Thread: Groundhog's day
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #612
Sternwallow
I Live Here

Quote:
selliedjoup wrote View Post
I really didn't realise the reasons "for" Atheism were as weak as what you lot proclaim them to be. It's kinda sad really.
The reasons for atheism are exactly as many as the proposed reasons for theism but the theistic ones are invalidated by the lack of evidence in their favor or by sufficient natural explanations.

You say that a first cause is necessary for a universe that had a beginning. The lack of evidence that the proposition is true is one reason in favor of atheism. So just fill in the blank with whatever feature or event you would cite as supporting theism and, when it is invalidated by its lack of evidence, it will be just another reason in favor of atheism.

An uncreated universe is a viable alternative to a created universe because there is no evidence that creation is necessary, especially in light of material known to come into existence without an intentional creator.

You can no longer claim that no viable alternative has been proposed to the first cause hypothesis.

Not believing in something for which there is no evidence is not a kind of belief, it is non-belief or no belief.

I do not believe in atheism nor in science. I tentatively accept, for practical purposes, things for which there is evidence and I have found nothing that must be accepted as definitely true based on insufficient evidence.

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote