Mog
Obsessed Member

Quote:
SteveG wrote
Quote:
Mog wrote
Quote:
Lily wrote
Everyone does have a fair chance, although that is not the ideal way to put it, I don't suppose. If one's psyche is so damaged that it is not possible for one to recognize right and wrong, there can be no culpability. You (all) seem to have a notion of God that makes him little more than an ill-tempered curmudgeon of limited imagination and intelligence. Think big. Very big. Better, smarter, wiser, more compassionate, more attune to the complexities of the human condition than even, even... Richard Dawkins!
The problem is that such a god is not the god defined by Christianity, even the Roman Catholic form of Christianity. This is a deistic god, not a theistic god you are describing.
You are simply mistaken. I strongly suggest that you pick up the Catechism of the Catholic Church, if you want a hint of who the God we believe in is. It's heavy reading, but believe or not, you'll be far better informed about the nature and understanding of the God of Christianity.
I don't think it would convince me. The god Lily is describing isn't the same god that played the jews as heavy favorites in the old testament. Regardless of how God said to disregard the old laws in the old testament, this is an ugly blemish on the reputation of god as a "better, smarter, wiser, more compassionate, more attuned to the complexities of the human condition" than even, well I prefer Douglas R Hofstadter, myself, though he has yet to put out an atheist manifesto-like book.

"It's puzzling that Eden is synonymous with paradise when, if you think about it at all, it's more like a maximum-security prison with twenty-four hour surveillance." -Ann Druyan
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote