View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #8
Sinfidel
Obsessed Member

> I'm an American mariner, plying the seas of west Africa from Liberia to Namibia.

Ahoy there!

> Raised a Southern Baptist. I went from defending my particular flavor of belief to being exposed to reality.

Too many days at sea, out of sight of land, can do that to a man!

> I've witnessed a lot of immorality and hipocrasy that has fueled my initial doubt in Christianity and religion in general.

You just can't find better practitioners of immorality and hypocrisy than the religious, although Politicians are a close second.

> I've worked with animists, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists and catholics.

So have I, and one soon realizes the folly of trying to reason with a brain turned to concrete by the religion meme.

> I've started reading Dawkins, Hitchens, Dan Barker, Daniel Denney, Seth Andrews and others.

So many fascinating authors. Do you read them in print, or online? So many engaging debates online!
Before the Internet, it was difficult to find Atheist literature, the local clergy usually ensuring such stuff was kept off the library shelves.
A lot of the older literature is food for the knowledge thirsty, such writers as Joseph McCabe, or Madalyn Murray O'Hair, or Bertrand Russel, and their efforts are so available on the Web.

> I am hungry for truth and seek like minded people to share, learn and grow.

The quest for knowledge is what propels human progress. The Web is a great place for that. The evil enemy is religion.
Expecting Atheists to be a cut above, based on an obvious superior intellect that saw through the deception of Religion, it was a great disappointment to find that atheists were just a cross section of the population, with the usual mix of a few nice, smart folks, and the usual assortment of humbugs.
Here, it seems we're the spiders, waiting for a fundy fly to land on our web, so we can have some fun with him, before it flys off to more fertile grounds for recruitment of the gullibles.
So, be patient, and enjoy. And beware - those ocean voyages, bounding over the waves, the wind in the rigging, the stars overhead, the aloneness can lead to deep thoughts.

Use foolproof airtight logic on a mind that's closed and you're dead. - William J. Reilly, Opening Closed Minds
Sinfidel is offline   Reply With Quote