Thread: The sun
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #27
whoneedscience

Quote:
ProveIt wrote
When you do find the time... can you also PLEASE point out where I have debated any of that except to say that I'M NOT DEBATING IT. They are two different things... What is not clear about that. Do they work together... Yes. What is it that I'm saying that makes it unclear that I'm not freakin debating what you all are spouting????
PocketRocket insinuated that cultural evolution is more important than biological. I don't really see that one is more important than the other as both offer answers for two, similar, but very different things. What I was getting at is that he has pretty much asked the age old question... which came first the chicken or the egg. Is it necessary to have cultural evolution before biological evolution or biological before cultural? I surmise that it is in our best interest to view biological as the basis and cultural as a sub (it is a short cut, isn't it?). This is what I meant by 'trump'; as in importance of (which does fit... even if you don't care for the way that I used it).
Yes, yes, the unfortunate thing about dealing with some people who completely lack the ability to think (i.e Carico, Salty) is that ad hominem becomes an expected part of any small disagreement. I would maintain that biological and cultural evolution are, in an exciting sense, both the same thing, despite working very differently, but these are, of course, mostly meaningless ruminations.

What I was trying to do was point out that both your view of cultural evolution being a kind of subcategory building off of biological evolution, and Rocket's view of cultural evolution's rapid speed were not necessarily mutually exclusive unless you look at them dogmatically: one being somehow more truthy. I think both of you are looking at this a bit too dogmatically, although Rocket also makes some incomplete points to try to back his up.

oh, and:
Quote:
ProveIt wrote
What is it that I'm saying that makes it unclear that I'm not freakin debating what you all are spouting????
Quote:
You are demonstrating too many theistic characteristics for me to continue this conversation
and lest we forget the real winners:

Quote:
Rocketman wrote
right--
Easy peasy.
(when I was clearly disagreeing with his response)

Quote:
Well prove it--had a shitty day did we?
[/fightin' words]