View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #24
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
Desillusioned wrote View Post
Words, the pledge is nothing but words.
ACTIONS are what matters. If you wish to bring justice, to be patriotic, to be a good citizen, it should not matter if you say the pledge of allegiance.

I rather give back to my community, follow the law, and express myself, than repeat a pledge and pretend i'm a good U.S.A resident.
I see that most of the mentally deficient population absolutely demands that all convictions and beliefs must be voiced in public before they are considered valid. Marriage, swearing-in, pledges, loyalty oaths, court testimony oaths, prayers, even contracts are all examples of this compulsion to "say it out loud else it cain't be trusted". The other side of this coin is that outright lies stated in one of these public modes are automatically trusted.

Even Jesus' command to pray in private in a closet is superseded by this policy of demanding public expression. It is not enough to be patriotic, to place one's life on the line for one's country, you also have to stand in front of some audience, place your hand reverently over your heart and exclaim your oral love of country.

I have been told that the first soldier in Washington's army executed for treason had signed a loyalty oath.

Can it be that the public would rather hear a lie like "under God" than the true character of the country? Guess so.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote