View Single Post
Old 02-01-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
Tenspace
I Live Here

Quote:
"FKA" Paradox wrote
“As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.” Article 11, Treaty of Tripoli, signed by President John Adams"

What do you guys think/know?
Here are some notable facts from the writings of Thomas Jefferson:

Referring to his interpretation of the First Amendment, "I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State." (January 1, 1802, Letter to Danbury Baptist Association)
In his autobiography, referencing the Virginia Act for Religious Freedom, he wrote, “Where the preamble declares, that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed by inserting "Jesus Christ," so that it would read "A departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion;" the insertion was rejected by the great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mohammedan, the Hindoo and Infidel of every denomination."

I'd say they were trying to avoid being cast as a theocracy. Thoughts?

Tenspace

"Science and Mother Nature are in a marriage where Science is always surprised to come home and find Mother Nature blowing the neighbor." - Justin's Dad
Tenspace is offline   Reply With Quote