Thread: Speciation
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
Ellie Arroway

Thank you for all your responses.

I'm really having trouble with evolution. I mean, I'm agnostic but it just seems way to convenient that, for example, just happened to evolve lungs to breath the oxygen in the air. From what I read in Sagan's book Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors, a very long time ago there was no oxygen. So when oxygen became abundant and hominids were roaming the earth at what point did the organism that was our common ancestor decide it needed lungs. And where did it get the information to build lungs. And where are all these eukaryotic cells getting all their information on how to "run." Everything seems like a machine and it seems "designed." I"m sorry but I seriously cannot get away from thinking this. If there was a god I don't think it would have emotions or be anything like what religious folk thing "God" is. I would guess it would just be "the intelligent force of nature that encompases everything." It just seems like the whole planet is one big symbiotic well oiled machine and what I want to know is where the hell does all this intelligence in nature come from? Cells don't have brains so how did we all evolve from a single celled organism with no brain?

I'm not trying to prove god exists, I'm just saying, I"m not buying into evolution from a common ancestor. And I'm reading this book http://www.oupcanada.com/catalog/9780199255634.html

so I'm not just lightly skimming literature.