View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #4631
Hobotronic2037

Quote:
Noodle wrote View Post
I may have been a bit dishonest there. To be clear, I do think reducing easy access to guns would reduce the overall murder rate in the US. Whether that's achievable through legislation is a different question.
I mean, again, I get why people would think this logically. One thing I’ve noticed is that everyone on this issue has their own pet data and whatnot to back it up. I mean that said, you can find charts that show US gun ownership at historic highs and US homicide rates at near historic lows. So I could logically also say that easier access to guns reduces murder. I just think that both correlations are probably overly simplistic. I think it should be VERY easy to get guns except for non-felons, maybe foreign nationals, and maybe some who are, through due process, identified as a danger to themselves and others. I don’t think mental illness should be blanket vilified or the mentally ill should be blanket discriminated against. Again, due process on a case by case basis. I’m not opposed to a screening process but am opposed to the government retaining information about who owns what guns. And if given the power they will do this. Even if they say they don’t. We know straight up we can’t trust our government to do, well, just about anything right, including protect us. Though perhaps some king of reverse blockchain could be employed to remedy privacy concerns. Idk.
Hobotronic2037 is offline   Reply With Quote