View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Michael
Obsessed Member

Upon reflection, I've come to think that you probably won't grasp at the nuances in my post, so I will break it down a little. My point was two-fold:

1) Saying something offensive and then adding "no offence!" to it does not remove the offensiveness of the statement, nor does it absolve you from saying offensive things. You don't want to offend people? Don't say offensive things. Rather, adding that to the end shows that you knew your statement was offensive enough to go to the effort of telling people "no offense" but did not care about those people enough to not actually offend them. That in itself is offensive.

2) You don't actually understand what atheism is. There is no such thing as "capital Atheism" and "lower-case atheism". There are atheists with differing ideas about gods, some DO even go so far as to say "I am absolutely certain that a god does not exist", but a lot - myself included - see the idea of a god as simply unnecessary, as such until sufficient evidence is given, there is no need to believe in one. We do not "hope" for a god to be true and could not make ourselves do so. For you to think that an omnipotent god would be fooled by our pretending to hope they existed is ridiculous.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote