2014 03:13 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680546)
Note the desperate attempt to exempt this cherished atheist commandment and practice. He must, by the grace of the Grand Nothingness, save the attribution of dishonesty to others. Without it, one of the primary comforts of the atheist faith is done and people will leave the flock.

Note the outlandish, irrational extremes he goes to. Note that NONE of the "organizations" (most cannot be called even this) express all or even most of the behaviors of religion I listed.

I propose a chant for the atheist faithful. Pray five times a day facing Mel's Hole in the northwest. Say out loud three times "We ARE the perfect and all who say not are the evil spawn of lowly beasts"

Your message has been
carefully placed in
its very own, specially
prepared, luxuriantly
hand crafted porcelain
filing Cabinet where
it will receive the
dignity and attention
it deserves. Thank you.

Francis 12-20-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 680550)
Your message has been
carefully placed in
its very own, specially
prepared, luxuriantly
hand crafted porcelain
filing Cabinet where
it will receive the
dignity and attention
it deserves. Thank you.

Every comment of yours is some version of "poopy on you"

selliedjoup 12-20-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 679783)
Although your post is obviously baited with a dishonest ulterior motive, I will make a brief response in all sincerity. Humans have evolved to accept physical boundaries as absolute boundaries of sorts, based on the physical ability to detect or distinguish these barriers. Where one area of space filled with molecules ends and another begins depends entirely on one's arbitrary criterion.

The totality of the universe is certainly beyond the ability of anyone to comprehensively explain at present. Anything is possible. This could all be a part of a unicorn's dream or an alien's computer game, but until there is evidence to demonstrate the factual reality of wild speculation, then it remains precisely that.

Just wondering if you have any evidence for why there will be evidence? It's as if [shock, horror] you have contrived a conclusion in the absence of any evidence?

Sinfidel 12-21-2014 04:48 AM

Quote:

selliedjoup wrote (Post 680598)
Just wondering if you have any evidence for why there will be evidence? It's as if [shock, horror] you have contrived a conclusion in the absence of any evidence?

Do tell us how you discovered the existence of the un-natural universe without any evidence?

:P

psychodiva 12-21-2014 07:25 AM

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2014...18384153-1.jpg

Francis 12-21-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 680655)

You know, you give women a bad name when your posts only make sense to fourth graders

Smellyoldgit 12-21-2014 10:06 AM

Francis gives humanity a bad name just by breathing. There's always hope he'll fuck off with his slimey, tedious crap before too long.

ghoulslime 12-21-2014 10:13 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680657)
You know, you give women a bad name when your posts only make sense to fourth graders

Poor Francis! Psychodiva, in the future, please structure your posts for a third-grade level, so that Francis can understand.

psychodiva 12-21-2014 11:25 AM

okey dokey :thumbsup:

ghoulslime 12-21-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 680671)
okey dokey :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

psychodiva 12-21-2014 11:29 AM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hb6c1lo7mo...600/Slide5.PNG

There ya go Franky baby

ghoulslime 12-21-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 680660)
Francis gives humanity a bad name just by breathing. There's always hope he'll fuck off with his slimey, tedious crap before too long.

Wait! Francis is human? I was under the impression he was a random farm animal that Yahweh was using as His mouthpiece.

ghoulslime 12-21-2014 11:30 AM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 680674)

Outstanding! NOW we have a basis for a rational conversation with Francis!

Francis 12-22-2014 06:10 AM

This universe may or may not be simulated, but the intelligence of some on this site is clearly an illusion.

Davin 12-22-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680518)
Note two major indicators of religion in your post.

First of all, they are not indicators of religion, because they are not part of any definition of religion. You even stated that they are not part of your definition of religion.

Quote:

Francis wrote
First of all, you attribute dishonesty to people who do not agree with you.

I also attribute dishonesty to people that do agree with me if I see that they are being dishonest. You are giving a good example of confirmation bias.

Quote:

Francis wrote
Religious people everywhere think their view just so self evident that no one could dispute it - so disagreement must be "dishonest".

I do not think that my view is self evident, but you seem to think that yours is...

Quote:

Francis wrote
The second indicator you display is the rejection of science.

I do not reject science. But this is a new one for you.

Quote:

Francis wrote
Note how you cover your eyes rather than consider what science is currently (and seriously) exploring. Creationists are also very prone to this flaw in reasoning.

Ah, so you're ignoring the scientific process. You've mistaken a hypothesis with a theory, with people exploring a possibility and people that have demonstrated the possibility. Your bad, but no worries.

Quote:

Francis wrote
Do you prefer to be called Minister or Reverend?

Don't matter to me what you call me, how about, Reverend Minister? Again, I don't care if you say that I'm religious. I really don't care, do it all you want. The more you do it, the more it makes me laugh. I want to see how much you can go down the wrong way before you see that you're wrong. Maybe you already see that you're wrong and are just carrying on in spite of it. Doesn't matter to me, it's hilarious either way.

Kinich Ahau 12-22-2014 06:54 AM

What can we call Francis when he actually is being dishonest? Which seems to be a lot by the way.

Davin 12-22-2014 07:01 AM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680744)
This universe may or may not be simulated, but the intelligence of some on this site is clearly an illusion.

Oh snap, y'all!

In my observations, dishonest shit bags display a few characteristics:
1) Avoiding direct points against their claims.
2) Misrepresenting their opponents statements.
3) Making pathetic attempts to insult those smarter.
4) Sticking to their original guns even when they admitted that parts of their claims are wrong.
5) Continues to make unsupported claims while refusing to back up any claim they made.

Now Francis has done all five of these things, clearly indicating that Francis is a dishonest shit bag.

I suppose that Franciepooh thinks that because I think Francis is being dishonest, that I must be a part of some religion. I wonder what religion I must be part of. Maybe Francie can tell me.

Sinfidel 12-22-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 680748)
What can we call Francis when he actually is being dishonest? Which seems to be a lot by the way.

"It is in the nature of fundamentalism that it
should contain a powerful streak of irrationality and
that it should not relate, in a verifiable, practical
way, to the everyday world. It is also necessary for a
fundamentalist belief that it should permit the
emergence of gurus, whose pronouncements can be widely
reported and pondered on endlessly - endlessly for the
reason that they contain nothing of substance, so that
it would take an eternity of time to distil even one
drop of sense from them."

Source unknown.

Smellyoldgit 12-22-2014 10:49 AM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 680748)

Shitlord!

Francis 12-22-2014 01:15 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 680770)

Oh. Yawn. Yet another poopy-on-you atheist. How creative.

Francis 12-22-2014 01:21 PM

Francis wrote:

Davin wrote:
Oh snap, y'all!

In my observations, dishonest shit bags display a few characteristics:
1) Avoiding direct points against their claims.
2) Misrepresenting their opponents statements.
3) Making pathetic attempts to insult those smarter.
4) Sticking to their original guns even when they admitted that parts of their claims are wrong.
5) Continues to make unsupported claims while refusing to back up any claim they made.

Now Francis has done all five of these things, clearly indicating that Francis is a dishonest shit bag.

I suppose that Franciepooh thinks that because I think Francis is being dishonest, that I must be a part of some religion. I wonder what religion I must be part of. Maybe Francie can tell me.

I didn't mention your name in this context. I wonder why you took it personally. Did I strike a nerve?

Davin 12-22-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Francis wrote (Post 680782)
Francis wrote:

I didn't mention your name in this context. I wonder why you took it personally. Did I strike a nerve?

:lol: No. But you go ahead and assume that you did. ;)

Sinfidel 12-22-2014 02:40 PM

Francis wrote http://ravingatheists.com/forum/imag...s/viewpost.gif
Quote:

Ooh look - an other example of Pope Francis arsenal of evidence for the simulated Universe!

:lol:

selliedjoup 12-22-2014 07:14 PM

They have nothing but tenacity. They've been doing it for years. Best thing is they think their logic is water tight when theyre really just pissing down their leg again and getting a high 5 from another incontinent atheist.