Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Is it possible for an Atheist to not believe in evolution (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9235)

baconeatingatheistjew 03-04-2006 02:04 PM

I say no.

Ickybod 03-04-2006 02:10 PM

I say yes. But they sure as fuck can't believe in ID

Philboid Studge 03-04-2006 02:14 PM

I think it's possible. Not every atheist is a deep-thinker, ya know. Grasping what evolution is might be beyond their ken or interest.

baconeatingatheistjew 03-04-2006 02:52 PM

I really doubt that any atheist could possibly think that man started out as man.

calpurnpiso 03-04-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Philboid Studge wrote
I think it's possible. Not every atheist is a deep-thinker, ya know. Grasping what evolution is might be beyond their ken or interest.

yes but their mental health will impede their brains from assuming absurd irrational things, specially in adulthood, as if they were possible!. The atheist, IMHO, would say " I don't know" if someone refutes evolution, and do research to educate himself/herself. Some atheists when presented with something utterly irrational and does have an asnwer to counter the absurd utterance, could be polite and say it is possible, but deep inside will not believe it and get educate on the subject....:):cool:

myst7426 03-04-2006 05:32 PM

Sure it is possible, but unlikely. There is no other explanation that explains the variety of life over time. Evolution is not dependent upon atheism or any belief structure.

So atheists who do not agree with evolution just have not done some research. It is the best explanation and has plenty of evidence. Belief, or lack thereof, in God does not matter.

baconeatingatheistjew 03-04-2006 05:56 PM

The idea that man just started out as man is impossible to justify without a belief in god and creation. What happened? Human sperm and a female egg just came out of nowhere, got together and a human was born without a pregnant chick. Or lightning, comets and neutrino's in a hostile earth environment got together and spit out a bunch of human babies.

Choobus 03-04-2006 05:58 PM

of course.

WITHTEETH 03-04-2006 06:27 PM

Skeptics don't believe in evolution, they might say it "appears" to be the most valid explination, but thats it, they don't cling to anything explination. Once you cling to a belief then it might hurt to let it go and that causes suffering.

Who knows, its certainly "possible" evolution could be wrong you know. A good scientist ( I think ) humbly says "evolution is the best explination we have so far". All science is is statistics, and we don't know everything, and correlation doesn't mean causation so anythings possible! :)

On a side note, evolution appears to be correct :)

benjaminbp18 03-05-2006 12:50 AM

I say yes. Some atheists don't care to contemlate God or evolution.

bUCKET__ 03-05-2006 01:35 AM

Most existential philosophers such as Sartre never really got very far past the Cartesian cogito, hence anything that couldn't be explained in purely subjective terms was just doubted and often ignored. Ignorance seems to be a universal prerequisite for not accepting evolution.

baconeatingatheistjew 03-05-2006 07:40 AM

Good point. I wonder what atheists thought prior ot Darwin about how humans came to be. I know that evolution does not technically deal with abiogenesis, but the two are very related. You would figure that if you had a 13th Century Atheist by the throat and asked him if humans started off as humans, how can you reconcile this into a belief that humans weren't created.

a different tim 03-05-2006 10:20 AM

There's probably some out there who reckon we were all put there by aliens or something.

Where they might think the aliens came from, I have no idea.

brad89 03-05-2006 12:33 PM

Well, you would definately have to believe in some type of evolution, if not natural selection. Like some different mechanism such as, I don't know, Lamarckian evolution. But I think they ditched Lamarckian evolution, so perhaps some mechanism we havent thought up yet.

myst7426 03-05-2006 12:36 PM

The problem is there no other plausible explanation with mountains of evidence.