View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 05:26 PM   #331
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
calpurnpiso wrote View Post
Yes but don't forget the Crap of religious beliefs was not invented yesterday. We are what we eat. A series of accidents & the ingestion of psychotropic substance is IMHO what develop cognition, the belief in gods, over 6m years ago.
Don't forget spirituality can be recreated in the brain, but the acceptance of the illusion as reality is what I'm talking about. Can you educate a schizotypal?..schizophrenia sufferer?..and I'm not referring to an obvious schizophrenic under medication simply regular people that suffer from the malady ( don't forget we are crazy apes) & nobody seems to be aware of it. Many psychiatrist have been unable to tell the TRUE crazy person when tested. In an experiment done few yrs back ( too bad I did not video it) various psychiatrists were tested by placing one schizotypal among few "sane" folks. In the majority of the case Psychiatrists could not see the abnormal person.

Outside of the human head, all religion is just information. We atheists recognize that it is false or null information and believers do not. Of the believers, some have malfunctioning minds and are like schizophrenics, as you say. The vast majority of believers have normal brains just as the proportion of the general society. Believers with normal healthy brains are simply working the best that they can given that they can only access (self-reinforcing) false or null information.

It is a little like a youngster memorizing a multiplication table that has a typographical error and has "12 x 17 = 240". For the rest of his life the person believes "12 x 17 = 240" and, since that particular product probably doesn't arise in a way that the wrongness of the result will be detected, he will have no reason to question or recheck it.

This person certain about a delusion that is quite false but he does not have a malfunctioning brain.

No neurological examination will reveal that his cherished faith in "12 x 17 = 240" is a miswiring of his neurons. Further, no neurologist can surgically correct his certainty that "12 x 17 = 240". He can be turned around to the truth by making him admit that "17 x 12 = 204" and then showing him the whys and wherefores of his delusion.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote