View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #27
anthonyjfuchs
Obsessed Member

Quote:
Sternwallow wrote View Post
I don't understand your position.
Only that most Muslims are, as you say, "not being good Muslims," if we define a "good Muslims" are one who adheres to and acts on every line of the Qur'an.

No matter how deeply one drowns the human mind in barbaric mythology, I think there will always be a degree of higher-order thought that understands not to act on barbaric superstitions whether or not the individual actually believes them.

That being said, I don't think anyone should be surprised at the destruction being wrought by that tiny minority of Muslims who do act on the barbaric elements of their mythology. As I usually point out, Islam is 1,400 years old. Christianity was just as barbaric when it was 1,400 years old. The difference, of course, is that modern Muslims who are willing to murder have access to nuclear weapons and passenger jets instead of just swords.

Frankly, though, I think that the vast majority of Muslims are drawn instead to Sura 109:

Quote:
Muhammed wrote
109:1 Say: O disbelievers!
109:2 I worship not that which ye worship;
109:3 Nor worship ye that which I worship.
109:4 And I shall not worship that which ye worship.
109:5 Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
109:6 Unto you your religion, and unto me my religion.
If a Muslim adheres to and acts on Sura 109 by living-and-letting-live, aren't they being a good Muslim? Who says that the death-and-destruction lines should supercede the unto-you-your-religion line, or the begin-not-hostilies line (2:190), or the kill-not-one-another line (4:29)?

atheist (n): one who remains unconvinced.
anthonyjfuchs is offline   Reply With Quote