Raving Atheists Forum

Raving Atheists Forum (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/index.php)
-   Sciences (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Friday Things Change (http://ravingatheists.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17279)

dstallma 02-16-2015 06:58 PM

Friday Things Change

Friday I am planning on having myself poisoned. :o Please keep me in your thoughts but prayers are not necessary. :sick:

ghoulslime 02-16-2015 09:00 PM

You will be in my thoughts. I hope this poison has a greater purpose than to simply poison.

Kinich Ahau 02-17-2015 12:24 AM

Let me guess, you're a southern comfort drinker. :)

Michael 02-17-2015 02:04 AM

Botox?

Sinfidel 02-17-2015 05:56 AM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682609)
Friday I am planning on having myself poisoned. :o Please keep me in your thoughts but prayers are not necessary. :sick:

Chemo? :(

Smellyoldgit 02-17-2015 08:34 AM

Getting steaming piss drunk?

https://img.thewhiskyexchange.com/540/liq_poi1.jpg

dstallma 02-17-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 682618)
Chemo? :(

Ding, Ding, Ding

AtomJack 02-17-2015 06:08 PM

Chemo is hell; my youngest brother wouldn't quit smoking when he had the chance. The cancer may have showed up anyway, he'd been smoking since he was something like 14, and he'll be 51 soon. He had surgery first (laryngeal cancer), then had to undergo chemo and radiation starting about this time a year ago. Messed him up pretty well. I hope yours goes better, though I won't be offering up any prayers; just make sure you have good doctors.

dstallma 02-17-2015 07:51 PM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682623)
Chemo is hell; my youngest brother wouldn't quit smoking when he had the chance. The cancer may have showed up anyway, he'd been smoking since he was something like 14, and he'll be 51 soon. He had surgery first (laryngeal cancer), then had to undergo chemo and radiation starting about this time a year ago. Messed him up pretty well. I hope yours goes better, though I won't be offering up any prayers; just make sure you have good doctors.

Mine is breast cancer. They wanted to do a mastectomy but after an offhand comment, they were able to do a lumpectomy along with a bilateral breast reduction. So now at 56 my breasts point to the ceiling and not to the floor. :cool:
Now chemo and later radiation.
I think I have good doctors so we will see how it goes.

AtomJack 02-17-2015 08:38 PM

I wish you all the breast. Sorry, I'm a real punmeister and couldn't resist, especially since this is a triple entendre.

AtomJack 02-17-2015 08:43 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682619)

I'd try a sip of that, just for GP, but I like my berries fresh. I drank a bottle of ale made by Stone Brewing called "Ruination IPA", once. How can one ever pass that up, for at least one try? I wasn't all that happy with it; the hops were so astringent it reminded of a bar of soap, like my momma washed my mouth out with once, as a kid. I like my scotch non-peaty, for the same reason.

dstallma 02-17-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682628)
I wish you all the breast. Sorry, I'm a real punmeister and couldn't resist, especially since this is a triple entendre.

Puns are good. Everyone at work is tippy toeing around saying how well I am holding up. Me, I go around saying I an having myself poisoned and telling them how much I look forward to the chemo since it might help me lose weight. If I have to do it I might as well get some entertainment out of it.

I trust the doctors and medical science. Everything will be OK.

Should we start a bet on how much hair I will be losing? :angel:

dstallma 02-17-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682629)
I'd try a sip of that, just for GP, but I like my berries fresh. I drank a bottle of ale made by Stone Brewing called "Ruination IPA", once. How can one ever pass that up, for at least one try? I wasn't all that happy with it; the hops were so astringent it reminded of a bar of soap, like my momma washed my mouth out with once, as a kid. I like my scotch non-peaty, for the same reason.

At least this poison does not have to be injected directly in my veins.

Kate 02-18-2015 06:57 AM

Private message...

Smellyoldgit 02-18-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682629)
..... I drank a bottle of ale made by Stone Brewing called "Ruination IPA", once. How can one ever pass that up, for at least one try? I wasn't all that happy with it; the hops were so astringent it reminded of a bar of soap, ....

Ahh, good ol' murrikan 'craft' brewing eh? The art of trying to get some sort of flavour into over-chilled fizz. Loads of bitter tasting hops or acidic fruits - hence the abundance of IPAs & fruit beers. The base beer is still pasteurised, filtered, gas infused, almost frozen keg swill, so the 'crafting' would be so much easier if the advertisers stopped telling the largely gullible consumers how they like their beer cold.

..... but then the Bud Light fans may realise just what piss they've been chugging for decades.

Smellyoldgit 02-18-2015 09:06 AM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682631)
If I have to do it I might as well get some entertainment out of it.

I trust the doctors and medical science. Everything will be OK.

Should we start a bet on how much hair I will be losing? :angel:

A local hospital where a chum of mine had chemo & radiation is now affectionately known as Chernobyl.

I can guarantee the Docs & supporting staff are far more trustworthy than any faith 'healer' or snake-oil salesman - unless of course you're at the Burzynski Clinic, then you need to be concerned. :hand:

Hair? - fuck that - so vastly overrated! :(

dstallma 02-18-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682639)
A local hospital where a chum of mine had chemo & radiation is now affectionately known as Chernobyl.

I can guarantee the Docs & supporting staff are far more trustworthy than any faith 'healer' or snake-oil salesman - unless of course you're at the Burzynski Clinic, then you need to be concerned. :hand:

Hair? - fuck that - so vastly overrated! :(

That clinic is scary. At least it is in Houston not Dallas a good 350 miles away.

It is bad enough that the hospital is the "Methodist Dallas Medical Center". At least no one stopped by to pray over me.

FYI - Port is in and I am ready for the chemo.

Hey, I like my hair. I get lots of complements.

Kate 02-18-2015 06:03 PM

I liked my port. It looked like a giant trilobite in the bone scans :D

Kate 02-18-2015 06:10 PM

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Trilobit...schachti-L.jpg

dstallma 02-18-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Kate wrote (Post 682647)
I liked my port. It looked like a giant trilobite in the bone scans :D

ROFLMAO - I will have to check my scans.

AtomJack 02-18-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682638)
Ahh, good ol' murrikan 'craft' brewing eh? The art of trying to get some sort of flavour into over-chilled fizz. Loads of bitter tasting hops or acidic fruits - hence the abundance of IPAs & fruit beers. The base beer is still pasteurised, filtered, gas infused, almost frozen keg swill, so the 'crafting' would be so much easier if the advertisers stopped telling the largely gullible consumers how they like their beer cold.

..... but then the Bud Light fans may realise just what piss they've been chugging for decades.

Hmm...IPA, no. Great hops, no. Fruit, NO. I don't know what you get there from this side of the pond, but Stone Brewing makes a good product. Bud...anything?!? That is piss. Maybe a bottle of Arrogant Bastard Ale may make its way to you there in the archipelago, and maybe you will enjoy it. I favor it over Guinness, but again, that is a personal taste. I'm new here; are you just automatically assuming that "good ol' murrikan 'craft' brewing" is all that bad?

Kate 02-19-2015 05:33 AM

/grabs some popcorn and a beer....

Smellyoldgit 02-19-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682650)
.... are you just automatically assuming that "good ol' murrikan 'craft' brewing" is all that bad?

Not at all. Having spent loads of time in the States, I've sampled many 'crafted' beers. The brewers are trying to break the mould of mass produced over-chilled piss, but most still chill the stuff far too much which of course deadens the taste buds! They're just making the job harder.

I'm from the land of locally produced traditional ales - unpasteurised, unfiltered, lightly cooled, ungassed, huge variety of taste and no huge corporate shareholders to deal with.

As for guinness ..... :vomit: .... I wonder how much they'd sell without the advertising.

Smellyoldgit 02-19-2015 07:48 AM

https://alienseries.files.wordpress..../untitled1.png

Kate 02-19-2015 09:53 AM

:\ Yeah, that's about right with all the hook-ups and attachments.

ghoulslime 02-19-2015 03:48 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682621)
Ding, Ding, Ding

Power up, dstallma! Take it like a gladiator.

ghoulslime 02-19-2015 03:50 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682652)
Not at all. Having spent loads of time in the States, I've sampled many 'crafted' beers. The brewers are trying to break the mould of mass produced over-chilled piss, but most still chill the stuff far too much which of course deadens the taste buds! They're just making the job harder.

I'm from the land of locally produced traditional ales - unpasteurised, unfiltered, lightly cooled, ungassed, huge variety of taste and no huge corporate shareholders to deal with.

As for guinness ..... :vomit: .... I wonder how much they'd sell without the advertising.

I think we need to meet in Portland Oregon some time very soon for a visit to Rogue and Deschutes breweries. (We can warm your beers up, and piss in them a little bit to make you feel right at home.)

AtomJack 02-19-2015 04:30 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682653)

Lol, back on topic, I see!

Smellyoldgit 02-20-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682659)
Lol, back on topic, I see!

:blush:
Only fair I suppose - there are quite a few beer threads buried in the bowels .... somewhere ....

dstallma 02-20-2015 08:43 AM

Poisoning process has started. So far so good.

Kate 02-20-2015 09:24 AM

Yeeeeeeeeee haw!

Sinfidel 02-20-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682667)
:blush:
Only fair I suppose - there are quite a few beer threads buried in the bowels .... somewhere ....

Bowels?....sure you didn't mean bladders? :eh:

dogpet 02-20-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682668)
Poisoning process has started. So far so good.

That's life! Blame the parents. :\:heart:

dstallma 02-20-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 682671)
That's life! Blame the parents. :\:heart:

Blame them or poison them? :P

dstallma 02-20-2015 02:19 PM

Finished just before noon. We then went and got massages and afterwards ate at Black Eyed Pea. No nausea yet. I took a thermos of hot herbal mint tea with me. I think that might have helped.

Kate 02-20-2015 02:51 PM

Ginger gum is nice.

dogpet 02-20-2015 03:49 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682672)
Blame them or poison them? :P

Depends.

Smellyoldgit 02-20-2015 05:37 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682673)
I took a thermos of hot herbal mint tea with me.

Are you trying to induce nausea?
Try taking a flask of Drambuie to the next session - you won't feel a thing - honest!

dstallma 02-20-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682677)
Are you trying to induce nausea?
Try taking a flask of Drambuie to the next session - you won't feel a thing - honest!

Do you think they would notice? :D

dstallma 02-20-2015 06:45 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 682675)
Depends.

I don't need "Depends" yet.

Smellyoldgit 02-20-2015 06:54 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682680)
Do you think they would notice? :D

Probably not until you started singing!
But on a less jovial note, I understood that a tried & tested anti-nausea infusion preceeded the flow of toxic sludge at chemo sessions. I'll never accept that mint tea could do anything useful other than as an emetic. :eh:

dstallma 02-20-2015 08:32 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682682)
Probably not until you started singing!
But on a less jovial note, I understood that a tried & tested anti-nausea infusion preceeded the flow of toxic sludge at chemo sessions. I'll never accept that mint tea could do anything useful other than as an emetic. :eh:

You pick your poison and I will pick mine.:cool:

Sinfidel 02-21-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682684)
You pick your poison and I will pick mine.:cool:

Isn't one of the justifications for medical marijuana its anti-nausea effect?
An MJ cookie with the mint tea? :shhh:

dstallma 02-21-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Sinfidel wrote (Post 682692)
Isn't one of the justifications for medical marijuana its anti-nausea effect?
An MJ cookie with the mint tea? :shhh:

Hmmm, might need to find a dealer. :angel:

dstallma 02-26-2015 09:18 PM

Well margarita's are out. I can't taste salt and I am not allowed to drink alcohol. Also peppermint tea now taste terrible. At least the lemonade is OK.

Smellyoldgit 02-27-2015 03:29 AM

Maybe taste loss is why Burzynski gets away with deriving his antineoplastins from piss!
..... but it can't be all bad if peppermint tea improves to the level of terrible.

Davin 02-27-2015 06:57 AM

I hope everything went well.

dstallma 02-27-2015 09:06 PM

Everything did go well. Now I have to put up with the side effects.

dstallma 03-05-2015 06:46 AM

Hair

Hair is already falling out 2 weeks after the first Chemo. Should have set up a betting pool. :rolleyes:

Oh well, the Irish Festival is this weekend so I will probably buy a Tam.

Smellyoldgit 03-05-2015 07:23 AM

Hair is overrated.
A mate of mine lost the lot after chemo and he still claimed to have more than me!
.... he got better .... :thumbsup:

ghoulslime 03-05-2015 05:12 PM

Who the hell needs hair anyway? I started shaving my head as soon as I started turning gray.

AtomJack 03-05-2015 06:51 PM

Yeah, my youngest brother (aged 50) didn't stop pounding those coffin nails even after one of his brothers (and BOTH parents died from tobacco). He had surgery, chemo and radiation around this time last year. He still does not have armpit or neck hair. His tracheotomy hole is finally healed shut. He had that for a year, in constant pain. He ended up in the hospital many times with nausea and vomiting during the chemo and radiation. Got dehydrated, etc. I do hope your regimen goes better.

dstallma 03-05-2015 07:12 PM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682843)
Who the hell needs hair anyway? I started shaving my head as soon as I started turning gray.

As a female I had a beautiful head of thick gray hair. Baldness does not interest me.

dstallma 03-05-2015 07:13 PM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682844)
Yeah, my youngest brother (aged 50) didn't stop pounding those coffin nails even after one of his brothers (and BOTH parents died from tobacco). He had surgery, chemo and radiation around this time last year. He still does not have armpit or neck hair. His tracheotomy hole is finally healed shut. He had that for a year, in constant pain. He ended up in the hospital many times with nausea and vomiting during the chemo and radiation. Got dehydrated, etc. I do hope your regimen goes better.

I hope so too. How is your brother doing now?

dstallma 03-05-2015 07:17 PM

I had a great time today. I kept telling everyone at work that the job was so stressful that I was pulling my hair out. Then I demonstrated by pulling my hair out. You should have seen the look on their faces. :angel:

FYI - Half my hair is gone since morning.

AtomJack 03-05-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682846)
I hope so too. How is your brother doing now?

Semi-OK. It may be that the big C is coming back to get him. Tobacco is a nasty substance with a huge enabling presence behind it.

AtomJack 03-05-2015 09:38 PM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682847)
I had a great time today. I kept telling everyone at work that the job was so stressful that I was pulling my hair out. Then I demonstrated by pulling my hair out. You should have seen the look on their faces. :angel:

FYI - Half my hair is gone since morning.

You are a wicked thing, aren't you? I like that.

Interestingly enough, since I retired last October, my hair is starting to grow back. I commuted many miles from home and worked out of town away from family for decades. Pretty stressful, I guess. But when one is inside the bottle, it just seems like business as usual, and I didn't think about that. My wife had a nasty infection about 4 years ago, and was taking some serious antibiotics. Her hair was falling out from the antibiotics- first time I'd ever heard of that, but I've only had what I would guess were "mild" antibiotics, or infections.

Save your hair and have it made into a wig, if you can, as it will be natural-looking for you. I guess maybe you should find a female perspective on this, since I'm just another greasy guy who may not be providing decent feedback.

dstallma 03-05-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682849)
You are a wicked thing, aren't you? I like that.

Interestingly enough, since I retired last October, my hair is starting to grow back. I commuted many miles from home and worked out of town away from family for decades. Pretty stressful, I guess. But when one is inside the bottle, it just seems like business as usual, and I didn't think about that. My wife had a nasty infection about 4 years ago, and was taking some serious antibiotics. Her hair was falling out from the antibiotics- first time I'd ever heard of that, but I've only had what I would guess were "mild" antibiotics, or infections.

Save your hair and have it made into a wig, if you can, as it will be natural-looking for you. I guess maybe you should find a female perspective on this, since I'm just another greasy guy who may not be providing decent feedback.

I think wigs are filthy thing. It will be hat and scarves for me.

Maybe I'll get a henna crown.

http://rats-funnybone.com/wp-content...o-crowns-1.jpg

dogpet 03-06-2015 05:03 PM

Nice. Vanity is a sin doncha know.

dstallma 03-06-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 682856)
Nice. Vanity is a sin doncha know.

What is this "sin" you speak of?

AtomJack 03-06-2015 08:04 PM

The henna appears to raise the skin. Is that so? I don't want any injection, ever, unless medically necessary. I served in the US Navy and never even got a tattoo. Lots of guys did, but that is not something I ever wanted.

dstallma 03-06-2015 08:30 PM

Quote:

AtomJack wrote (Post 682859)
The henna appears to raise the skin. Is that so? I don't want any injection, ever, unless medically necessary. I served in the US Navy and never even got a tattoo. Lots of guys did, but that is not something I ever wanted.

Not raised skin, just thick paint/henna. Only temporary. It will wear off after a while. It is just a way to feel unique in a difficult situation.

dogpet 03-07-2015 01:49 AM

Quote:

dstallma wrote (Post 682858)
What is this "sin" you speak of?

sin tan cos :). How much does a henna cap cost to have done?

dstallma 03-07-2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 682865)
sin tan cos :). How much does a henna cap cost to have done?

I haven't checked into cost yet. It is still just a thought.

http://haus.pbworks.com/f/trig_sin_cos_tan.gif

dogpet 03-07-2015 05:28 PM

Who would know - sin is an angel!:)

dstallma 03-07-2015 07:57 PM

My sister (in red) shaved her head in solidarity when she found out I was loosing my hair. Funny enough, it is kinda hard to tell that I am almost bald in this picture. You have to look very close.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...fc6db3c4f224f3

Smellyoldgit 03-08-2015 06:59 AM

Godammit - 'bald' and you've still got more than me!

ghoulslime 03-08-2015 08:54 AM

What a great sister! This morning, when I shave my head, I will also do it in solidarity with you. :)

dstallma 03-08-2015 01:15 PM

Quote:

Smellyoldgit wrote (Post 682884)
Godammit - 'bald' and you've still got more than me!

Yes, and Thursday I had 100 times that amount.

dstallma 03-08-2015 01:16 PM

Quote:

ghoulslime wrote (Post 682888)
What a great sister! This morning, when I shave my head, I will also do it in solidarity with you. :)

Much appreciated.

AtomJack 03-09-2015 05:58 PM

Chemo and radiation will do that. I hope you don't have as much trouble with it as my youngest brother did. My wife had an intestinal bug that required some serious antibiotics a few years ago. I've never been sick enough (well, a ruptured appendix didn't kill me) that I had antibiotics long enough to have a reaction like hair falling out, which she did. The bug she got was Clostridium Dificile, one nasty little thing. This one comes through the air and lands on damp items, then multiplies. In your condition, I would recommend making sure that dish cloths and such be removed and cleaned as soon as they are used not left to even grow mildew. I believe that that is how she got this infection. It almost killed her. It's been four years, and she still has digestive problems.

ghoulslime 03-14-2015 04:51 AM

When I shaved my head today, I did it in solidarity with you, dstallma! I even went to church, and posed for my photo!

http://www.poetryring.com/ra/GSinChurch.jpg

dogpet 03-20-2015 04:20 PM

You could at least have stuffed something down your trousers.

ghoulslime 03-20-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

dogpet wrote (Post 683005)
You could at least have stuffed something down your trousers.

A passing priest tried to stuff his hand down my trousers, if that is any consolation. ;)

Michael 03-20-2015 10:48 PM

All I am seeing is a giant gold alien lording it over you

Michael 03-20-2015 10:59 PM

http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...image.jpg1.jpg

Edit: this probably would have worked better next to my other post and not on a new page.

Kate 03-21-2015 02:17 PM

Go to your user CP settings and put more posts per page. These posts are on the same page for me :)

Kinich Ahau 03-21-2015 05:02 PM

It must be an Aussie thing, always set on default. I'm the same as michaeL

On Ghouls picture. What's with all the barriers? People aren't queuing like a bank to open an account are they? Or maybe it's to slow you down if you try and make off with some gold.

ghoulslime 03-21-2015 05:27 PM

Quote:

Kinich Ahau wrote (Post 683028)
It must be an Aussie thing, always set on default. I'm the same as michaeL

On Ghouls picture. What's with all the barriers? People aren't queuing like a bank to open an account are they? Or maybe it's to slow you down if you try and make off with some gold.

Um...I was under the impression that they were there to help guide the queue of people standing in line to take a piss in the bowl that was on one side. I may have misunderstood the concept altogether. Anyway, I filled their bowl for them, so it was a win/win situation.

AtomJack 03-21-2015 07:30 PM

Quote:

Michael wrote (Post 683021)
http://i1087.photobucket.com/albums/...image.jpg1.jpg

Edit: this probably would have worked better next to my other post and not on a new page.

Looks like Cthulhu, or something.