View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #45
Irreligious
I Live Here

My responses to some pullouts from the article to which Smelly linked:

Quote:
(Ministrywatch's founder, Rusty) Leonard cites TBN as one of the world's 30 worst
ministries, and argues that its style of fundraising is antithetical to Christian beliefs. "Prosperity theology turns the gospel upside down," he says. "Jesus didn't live a wealthy lifestyle. He was the exact opposite. To see God as some kind of Santa Claus is just completely bogus."
Always wondered why some Christians see Christianity as a monolith when it is so obviously not the case.

Christian beliefs are quite varied and very malleable, providing psychological comfort to a wide array of people, from the slave to the slave master, who live disparate realities, are focused on meeting different needs and tethered to a multitude of competing interests.

I think it could be argued that the religion's longevity and pervasiveness are owed, in large part, to the fact that Christianity has the potential to be all things to all people (those who are willing or compelled to buy into it, that is).

In a world where the deprived are often despised by "those who have," some Christians may feel in desperate need of a celestial Santa Claus. But how do you convince some admittedly grownup people that there is no Santa Claus, just a plethora of very earthbound, cynical and highly motivated Grinches who are adept at amassing sheep and fleecing the flock?

Quote:
Like many televangelist organisations before it, TBN has survived its share of legal difficulties. In the 1990s, Paul Crouch secretly paid an accuser $425,000 to keep quiet about an alleged homosexual encounter. When the payment was revealed, he denied the sexual allegations, saying he settled to avoid a costly trial.
What a cliche.

I sometimes wonder if these folks' obsession with demonizing gay sex is nothing more than an attempt at deflection from their own sexual behavior.

Quote:
Regarding the substance of (former TBN Finance Director Brittany Koper's) allegations, made in a legal action in which TBN is not a defendant, (TBN lawyer Colby May) admitted that the network does own two private jets. However, he argued that these are essential for its day-to-day activities. "Because Dr and Mrs Crouch are public figures and receive regular death threats, public aviation and travel is impossible for them," (May) argued.
Interesting that the Crouches don't seem to trust their god to protect them from harm. The Jesus of the Bible did not require bodyguards or a gilded fortress to operate his ministry. The character in the Gospels had only the power of his convictions. That is, his faith. Well, that and omniscience.

"So many gods, so many creeds! So many paths that wind and wind, when just the art of being kind is all this sad world needs."
--Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Irreligious is offline   Reply With Quote