View Single Post
Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
Davin
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote View Post
Hi Davin, long time no write!

I'm not sure what is your objection to my use of the process of evolution in my argument. We know that the process of evolution by natural selection can happen - our own world is evidence of this. So given a vast universe over an infinite period of time evolution may have played out in other worlds - eventually leading to (again over an eternity) a natural selected - indestructible being.
Evolution doesn't lead anywhere. Also, it requires reproduction with mutations. Also, how would it get to be indestructible? That would require another thing to evolve that would be almost an equal level of ability to destroy... you know to keep the selection gearing towards an indestructible being. And who would "win" this "battle?" We could end up with a super destroying being that can destroy anything but not necessarily indestructible.

The other problem, is that you would not end up with one being, you'd end up with an entire species of indestructible beings. Because, you know, that's how evolution works.

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote
I appreciate your view that as infinite past time in my proposal is still growing - then the ultimate being may still come about or evolve in the future.

However, I argue that if the universe is a closed non-infinite system (i.e. there is finite stuff within it) then an evolved or species being may have from the past met a "threshold" level were nothing within the closed system could ever defeat or destroy it .

If the universe is open - limitless (infinite stuff) then I agree the argument becomes weaker as its harder to argue the merits of such a threshold.
I argue that with that much unsurety in the argument, that it's quite weak on it's own.

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote
However if universe is infinite in size and capacity, then the likelihood of at least one if not many extremely powerful - god like beings (from our perspective) is highly likely, by law of averages.
This is a misuse of the law of averages. The law of averages requires subjects to average against. We don't know if such powerful beings are even remotely possible, just like no matter how many infinities you want to stack up, a square circle is not going to happen. Go ahead, multiply infinity by infinity and there still won't be any square circles.

Quote:
Andrew66 wrote
So either way you slice it (universe open or closed), there seems to be a very good chance that there is some kind of intelligent life form out there that is very very powerful (certainly more powerful than us).
I think you need to review your logic and patch up those holes before you start sounding silly.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.
Davin is offline   Reply With Quote