View Single Post
Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 AM   #70
Eva
Super Moderator

i have a severely retarded cousin. he used to operate at the leve of a 2 year old but i guess that was because he was never taken to any special schools, ever. this uncle and his wife were very catholic. after my aunt died, uncle took cousin to lourdes because he thought the virgin would cure my cousin if they went there. live, not via satellite like from puerto rico, you know.
nothing happened. my cousin was more than 40 years old at the time.
then he put him in a special school/home were in a matter of months he learned to do so many things he was moved to a group home with a supervisor. he can do many tasks already, like dressing himself, talking intelligibly and many manual tasks. he is happier than ever before and loves his community.
my uncle is not rich....but he regrets not having done the special schooling before...

one of life's bittersweet stories, trivialized by religion....

One of the most irrational of all the conventions of modern society is the one to the effect that religious opinions should be respected....That they should have this immunity is an outrage. There is nothing in religious ideas, as a class, to lift them above other ideas. On the contrary, they are always dubious and often quite silly.
H. L. Mencken
Eva is offline   Reply With Quote