Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Does God Exist? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   how can we best explain our existence ? (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16160)

Godlovesyou 06-05-2010 03:40 AM

how can we best explain our existence ?

what do you think is the cause of the existence of our universe ?

I think there are 3 options.

1. The univerese exists eternally, in one form, or the other, had no beginning.

2. The universe had a beginning, with the Big Bang, but without a cause.

3. The universe had a beginning, and therefore a cause.

If there are other options, which do not fit in one of these three categories, please name them.

If you agree, there exist basically only the above options, please explain, which option you think is most plausible, and why.

Philboid Studge 06-05-2010 04:14 AM

Since none of these explains "the cause of the existence of our universe" (especially number 3), perhaps there isn't one.

I think you're full of number 2.

Godlovesyou 06-05-2010 04:38 AM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote (Post 609665)
Since none of these explains "the cause of the existence of our universe" (especially number 3), perhaps there isn't one.

I think you're full of number 2.

So you agree with that equation ?

Nothing x Nobody = Everything ?

Sternwallow 06-05-2010 04:53 AM

Quote:

Godlovesyou wrote (Post 609664)

what do you think is the cause of the existence of our universe ?

I think there are 3 options.

1. The univerese exists eternally, in one form, or the other, had no beginning.

2. The universe had a beginning, with the Big Bang, but without a cause.

3. The universe had a beginning, and therefore a cause.

If there are other options, which do not fit in one of these three categories, please name them.

If you agree, there exist basically only the above options, please explain, which option you think is most plausible, and why.

Your terms are inadequately defined. "beginning" can be understood as a point in the eternal existence of something that coincides with the beginning of time. That would constitute a fourth possibility for your list. Hubble thought that the expanding universe was eternal while every part in it had a finite beginning ("steady-state creation"). Until the Big Bang was effectively proved, that was very plausible and would have been a fifth list item.

Your reference to a "cause" suggests a mere mechanical process akin to "The Nitrogen in this sample was caused by the decay of Carbon", with no intelligence or intentionality involved. All of the other phenomena described loosely by religionists as "creation" are merely reformation of existing stuff. Even that reformation can be shown to slavishly follow rigid laws and so is not following a design or being guided by an intelligence. Even if we all settled on #3 as most plausible, we would be not an inch nearer to the god of Abraham, nor indeed, to any god at all.

Because of the Big Bang plus the known existence of things which have beginning but no cause, I think #2 is most plausible. A cause, in the sense of item #3, is an unnecessary complication that can be deleted leaving #2 again.

Do you disagree? If so, on what basis?

Kate 06-05-2010 04:56 AM

http://ants.planet.ee/trap/einstein%...20retarded.jpg

Godlovesyou 06-05-2010 05:06 AM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote (Post 609665)
A cause, in the sense of item #3, is an unnecessary complication that can be deleted leaving #2 again.

Do you disagree? If so, on what basis?

I disagree on the simple basis that from absolutely nothing, nothing derives. Therefore, something or someone must have caused the universe.

Philboid Studge 06-05-2010 05:11 AM

Quote:

Godlovesyou wrote (Post 609669)
I disagree on the simple basis that from absolutely nothing, nothing derives.

Who are you, Billy Preston? This is an assertion, not a basis. Before you assert, define: what is "nothing"?

Quote:

Therefore, something or someone must have caused the universe.
No. Therefore you are still full of number two.

Sternwallow 06-05-2010 05:17 AM

Quote:

Godlovesyou wrote (Post 609666)
So you agree with that equation ?

Nothing x Nobody = Everything ?

I use the "=>" symbol for "Yields" rather than the equality sign which impermissibly operates bidirectionally. For example the "fuel + oxygen + heat = ash + smoke + light" equation implies that you can put some ash and smoke in a box, shine a light on it and watch a previously burned document reappear.

Noting that "Nobody" is a special case of "Nothing", the following holds:
Given that we can demonstrate "Nothing x Nothing => Something", it follows that "Nothing x Nothing => A Singularity" is entirely possible. It can be reduced to "Nothing => Something" all by itself. After all, what you call "Nothing" has mass. In fact, everything, the proper set of all particular things, if left to itself, will eventually cease to exist. The universe is not eternal into the future either.

Sternwallow 06-05-2010 05:28 AM

Quote:

Godlovesyou wrote (Post 609669)
I disagree on the simple basis that from absolutely nothing, nothing derives. Therefore, something or someone must have caused the universe.

Someone or something must exist or it cannot "cause" anything. You are making a completely unfounded assumption by calling a cause "someone" and you are making an invalid implicit assumption that "cause" is the same as "creates from nothing". Your other mistake is assuming that there is a time or place where "absolutely nothing" exists. "Nothing" is locally unstable and material is appearing and disappearing without a cause, all the time.

Your simple basis is simply and demonstrably incorrect.

Godlovesyou 06-05-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote (Post 609670)
This is an assertion, not a basis. Before you assert, define: what is "nothing"?

nothing is the absence of any thing. From absolutely nothing, nothing derives. Thats logic.

Godlovesyou 06-05-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Sternwallow wrote (Post 609671)
Given that we can demonstrate "Nothing x Nothing => Something", .

please demonstrate it.:)

Godlovesyou 06-05-2010 06:09 AM

Quote:

Sternwallow wrote (Post 609672)
"Nothing" is locally unstable .

how can nothing be unstable, if it is the absence of any thing ? :\

Philboid Studge 06-05-2010 06:37 AM

Quote:

Godlovesyou wrote (Post 609675)
nothing is the absence of any thing. From absolutely nothing, nothing derives. Thats logic.

No, thats [sic] an ass-ertion, a.k.a "logic" yanked from one's ass.

However, if everything came from God, then God herself must be "the absence of any thing." Argyle, God is nothing. Ipso fatso, God does not exist and we are in accord.

Godlovesyou 06-05-2010 06:50 AM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote (Post 609678)
No, thats [sic] an ass-ertion, a.k.a "logic" yanked from one's ass.

well, if you are have not the ability to think logically and reasonably, i cannot help you. Your vocabulary doesnt help your case either. You deserve my simpathy.

Victus 06-05-2010 07:50 AM

My understanding is that the big bang wasn't matter expanding into space-time, but space-time itself expanding from a singularity. If this is the case, then asking what caused the singularity is problematic. The entire concept of "before", and by extension cause and effect relationships, are meaningless in the context of this singularity.

That is, the existance of the universe doesn't need a cause, and if it does, there's no way for us to know what that cause was.