Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Open Mic and General Chat (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Football Thread (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15472)

dogpet 06-24-2009 01:42 PM

The Football Thread

Fuck me! USA have just brilliantly & unexpectedly reached the final of the Confederations Cup, beating world ranked #1, unbeaten in 31 matches, current European champions, Spain, in the semeye final :o

& not a peep from you Merkins.:eh:

USA - All The Way :thumbsup:

Philboid Studge 06-24-2009 01:48 PM

Football season is months away dogpet.

nkb 06-24-2009 01:49 PM

It is an incredible feat, especially after needing a miracle to even get to this game.

Spain was actually unbeaten in 35 games, and going for the record of 36. In addition, they had won their last 15 games, and had not conceded a goal yet in this competition.

Now, if the USA could just repeat something like this when it really counts (2010), I would be that much more impressed.

dogpet 06-24-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 561557)
Now, if the USA could just repeat something like this when it really counts (2010), I would be that much more impressed.

It really counts now nkb, you are a hard man. Will you be supporting USA or zee faterland if both qualify? The winners of this get a free pass.

nkb 06-24-2009 02:09 PM

Winners of the Confederations Cup qualify for 2010? That's the first time I've heard that. Are you sure?

Growing up, the US national team, for all intents and purposes, didn't exist, so I've always been a Germany fan.

I support both, but when they meet (like they did in the 2002 quarterfinals), I am with the Vaterland. Can't help it, it's probably all the childhood indoctrination.;)

nkb 06-24-2009 02:16 PM

You're right, dogpet, I should probably be a little less cynical, and give credit where it's due.

The US team beat the top-ranked team in the world, in a legitimate competition, and it's not like Spain were playing their scrubs (based on their lineup, they had most of their big guns like Villa, Torres, etc in there).

dogpet 06-24-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 561560)
Winners of the Confederations Cup qualify for 2010? That's the first time I've heard that. Are you sure?

No I'm talking shite, must have misheard because of all those bloody trumpets. :blush:

I'll support the Boche if they meet Engerland.

nkb 06-24-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 561563)
I'll support the Boche if they meet Engerland.

:lol: I haven't checked, how is Scotland doing in qualifying?

Smellyoldgit 06-24-2009 02:28 PM

I don't think the winners qualify for the World Cup (which surprisingly does include the whole world).
It's more of a warm-up runaround for the six regional championship winners - plus the current world champs and the upcoming host nation.
I'm trying to wangle time off work next year to go to the real cup.
Sad bastard.

Edit - Dogpet is now officially a Jock Twat, and his opinions on football should be ridiculed. :bird:

dogpet 06-24-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 561562)
The US team beat the top-ranked team in the world, in a legitimate competition, and it's not like Spain were playing their scrubs (based on their lineup, they had most of their big guns like Villa, Torres, etc in there).

They certainly did, & this is a top FIFA supported tournament now.

dogpet 06-24-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

nkb wrote (Post 561565)
:lol: I haven't checked, how is Scotland doing in qualifying?

Not good, might scrape into the playoffs useless cunts.

Smellyoldgit 06-24-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

On describing Scottish football, dogpet wrote
useless cunts

Perhaps he does know his stuff after all.

dogpet 06-25-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 561566)
I'm trying to wangle time off work next year to go to the real cup.

Good luck on that Smelly, I'll think of you during the penalty shoot out.

Smellyoldgit 06-25-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 561908)
I'll think of you during the penalty shoot out.

I keep having awful flashbacks of Southgate, Pearce & Grassgroin.

Not much Merkin comment on their splendid wupping of a full strength Brother Spaniard is there?!

nkb 06-25-2009 02:58 PM

Most people here don't give a shit about the real football. In fact, I may be the only Merkin here who follows it, mainly because I grew up outside of the influence of American football.

Brazil vs USA. Who do you think will win? I can't imagine Brazil stumbling against the US team, but then I didn't expect Spain to lose either.