View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #390
Lily

Quote:
Irreligious wrote
Lily, I cuss a bit and enjoy ribald humor, but I am not a coarse person by nature. I am occasionally terse with you (as you are with me), but I have never disrespected you. I have never called you names, called you stupid or said anything to impugn your character. I merely disagree with you and vociferously so. That's all.

Edited: I am compelled to add that the vehemence with which I attack your assertions should not be construed as a personal assault on you, Lily, the human being. I respect her (always have), even if I do not necessarily respect all of her opinions.

But let's be real here for a minute, Lily: You certainly do not respect most of my opinions, and you often respond to me as if I were not a 50-year-old, colleged educated man. Still, I don't take it personally. This is a forum to hash out our views. You are the rare theist among atheists here. Of course, you're going to feel abused here. I'd expect no less if I ventured into a theistic setting with my own bold assertions. I have always given you props for your stamina and tenacity. But we're gonna disagree. Often, if not always. Just remember: With me, at least, it ain't personal.
Irr, I have told you and am pleased to repeat that I really, really like you. I feel reasonably certain that I would really, really like you in real life.

I am not saying that you are rude or coarse or anything like that. You are not. I am saying that I see a difference between today and some months back when you first appeared on the scene. I fear that you will lose some of that really remarkable human kindness you displayed back then, if you identify too closely with the forum culture here.

I don't disrespect your opinions-- at least I only know 2 of them. One I agree with; Hedwig was a terrific movie. The other I respect because I think it is philosophically defensible. But not on grounds that depend on the genuine misunderstanding of Christianity or dishonesty regarding what it claims and how it grounds those claims.

Maybe we will find other areas of agreement if we ever talk about our favorite cuisines (me=Thai, Indian), colors, vacation spots, etc.