Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I no longer try to reason with religious idiots. They do love to be abused..... (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16896)

muse 03-22-2012 08:37 AM

I no longer try to reason with religious idiots. They do love to be abused.....

"If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people" HOUSE

Religion is a mental illness and it destroys the ability to reason. When your head is up your ass the view never changes.
When Jesus lives in your colon, your head will always love being in your colon with the Holy Spirit up there, and the love in knowing God is a bowel movement.

Smellyoldgit 03-22-2012 08:46 AM

Ah, such pooetry - I shall pay homage by crimping off a loaf for Jebus. :thumbsup:

muse 03-22-2012 08:51 AM

Jesus comes more often with fiber. Constipated people never know the whole weat Jesus experience.

divine zombie 03-22-2012 10:33 AM

George Bernard Shaw summed up my feelings on dealing with god botherers:

'I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.'

Professor Chaos 03-22-2012 10:55 AM

Edit: I meant This.

(But also, still, This.)

Smellyoldgit 03-22-2012 01:03 PM

Ahh, nostalgia's not what it used to be.
I make every effort to treat the god-whalloping retards with the complete disrespect they deserve, but compared to the ol' fizzicks fucker, I still sound like an English country gent at a strawberry sniffing convention.
Must try harder.

theistic_sheep 03-22-2012 04:48 PM

Actually, I think you missed something... religion, specifically the "Jesus botherers" HAS changed. Dramatically. We no longer stone gays with real rocks, burn witches, the more liberal folk let women talk and wear pants made of mixed material (shock horror). It is difficult to see the change WITHIN a person, but cross culturally, and temporally, you can see a lot of change.

Opposing bigotry and discrimination often doesn't work on one person, or only a very small difference, but the masses working on it large scale over time obviously have made a considerable difference. As they say, anyone who thinks the sum of small changes makes no difference has obviously never studied calculus.

West491 03-22-2012 05:02 PM

I reckon religion ain't changed a lick. Time has kept ticking and some people have moved along with it. Only the thickest of idiots take their holy text literally and we have a name for them- terrorists.

theistic_sheep 03-22-2012 05:07 PM

Which is why we see Christians eating bacon, wearing clothes of mixed fibers, and not stoning gays? Of course it has changed.

West491 03-22-2012 05:29 PM

You sort of missed the point. The way that people respond to religion has changed, not religion. The bible still commands you to stone fags, ya know?

Stargazer 03-22-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

theistic_sheep wrote (Post 662907)
Actually, I think you missed something... religion, specifically the "Jesus botherers" HAS changed. Dramatically. We no longer stone gays with real rocks, burn witches, the more liberal folk let women talk and wear pants made of mixed material (shock horror). It is difficult to see the change WITHIN a person, but cross culturally, and temporally, you can see a lot of change.

Opposing bigotry and discrimination often doesn't work on one person, or only a very small difference, but the masses working on it large scale over time obviously have made a considerable difference. As they say, anyone who thinks the sum of small changes makes no difference has obviously never studied calculus.

Most of these changes came about because society no longer allows such behavior from theists. It would have been nicer if they had made these changes on their own, and not been forced to by the law. Witness the Mormons having to give up (mostly - some still haven't) having multiple wives. If it hadn't been against the law, do you think it would have changed? And If you say this was a harmless practice, remember, there was a tendency to marry off girls to much older men, as if they were cattle to be traded.

So I do not really think a whole lot of weight can be placed on these changes.

theistic_sheep 03-22-2012 05:38 PM

I don't think they would have changed without the pressure of the law, but I think that society putting pressure on them via the law is a great idea. I think those kind of actions should be continued against bigotry and discrimination in religion. Next step - the prohibitions on gay marriage.

I have changed much as a theist. I started as a rabid fundie and now I'm so liberal the rabid fundies won't even acknowledge I am a theist because I am not "one of them". People do change, it's just that fundies are just the most stubborn of all bigots and it is hard to get through to them.

Stargazer 03-22-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

theistic_sheep wrote (Post 662922)
I don't think they would have changed without the pressure of the law, but I think that society putting pressure on them via the law is a great idea. I think those kind of actions should be continued against bigotry and discrimination in religion. Next step - the prohibitions on gay marriage.

I have changed much as a theist. I started as a rabid fundie and now I'm so liberal the rabid fundies won't even acknowledge I am a theist because I am not "one of them". People do change, it's just that fundies are just the most stubborn of all bigots and it is hard to get through to them.

That last sure is the truth. But, don't you think, if God wants everyone to believe in him, etc., etc., that he would not have allowed his people to become so prejudiced, misogynist and violent in the first place? He might have guided them a long time ago down the path that society has forced them to tread. What kind of caring God allows so many to be downtrodden/controlled/enslaved?

theistic_sheep 03-22-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

West491 wrote (Post 662918)
You sort of missed the point. The way that people respond to religion has changed, not religion. The bible still commands you to stone fags, ya know?

Technically it doesn't. Those laws applied only to ancient Israel as a theocracy which has long since finished. I'm not trying to diminish the fact that brutality and murder occurred in the name of God and are printed in the very pages of the bible, but it is not true that we are still commanded to stone fags. Unless you mean getting stoned WITH fags. :cool:

theistic_sheep 03-22-2012 06:08 PM

Quote:

Stargazer wrote (Post 662924)
That last sure is the truth. But, don't you think, if God wants everyone to believe in him, etc., etc., that he would not have allowed his people to become so prejudiced, misogynist and violent in the first place? He might have guided them a long time ago down the path that society has forced them to tread. What kind of caring God allows so many to be downtrodden/controlled/enslaved?

I don't think "God" did that, I think that man did hideous things and tried to say that "God told me to" as a cover. A lot of what is said in the name of God is hot, steaming, and just came out of ...