Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Speciation (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15251)

Ellie Arroway 02-24-2009 02:57 PM

:shhh:

Rhinoqulous 02-24-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote (Post 546357)
But to fully flesh this thing out, I need to figure something out that I've been pondering for the last few weeks: What is money?

Money can be exchanged for goods and services! (HS)

Money is a placeholder for actually exchanging your own goods and services for another persons goods and services. I don't need to go mop a floor or build a table for a loaf of bread, I can just hand the bread-maker cash I received for moping floors and making tables somewhere else. Money maintains its value as long as we continue to believe it has value. When we stop believing (like when consumer confidence falls), the system begins to fail.

If you want to further this it might warrant its own thread.

Philboid Studge 02-24-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Rhinoqulous wrote (Post 546483)

Money is a placeholder for actually exchanging your own goods and services for another persons goods and services. I don't need to go mop a floor or build a table for a loaf of bread, I can just hand the bread-maker cash I received for moping floors and making tables somewhere else. Money maintains its value as long as we continue to believe it has value. When we stop believing (like when consumer confidence falls), the system begins to fail.

I do and it might.

Tenspace 02-24-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Ellie Arroway wrote (Post 546466)
Tenspace, where did you learn all this?

I might have to start meeting you in Destin for drinks and biology lessons. :)

Eight... no, ten... no, holy shit, eleven years of autodidactic study. That's a word I learned here on the forums. It means self-education. With books. ;)

Tenspace 02-24-2009 05:21 PM

Quote:

Ellie Arroway wrote (Post 546466)
Tenspace, where did you learn all this?

I might have to start meeting you in Destin for drinks and biology lessons. :)

That can be arranged. But be forewarned.... I talk a lot. We'd have to have a "shut up" signal.

Kate 02-24-2009 05:23 PM

That's where the biology part comes in.

Sternwallow 02-25-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Rhinoqulous wrote (Post 546483)

"Money is just the way we keep score." unkn

VladTheImpaler 02-25-2009 01:51 AM

Here's how money works in our modern society:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...74362583451279

Philboid Studge 02-25-2009 06:07 AM

I'm going to launch a money thread soon, so keep your suspenders on boys.

Ellie Arroway 02-25-2009 02:35 PM

Egads! If what I've heard about the reserve system is true...nevermind...i'm about to hijack my own thread...

Ellie Arroway 02-25-2009 02:38 PM

Quote:

Tenspace wrote (Post 546516)
Eight... no, ten... no, holy shit, eleven years of autodidactic study. That's a word I learned here on the forums. It means self-education. With books. ;)

Too bad you're not Lawnmower Man. He had that cool system where he could just download information straight into his brain!

I've been out of college for YEARS and I have to retake my SAT's this June so I'm doing the didacticthingamajiggy myself. With books. :D It's just the math part I'm worried about. As far as the essay goes...that's a breeze...hee hee, I work for the News Journal. I'm pretty sure I know how to write an essay.

ubs 02-25-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote (Post 546584)
I'm going to launch a money thread soon, so keep your suspenders on boys.

My suspenders are off. We need a money thread. I hope your concept isn't too narrow.

psychodiva 02-25-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Ellie Arroway wrote (Post 546653)
Too bad you're not Lawnmower Man. He had that cool system where he could just download information straight into his brain!

I've been out of college for YEARS and I have to retake my SAT's this June so I'm doing the didacticthingamajiggy myself. With books. :D It's just the math part I'm worried about. As far as the essay goes...that's a breeze...hee hee, I work for the News Journal. I'm pretty sure I know how to write an essay.

I can relate- I am returning to education in September- the formal psychotherapy stuff rather than the practice I do now- It is scary!!! and my whole liefstyle is going to change :o I've started re-reading all my psych books again in case I get caught out lol

Ellie Arroway 02-25-2009 03:02 PM

Quote:

psychodiva wrote (Post 546662)
I can relate- I am returning to education in September- the formal psychotherapy stuff rather than the practice I do now- It is scary!!! and my whole liefstyle is going to change :o I've started re-reading all my psych books again in case I get caught out lol

Wow! Very cool. I'm studying biology so I can CLEP that course. I'm going to try to get my B.S. degree by 2012. I'm actually hoping to get into the University of Chicago to study anthropology because they have an extremely cool curriculum there. I just don't know how I'd pay the tuition the first year (out of state) so for now I'm going to UWF in the fall!

I wish I could just download algebra, geometry and trig straight into my brain. I'm very SCARED of math.

Rhinoqulous 02-25-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Ellie Arroway wrote (Post 546664)
I wish I could just download algebra, geometry and trig straight into my brain. I'm very SCARED of math.

Just remember, math is more scared of you than you are of it.