Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Who Is Crazier? YECs or Holocaust Deniers (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13796)

VladTheImpaler 12-14-2007 02:20 AM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 458348)
I thought you had been arguing for the fake moon landing conspiracy, but all you were doing was arguing that it was plausible that it was fake (which is utter nonsense too, but that is a separate point).

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 458348)
Why do you keep building up these strawmen? Why these blanket statements?

Can I not question a conspiracy "theory" without being accused of blindly accepting the official story every time?

You said it your self, that thinking it could be plausible that the moon landing was faked was 'utter nonsense'. If I had just assumed that this alternative was utter nonsense then there would be no need to research it. I'm not building strawmen, I'm using your own words against you. Perhaps you should spend less energy trying to make me look nonsensical and spend more time formulating your sentences so that it more accurately represents what you actually think.

nkb 12-14-2007 12:33 PM

Yes, that is what I said. I had no need to investigate the fake moon landing claims, because it immediately fails any common sense test (I already explained it early in this thread). There is no need to pursue it further.

If someone comes up with a conspiracy theory that claims that JFK was really an android from the future, and Lee Harvey Oswald was a Terminator that came back to kill him, would you investigate this claim, or would you dismiss it using common sense?

I have to admit, I have expended absolutely no energy in making you look nonsensical. That's all on you.

Professor Chaos 12-14-2007 12:34 PM

Yeah, but you're just part of the Round Earth Mafia.

Choobus 12-14-2007 12:35 PM

those fake moon landingf were very sneaky and the attention to detail was incredible, especially how tyhey actually went to the moon and put mirrors there so that when people say it was faked they could come back and say "oh yeah, then how did the mirrors get up there?". Pure genius.

CycloneRanger 12-14-2007 10:41 PM

Quote:

Choobus wrote (Post 458502)
those fake moon landingf were very sneaky and the attention to detail was incredible, especially how tyhey actually went to the moon and put mirrors there so that when people say it was faked they could come back and say "oh yeah, then how did the mirrors get up there?". Pure genius.

Ugh, this one pisses me off like no other. How the hell could anyone with access to a computer be so damn ignorant, stupid, or gullible as to believe that the moon landings never happened? Maybe it's because it's part of my area of study, but I cannot fathom why anyone would believe this. Faking a moon landing would be almost as difficult as accomplishing it for real—no, more difficult.

It is a historical fact that the technology required to go to the moon and back existed in 1969. Literally millions of people spent the previous decade designing, testing, and building it. Hundreds of millions watched the moon landing live while thousands of NASA personnel coordinated the effort from Earth. Hell, the landing craft are still there, on the surface of the moon. All of this is ignoring the tapes, photographs, and lunar material brought back.

It stupefies me in a way that not even the most absurd religious bullshit does that someone might actually believe the moon landings were faked. And I think the similarity between religion and conspiracy theories is more than superficial—in each case there is a mysterious (i.e. not understood by the believer) entity of unknown but presumably great power responsible for the whole thing. For the conspiracy theorist, that power is the government. They think of the government as a sort of mysterious entity or black box; they have no understanding of how it works or what goes on inside it. Nevermind the fact that the government isn't some monolithic and all-powerful force controlled wholly and utterly by a few morally-warped elites.

I'm not normally a violent person, but when I saw the video of Buzz Aldrin punching that asshole who confronted him with this bullshit I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Rarely has a knuckle sandwich been so richly deserved.

Choobus 12-14-2007 10:49 PM

I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic......

CycloneRanger 12-15-2007 09:22 AM

Quote:

Choobus wrote (Post 458710)
I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic......

Of course. Your post reminded me of a particularly irritating class of illogical beliefs, and this seemed an appropriate thread to discuss them. I know you don't believe that crap.

Noprayersneeded 12-15-2007 06:56 PM

nkb, we seem to be coming at the holocaust from different ends. You want to have a reason why everyone would go along with the story before you will consider anything, I really don't care why at this point. If I don't think that the gassings(I'll go with gassings rather than the more absurd death by steaming) and cremations are possible as described then that's enough to discredit the holocaust for me. What the world leaders were thinking or planning, I don't know and my guessing isn't going to amount to much. I Didn't post that one antisemetic site as proof, I was asking BEAJ about what it said about the 6 million figure. I know I don't leave my evil plans lying around so one might need to go to less than ideal places to find out my plans to take over the world. Damn I said to much.:shhh: So I'm done, I really don't find this an interesting subject to debate and I've already been procrastinating making even more cookies and getting the house ready for xmas.

Choobus 12-15-2007 10:06 PM

Quote:

CycloneRanger wrote (Post 458762)
Of course. Your post reminded me of a particularly irritating class of illogical beliefs, and this seemed an appropriate thread to discuss them. I know you don't believe that crap.

I know, I was being doubly sarcastic!

CycloneRanger 12-15-2007 10:07 PM

Quote:

Choobus wrote (Post 458853)
I know, I was being doubly sarcastic!

Alas, I've been had!

nkb 12-17-2007 10:10 AM

Quote:

Noprayersneeded wrote (Post 458831)
nkb, we seem to be coming at the holocaust from different ends. You want to have a reason why everyone would go along with the story before you will consider anything, I really don't care why at this point.

No question we are coming from different ends. I am believing accepted history, along with personal knowledge from having been born, growing up and living in Germany for ~20 years, and having talked to actual Holocaust survivors.
You are accepting assertions from some random people who run a website.

I wonder who is being more rational here.
Quote:

If I don't think that the gassings(I'll go with gassings rather than the more absurd death by steaming) and cremations are possible as described then that's enough to discredit the holocaust for me.

I'm confused on your position now. Are you saying that gassings and cremations were not possible, or didn't happen? There's a huge difference.
How are the gassings as described not possible?

Incidentally, where did you hear about death by steaming?
Quote:

What the world leaders were thinking or planning, I don't know and my guessing isn't going to amount to much.

I am not looking to you to understand what world governments were thinking. I am merely asking you for, at least, a believable reason why all the governments involved in WWII would 1) embellish, or fabricate, the Holocaust, and 2) continue the embellishment/fabrication 6 decades later.
Quote:

I Didn't post that one antisemetic site as proof, I was asking BEAJ about what it said about the 6 million figure.

Initially, that is what you did. But, correct me if I'm wrong, you posted that codoh site multiple times, in response to people's posts, implying that it was a credible site.
So, do you consider it to be a credible site or not?

Philboid Studge 12-17-2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

CycloneRanger wrote (Post 458708)
I'm not normally a violent person, but when I saw the video of Buzz Aldrin punching that asshole who confronted him with this bullshit I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. Rarely has a knuckle sandwich been so richly deserved.

I had no idea. Looks like a right cross.

Irreligious 12-17-2007 10:47 AM

It's not nice to hit people, but:

He had it comin'.

Rhinoqulous 12-17-2007 11:47 AM

That was probably the best thing I've ever seen on youtube. Good for you, Buzz.

Smellyoldgit 09-18-2009 05:37 PM

Good ol' Armoured Dinnerjacket continues his recent bout of crazy, following his probably diddled re-election.

Quote:

Speaking in the capital, Tehran, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the Holocaust was a "a lie based on an unprovable and mythical claim".
I'll wager he's a YEC as well.