View Single Post
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #18
mmfwmc

Quote:
Gnosital wrote View Post
I believe the post refers to interference with HOSPITAL devices, not to a concentrated mass of peoples on an airplane turning on their cellophones all at once on a runway causing interference with other wireless communication devices.
The evidence for cell phone interference in aircraft is circumstantial and debatable. The FAA won't allow it until the airlines perform rigorous tests and the airlines see no return on investment as long as no one else can.

Even if the FAA backs down, the FCC will still have a problem. When a cell phone is on the ground it has only one "closest tower" but in the air it could have several equally proximal towers. A few aircraft full of passengers with phones switched on could seriously mess up the mobile phone system.

I'm happy since I don't really feel the need to talk to anyone on the plane and people talking right beside you can get irritating. The girl next to me on the train on thursday spent half the trip jabbering on her cellphone in spanish.

To make up for it she spent the rest of the trip talking to me in a spanish accent, so I wasn't too upset.