View Single Post
Old 12-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #246
Michael
Obsessed Member

Hi, Egor!

Let's just jump straight to my reply.

Quote:
Michael wrote
[note - for the purposes of this I am going to come from the angle of thinking that "god is real and wrote the bible"]

1 - God wanted us to find the inaccuracies.
2 - God wanted us to question said inaccuracies.

We can, then, from that, suppose that god wants us to question the bible.

Quote:
Egor wrote
Well, of course. Seriously, you didn’t know that?
Not believing in god I don't tend to think about what a fictional character would supposedly want with the book he didn't actually write.

However, all the christians I've dealt with would probably stone you for death for even suggesting it (this is totally your cue to play the "no true christian" line).

It wasn't until you claimed it that I had seen it as a proposal. But, you're not contesting it, so let's move on.

Quote:
egor wrote
Maybe the vast majority of them have failed. But they are still saved.
Naaaaaaaaah. That makes no sense. "You failed miserably at what I wanted from you, but I'll save you anyway". That's not the god you keep telling us about.

Quote:
egor wrote
They don’t have to unravel all the mysteries of the Gospel. That’s my job and the job of some other people, too. Maybe even you if you turn and repent before you die and go to hell.
Dumbledore save us if you ever actually end up telling people how to think about the gospels. We've got enough dangerous lunatics as it is, without more people subscribing to your idiocy.

Nicely done on the honey-pot trap at the end there, though, playing to my ego. Always a powerful trick when people don't understand it.

Quote:
Michael wrote
Now, I don't have time right now but I'm sure I could find a bible verse to support this idea. Though that would mean actually reading the bible and if I'm being honest, it's a boring read. I mean, it's no Harry Potter.
Quote:
Egor wrote
Some lines just bear repeating: “… it's a boring read. I mean, it's no Harry Potter.”
I'm guessing from the context of your statement there, that you don't understand what's going on with what I said. Which is fair enough, let me explain.

I didn't review gods on a case-by-case basis then dismiss them. My personal view is to reject the idea of any supernatural will being involved in the creation of existance (for lack of a better way of putting it). That means that any religion that suggests a creator god is flatly rejected by me.
I feel no need to read or know anything about the bible, the torah, or any of those in order to reject it flat.

So when I said that, I was saying that yes, I consider The Bible to be a fictional book, in the same bane as Lord of The Rings or Harry Potter - I make little distinction.
However, The Bible is a really dry, boring read. If I were to take another clearly fictional story, and write it in the same manner as the bible and try to sell it, no-one would read it. It really isn't a well written story. Hence my saying what I said. I didn't hide it.

However, you seem to take this to....well, it looks like you're flabbergasted at my saying this. Almost a "See what I mean? He is rejecting holy word for satan's word!". That's not what it's about.

Then curiously, you accuse me of doing exactly what I just did - consider the book just a book.
However, you appear to be taking something that I have freely admitted (though seemingly passed over your head) and accusing me of it as though it's some big revelation. Some big cover-up.

Quote:
Egor wrote
I don’t know why you bother, really. What do you care about the Bible? You don’t even believe in God.
Quote:
Egor wrote
Until you believe in God, The Bible is just another book on the shelf to you.
Quote:
Egor wrote
It would have been better if I had just said, “You don’t believe in God, so don’t worry about the Bible.”

You're right, I don't care about the bible. It means so very, very little to me. And you will find mostly when it comes to arguing about specifics in holy scriptures, I won't weigh in too heavily because I just couldn't give a fuck.

I'm more interested in arguments about the logic and ideology in regards to a supernatural will. Sometimes these things overlap, and when they do I get involved.

Such was the case here, where you created your desired end goal (a way to explain the differing geneologies - it seems you chose "well this is what god wanted all along!") and then forced your logic and twisted your facts to fit that. This is not a good way to do things, hence my pointing out the flaws of attempting it.

It's weird you didn't understand this.
I'm thinking you did but don't have a better way of rebutting my complete and utter destuction of your logic time after time, so tried (once again) to twist facts to suit your needs.

And once again you failed.

Quote:
Michael wrote
So you can't have it both ways. Either god is telling us to question his word, or he's telling us to believe it wholly. You can't have it one way when it suits you and then the other when it suits you, even though I have no doubt that (should you be man enough to answer) will try to do this. You'll be very slippery about it too, no doubt.

Or you'll just try and brush this off, and we'll know you've got nothing. Either way, as far as I'm concerned, you failed.

Quote:
Egor wrote
You’re babbling.

Quote:
Egor wrote
Slippery or not, the Bible is for me, not for you. The Bible is for believers.

You are really bad at this. How is it that we can destroy your logic time and time again and yet you still keep trying the same thing? I mean you haven't scored a single point in this yet, but you keep coming back with the same old deluded, proven-to-be-wrong crap. Every time, we show you how your thinking is insanely flawed, but you keep bringing it back so we can rip you apart again. I thought you'd get sick of losing, but I guess not.

I really am thinking it's a domination fetish. I'm guessing when you finally give in to that suppressed homo-eroticism a lot of christians seem to have, you'll be a catcher, rather than a pitcher.
Heck, maybe you are already, I don't know you in real life.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote