View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #15
Sternwallow
I Live Here

I think I have discovered in the previous posts on this thread a new or at least very seldom mentioned motivation for theism.

We are familiar with the common fear of dying and the related desire to see our enemies sorely punished. There are also darker incentives from the damned book which endorses bad behaviors that some people really desire to do, like killing, mayhem, war, destruction, slavery and genocide.

In this thread has appeared a desire to "transcend" common humanity in order to become somehow greater than human. Seems to me this new motive is none other than "Jesus jealousy".

These people want Jesus to tell them the secret of walking on water, creating food and drink from nothing, restoring life, never dying, flying unassisted, being worshipped by multitudes and, truth be told, cavorting with prostitutes without negative consequences.

It is a perfectly natural animal desire to be the star of the show, the ringmaster, the head honcho, so finding such a primitive trait in this stale flavor of theist is no surprise. The desire to emulate and thus gain the powers of Jesus is naturally simian, rather base and not at all noble.

What price would you pay to be loved and worshipped by the millions just as Jesus is?

What would you give for a free pass to take a bath with Bathsheba after having murdered her husband?

"Those who most loudly proclaim their honesty are least likely to possess it."
"Atheism: rejecting all absurdity." S.H.
"Reality, the God alternative"
Sternwallow is offline   Reply With Quote