Thread: Just Curious
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #43
Michael
Obsessed Member

(note - I've added some numbers for easy reference. Read on to see why!)

Quote:
Egor wrote View Post
Well, let’s talk about that then. If we go all the way back to the singularity before the big bang, and even if we go back to before there was a physical singularity,3 why would anything come into existence if it were not willed in some way into existence? 4 The simplest answer is that there must be some causative agent that wanted it to occur. 5 It wouldn’t just happen for no reason at all.6 It wouldn’t just pop into existence for nothing out of nothing. 7 To consider that so is magical thinking. It’s easier to suppose some kind of intelligent creator.

1 The universe would, in fact, be an object. God would be the ultimate set and the universe would be a subset of God.

What I’m saying is that it’s the simplest possible solution that could give us a universe. That is that an intelligent willful agent caused the universe to begin.

The big question is, of course, how could God just “be” without ever having been created. I propose that God cannot even answer that question. Like a limit in calculus, that answer is eternally approached but never resolved. 8 I propose that God does not know why He exists. It is, in fact, impossible knowledge.

I definitely feel your pain on this one. Unfortunately, the physical universe doesn’t fit the bill. It apparently had a beginning or was set in motion by some prime mover. 3 However, God can’t exist somewhere “outside” the universe; I agree. That is why I do not believe in the Christian revelation of God. I believe, instead, in a monistic concept of God. That is that all that exists is God. There is nothing but God. There is no universe apart from God. There is no separation.

Tonight I’ll go to sleep and have a dream; I do every night. There will be people and things in that dream. There will be a sky, buildings, a street, gravity, light, wind, all of that, no doubt. But all of that will only be my mind. The mind of a man sleeping in a bed. 2 The universe, therefore, is simply a thought God is having. Nothing more. 9 We are characters in his imaginings, nothing more.
Okay, I think I get what you're trying to say, but unfortunately you do seem to be a little all over the place.
For my own clarification, this is what I'm getting from you:

So basically you seem to be saying that universe (and subsequently everything in the Universe) is God [1], and that we don't really exist beyond being a thought in god's head,[2] but god only exists inside the universe that he is thinking of[3]. For the same reason that I exist outside of my thoughts about food and sex. (Sure, I think of them, they are a part of me, but I exist outside of those thoughts), and since you have claimed that you believe nothing can exist outside of the universe[3], you imply that no god exists to "think" the universe into existance in the first place. And once again if he does, he has to exist somewhere. So where?

You then go on to say that whatever is thinking of this universe in a place that doesn't exist couldn't have come about without something causing it to exist [3, 4. 5]. I suppose you could get around this by saying that "god willed itself into existance before it even existed" [6 (oh yeah and see 7)], and would most likely then have a reason for why he/she/it did such, except God doesn't know why it exists [8], which would rule out itself as it's creator.

So we have a universe that doesn't actually exist [9], that is actually only a thought of a "god" that only exists inside it's own thoughts, but also exists enough to have internal thoughts in the first place, exists nowhere and had to be created, but didn't create itself, doesn't know why it was created but also can't have been created by something else because then we get infinite regress.

You're not making sense.