View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Stevo_fl
New Member!

Oh no, it's the 50/50 again...

People keep slapping me in my fat face with this piece of turgid non-logic: "Either God exists or he doesn't, so it's 50/50", insinuating that there is at least a 50% chance that God exists. "Either he created the world in 6 days, or he didn't, it's one or the other, so it's 50/50".

Oh dear.

Just because you phrase a proposition in such as way as to suggest there there are only two possible outcomes, (God or no God, for example) that in no way implies that the two outcomes have equal probability, like tossing a coin. Using this simple verbal trick, I can make a case for the most ridiculous assertions having at least a 50% probability of being true!

For example, if I throw a piece of dog shit at the wall, it may leave a mark that looks exactly like Ray Comfort's face. Will the shit mark look like Ray? Well, it either will or it won't. Does that mean it's a 50/50 probability that I'm about to create a portrait in poo? Try it with ten thousand turds and you'll have your answer.

Do not allow this dishonest trick to go unchallenged when attempting to have rational conversation with the faithful.

I'm Stevo_fl
Stevo_fl is offline   Reply With Quote