View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 AM   #35
southern_freethinker

So, regarding Global Warming as a religion aside, here's a bigger question. If we can have only scant effect on global warming no matter what we do, is it worth the trillions of dollars and higher taxes and curtailing our behaviors for only a token mitigation of the effect? Or maybe we can just (as Bjorn Lomborg says) just work around it and go on with our lives. After all, the eruptions of Mt. Pinatubo and Mt. St. Helens put more greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere than all the effects of the Industrial Age combined. Whatever global warming there is is vastly due more to nature (volcanoes, solar effects, etc.) than the puny amount we humans are contributing. Capitalist Pig that I am, I don't want to see any more of my income or savings diverted to lofty but unattainable goals...tilting at windmills or "fixing" global warming. Tell it to China and India...they're pumping out WAY more CO2 than we are. What do you think their reply would be? "OH, so sorry...OK, we stop now." Yeah, good luck.